Has anyone heard anything new about the Flash player that's supposedly being developed by Adobe and RIM?
    03-22-10 10:33 AM
    I'd love to hear updates too. Went visiting Skyfire's website and nothing out for berry devices yet sadly.
    03-22-10 11:15 AM
    Skyfire is dead in the water ATM. Nothing working on their end.
    03-22-10 11:16 AM
    Last I heard RIM was working on full flash but that is would most likely require the next generation of hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 11:20 AM
    Sad news for the day *sigh*.......
    03-22-10 11:20 AM
    Skyfire is dead in the water ATM. Nothing working on their end.
    Any more details on this...?
    03-22-10 11:24 AM
    Last I heard RIM was working on full flash but that is would most likely require the next generation of hardware.

Yup thought as much.

It's OK - for me it's worth it.
    03-22-10 11:31 AM
    Any more details on this...?
    Nothing internally for months. Working on Android and iPhone now.
    03-22-10 11:53 AM
    Nothing internally for months. Working on Android and iPhone now.
    So once again Rim will be last..

03-22-10 03:36 PM
    So once again Rim will be last..

As long as RIM's browser (webkit) is stable and works well upon release, no one is going to care about Skyfire for a while.
    03-25-10 07:20 AM
    As long as RIM's browser (webkit) is stable and works well upon release, no one is going to care about Skyfire for a while.
    Exactly, so for now while the webkit browser comes out, skyfire should release atleast something for us.
    03-27-10 10:23 AM
    Exactly, so for now while the webkit browser comes out, skyfire should release atleast something for us.
    Severely unlikely. Gonna have to be happy with Bolt for a while
    03-28-10 04:42 PM
    Skyfire will be mostly useless once RIMs webkit and flash come out...unless the browser sucks really bad.

Skyfires big deal was Flash and it's speed (server side rendering iirc) many of which numerous browser are getting Flash and have speed comparable with Skyfire that give on point renderings due to webkit.

No surprise they abandoned the platform. I think this was their only Java version, whereas Bolt and Opera make their browser for many Java devices So not as much work needs to be done getting it to run on BB. Who the **** is gonna use those once the browser is available? No one most likely.
    03-28-10 05:59 PM
    What about the browser working on older handsets? I'm not talking really old, but last year or so? What about those users? I'm guessing RIM's waiting on 2 year contracts to expire before releasing the browser? lol
    03-28-10 09:24 PM
    Thanks for the good info.

So let me make sure I'm understanding you guys... RIM is developing a browser that will allow me to play flash that is being developed outside of Skyfire right? If so, when is the anticipated release date? Should we expect this new webkit to be at least on par with Opera Mini (even though it has its own flaws...i know it's still technically a beta version)?
    03-29-10 09:48 AM
    RIM get Flash working on BB? Are you serious?

It's not even working on the Google Nexus One yet so I can promise you it will NEVER come to BB. RIM may say they are working to get flash on BB but they are just lying to try and give the appearance that it is even possible, which it is not.

feel free to quote me on this because I will never have to eat crow

same as skyfire for BB was always horse****

someday...many many moons from now, RIM will get around to releasing the webkit and quietly mention that it will not support flash. flash on a BB...that is truly a funny thought.... if it was not so sad.

any Blackberry browser would choke on Flash and it's going to take a heck of a lot more than one gen of hardware or software improvements to change that. When it comes to RIM and the way they update, it will be YEARS before they have software or hardware that could even begin to handle flash.
    Last edited by Marine One; 03-29-10 at 05:17 PM.
    03-29-10 05:04 PM
    Flash is a resource hog. Even the programs you need to design Flash are resource hogs. That being said, its an industry standard to use Flash in website design and until there is a proven alternative, it will be around for quite some time and devices that are geared toward a full web browsing experience must be able to utilize it or at least give the use the option of being able to view it.
    03-29-10 06:36 PM
    RIM has gone public with their flash plans, as has Adobe. Flash will come to the mobile platform. Look at the specs for Flash 10:

ntel� Pentium� II 450MHz, AMD Athlon� 600MHz or faster processor (or equivalent)
    128MB of RAM
    The hardware is out there, the software just needs to come out for it.
    03-30-10 09:38 AM
    RIM get Flash working on BB? Are you serious?

It's not even working on the Google Nexus One yet so I can promise you it will NEVER come to BB. RIM may say they are working to get flash on BB but they are just lying to try and give the appearance that it is even possible, which it is not.

feel free to quote me on this because I will never have to eat crow

same as skyfire for BB was always horse****

someday...many many moons from now, RIM will get around to releasing the webkit and quietly mention that it will not support flash. flash on a BB...that is truly a funny thought.... if it was not so sad.

any Blackberry browser would choke on Flash and it's going to take a heck of a lot more than one gen of hardware or software improvements to change that. When it comes to RIM and the way they update, it will be YEARS before they have software or hardware that could even begin to handle flash.
    I admire the level of certainty with which you exress your sentiments! Let's readdress this thread when the kit is released....one of us will be saying "I TOLD you so!!!"
    03-30-10 09:46 AM
    RIM has gone public with their flash plans, as has Adobe. Flash will come to the mobile platform. Look at the specs for Flash 10:

The hardware is out there, the software just needs to come out for it.

Just wish we had a time frame....
    03-30-10 09:47 AM
    I admire the level of certainty with which you exress your sentiments! Let's readdress this thread when the kit is released....one of us will be saying "I TOLD you so!!!"
    Hey I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

I'm not looking to see RIM fail in any way... I've just lost faith. They've been saying flash was coming for years now. Now that I have a Nexus One in my hand that does not have flash, it makes me question whether it will ever be on the BB platform.

If flash is still too buggy for a Nexus One with a snapdragon chip in it and it's ability to render data quickly, how can it even be withing the realm of possibility that BB or adobe is even close to getting it to work on the bb platform? I just cannot see it.

Someday maybe, but not for years, if ever, imo.
    03-30-10 11:48 AM
    The reason that I think it's s possibility is that one particular mod once called one of the upcoming phones a "gamechanger." This was someone who was not prone to hyperbole at all and had tons of inside info. Man, when he said that I hung on to that and my husband decided to wait for it instead of going for the 9700.
    Since then some very, very knowledgeable people have been dropping bit of info like Sith just did.
    So....with a new webkit I'm thinking it's finally a possibility. I'd pay for a new phone if it requires hardware, no problem at all!!!
    03-30-10 12:01 PM
    First Flash Player update will probably drop on the Slider this Summer...
    03-30-10 01:56 PM
    So do I not need Flash if I am running Opera?
    03-31-10 02:49 AM
    You will still need Flash if you go to certain websites. Example, Facebook games. I can't feed Farmville addiction when I'm on the road. You will encounter the same thing in other sites, with animation and very heavy content.
    03-31-10 02:56 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD