I am wondering if Adobe is pushing this out to throw it in Apple's face...?

Adobe CEO: Flash coming to Android, WebOS and BlackBerry 'smartphones and tablets' in 2H 2010

By Vladislav Savov posted Apr 18th 2010 6:07AM

This week Adobe released version 5 of its Creative Suite software compilation. CEO Shantanu Narayen has naturally hit the interview trail to promote his company's wares, but the biggest news from him is actually a delay of sorts. We'd previously heard that Android, WebOS and BlackBerry versions of Flash 10.1 would be available in the first half of 2010, but Adobe's chief now places delivery to those platforms in the second half of the year. At least consolation may be found in his teasing of new Flash-enabled tablets -- most likely to be running Android or Chrome OS -- which we're told to expect to see within the same time frame. As to the question of Apple's holdout from Flash nirvana, Narayen describes it as a business rather than technology decision, which "hurts consumers" and will ultimately be judged by people voting "for the experience that they want through their wallet." Can't really argue with that. Skip past the break for the full interview.

Adobe CEO: Flash coming to Android, WebOS and BlackBerry 'smartphones and tablets' in 2H 2010 -- Engadget
    04-18-10 08:14 AM
    Hopefully it's perfected for mobile devices. Because right now, I could care less about it but if it comes and it works well then I'll use it.
    04-18-10 09:38 AM
    I'd use it for sure....been waiting a long time now.
    04-18-10 11:02 AM
    Isn't this how Skyfire started out. Soon.......ok, we're working on it.........soon guys, soon...........extended silence..........ok, RIM's SDK is garbage and we're not making a browser for you anymore.
    04-18-10 12:48 PM
    Nice! I'm assuming it can be turned on and off at will. It would be great for streaming videos, but would be a battery drain otherwise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 02:53 PM
    Does anyone really care about flash until we get a new browser? Companies need to follow the Apple model and stop talking and start delivering. How long have we heard about flash coming to Blackberry, Palm and android (hero has flash lite)? Even the Pre doesn't have it yet and that was one of the big features touted on the latest update.
    04-18-10 03:08 PM
    I mean lets look at the facts.

The demoed it meaning its been built for a while. Now with a full half year delay there are obviously unforeseen issues with it causing the delay.

Seems like the Flash being bloated and not performing well have some truth to it.

I personally dont see the benefit to flash on such small screens, even the 3.5-3.7" screens, the flash itself well be a 1/2 inch box of movement, especially of BB screens.

I know for the iphone there are a few ways to play flash videos at least, a few javascript weblinks that you bookmark and hit the bookmark after loading the flash content page and it converts the video into playable content in the proper video format. Good enough for me, have no desire for flash ads and stupid games like farmville (never even played it)
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 03:17 PM.
    04-18-10 03:14 PM
    Hopefully with the acquisition of torch mobile and the web-kit browser things are going to change.

I have been faithful to BB for a while now but, like many others, am getting tired of waiting. I love my 9700, but I have already determined that I will be researching other phones if one of the two actions were to happen:
    1. Of all of the "exciting news" Blackberry mentions, if nothing happens by my upgrade in December 2010 I will be searching for something else.

or

2. If I am required to upgrade hardware to enjoy these changes. I will not continue to support a company if my phone is considered obsolete after a year of use.
    04-18-10 04:12 PM
    This would be a headshot to our batteries. I'd use it, just saying it kills battery.
    04-18-10 04:26 PM
    This would be a headshot to our batteries. I'd use it, just saying it kills battery.
    That's alright... RIM's working dilligently at phasing out all the current BBs that can't use the browser and don't have the newer optimized power efficiencies of the 9700.

83xx = bye
    81xx = bye
    88xx = bye
    8900 = bye
    9500/9530 = bye
    etc...

This is most likely why they're taking their time releasing the browser... to give people/carriers time to discontinue the old models (some not so old) and phase in the "new" models that are shortchanged on specs in order to play nice with the new software in the pipe.
    04-18-10 06:26 PM
    Yep flash is a pig, and none of our stuff will run it anyway. So you'll have to buy new hardware. Sorry but I'm not upgrading just for flash.
    04-18-10 07:29 PM
    Isn't this how Skyfire started out. Soon.......ok, we're working on it.........soon guys, soon...........extended silence..........ok, RIM's SDK is garbage and we're not making a browser for you anymore.
    Because it is garbage. Skyfire works great on S60 and Windows Mobile, and soon enough on Android, too. Please don't fanboy me with the amazing prowess of RIM; email isn't the only thing, and when it comes to business email, windows mobile/ outlook outshines BES anyday. For one it isn't dependent on Rim's servers, can delay push if the user deems that necessary, much more user control via ActiveSync.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 07:59 PM
    That's alright... RIM's working dilligently at phasing out all the current BBs that can't use the browser and don't have the newer optimized power efficiencies of the 9700.

83xx = bye
    81xx = bye
    88xx = bye
    8900 = bye
    9500/9530 = bye
    etc...

This is most likely why they're taking their time releasing the browser... to give people/carriers time to discontinue the old models (some not so old) and phase in the "new" models that are shortchanged on specs in order to play nice with the new software in the pipe.
    I see. It's a kinda unfair, people who are using those models can't enjoy fully of their phones.

It doesn't bother me. Vodafone let's me chose a new device in October/November, so hopefully RIM has released the new line before that time of the year.
    04-19-10 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD