I'm trying to figure out why this race to get full flash on mobile browsers? So far I much preffer the standerd blackberry browser to opera or bolt.

Is flash really just so you can see all those fancy adds on the sides of the webpages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 06:52 AM
    You can watch videos from within any webpage with flash just like in a computer...
    08-20-09 07:00 AM
    That could be usefull. Does that mean that as soon as you enter a webpage that has video advertising on it it will start playing it? And use a lot of your data in the meantime?

08-20-09 07:17 AM
    It means that you could view a lot more websites- ones that are built-in with flash. It also means you can watch videos from sites other than youtube, etc. As for video advertising, I'm not sure, but the benefits of Flash would far outweigh a small inconvenience such as that
    08-20-09 07:56 AM
    Yea it will play video advertising and yea it does use data, but I'm sure you will be able to disable this feature if you don't have unlimited data
    08-20-09 08:04 AM
    I have "unlimited" data but it never really is unlimited. I think I have a 500mb fair usage. Would flash slow the browser down?

I'm not against flash and I'm sure there will be a setting to turn it off. Most of the time I can't even be bothered with my laptop when I get home, I prefer to surf on the phone with wifi.

Remember when you couldn't go to a page without something popping out at you? Is flash a way around pop up blockers I wander?

08-20-09 08:17 AM
    Flash pages will render a lil slower but I don't think by much, I'm pretty sure u will be able to turn it off when you don't want to use it

I doubt pop ups will come up like that, I don't think so...
    08-20-09 08:27 AM
    If ti works like the current implementation of displaying YouTube videos, then possibly the flash capabilities wouldn't be accessed until clicked on (like clicking on a video). Possibly ads that use flash would only show up if you clicked on them. That would speed up web pages and such.
    08-20-09 05:09 PM
    Flash pages will render a lil slower but I don't think by much, I'm pretty sure u will be able to turn it off when you don't want to use it

I doubt pop ups will come up like that, I don't think so...
    Actually, on most of the browsers that don't handle the flash entirely on a server (like Skyfire does), it impacts browsing performance heavily...

And if you do handle it on a server (Skyfire), you lose abilities like fullscreen flash, because the flash player has no idea what your real screen resolution is.
    08-20-09 05:15 PM
    Also it impacts your browsing experience negatively even if you don't click on the flash video.

This is because it has to load the player for each video even if you aren't loading the video. Nokia's browser has an option to disable flash content by default, which is the only way around this really.
    08-20-09 05:18 PM
    I will never understand the need for Flash. If it is important
    enough for me to view, I'll view it a proper computer.
    08-20-09 05:38 PM
    I have never understood this need either. Especially in our already caffeinated
    society. I cannot stand another browser that's not the actual BB browser.
    I would hate a BB browser with flash. As long as I had the option to turn it
    off that would be fine with me though.

Papped is absolutely correct. It slows pages down from loading. I don't
    care how they implement it.

And I'm on the same page with Ken. If there's a site that I need to see so
    badly that requires flash, I have a laptop here at work or at home which
    works just fine for me.
    08-20-09 05:49 PM
    Those that are so "hot and heavy" (pardon the pun) for Flash are mostly looking to view videos of the non-family friendly nature.

Guess they can't wait until they get back to their computer.
    08-20-09 05:56 PM
    Those that are so "hot and heavy" (pardon the pun) for Flash are mostly looking to view videos of the non-family friendly nature.

Guess they can't wait until they get back to their computer.
    That makes sense in a shockingly frightening sort of way
    08-20-09 06:02 PM
    Don't care about flash. My favorite sites all have mobile versions anyhow.

08-20-09 06:28 PM
    I would have to say I like it just as it is without flash as well.I can see anything that I want to see already btw and I am still with the default browser as well
    08-20-09 06:32 PM
    First thing that impressed me when I bought my blackberry was the way the browser was optimized, it's almost no difference between gprs and wifi.
    I hope they don't mess with that. When I enter a page, let's say a forum, I'm not interested on what's on the sides, only what's in the middle
    08-20-09 06:32 PM
    I find flash useful as a stand alone player...

i.e., save .swf files and play games that way.
    load flash urls and view only the video (problem is a lot of sites try to avoid you from doing this)

But I've had several phones with flash support now... Flash has more drawbacks than pro's when it comes to browsing. The server approach isn't an "all" solution either (just like Opera Mini isn't the answer to every browsing scenario).

The main reason is that it's a massive resource hog and is HUGELY taken advantage of by ads. All current phones will experience some flash performance issues with flash lite, let alone Flash 10+ down the road... Yeah if you throw enough hardware at it, it might work ok. But that's a big if and it will definitely be a tradeoff in more ways than 1.
    Last edited by papped; 08-20-09 at 06:45 PM.
    08-20-09 06:43 PM
    Flash would be useful to view sites with flash navigation windows. My employer built all of their navigation tabs and links via Flash. I'm unable to navigate the sites they've created from my BlackBerry. There is no WAP version for the sites either.

08-20-09 08:43 PM
    First thing that impressed me when I bought my blackberry was the way the browser was optimized, it's almost no difference between gprs and wifi.
    If there is no big difference, then there is something wrong with your WiFi.
    08-20-09 09:57 PM
    Well, I only get 1.3 speed download and 0.3 upload so it could be. For normal pages like this forum there's not that much difference. Downloading is a lot faster on the wifi tho.

08-21-09 02:07 AM
    Would just like to share a sad sort of story...was on laptop...eating...drinking...and getting to the end of this story, I flooded my laptop with the drink. Dead. D-E-A-D. So now I am stuck, whenever I need to browse outside of home, doing it on my phone...and let's just say video viewing on sites other than YouTube is pretty much out of the question, which really impacts my breaks negatively...(Knowing me, 90% of my day is "breaks")
    08-21-09 07:15 PM
    That is a sad story. And not in the way that you meant the word "sad".
    08-21-09 07:22 PM
    That is a sad story. And not in the way that you meant the word "sad".
    Oh well, I'm never at home and never have any access to a comp (not an office sort of job...)...basically I'm on BB 24/7...racked up 3 gigs within a week^^
    08-21-09 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD