Like I asked her wizened opinion about my choice of phone, when I mentioned I had a BB, the cashier at ACE Cash Express today told me she "hates BlackBerry, it's dying anyways".

Sound the death knell. The most important prognosticator on mobile phone platforms has called it. Bye-bye RIM.

(obviously, I'm being sarcastic. If you take that last part literally, I am astounded at the lack of intelligence you are showing in your assessment of that part)

I really don't understand why people think I care what they think about my phone. Like I can be brow beaten by the majority into changing my mind or something. I have never had an Apple product, nor have I ever had an Android product. I believe the implications of their collective mass acceptance as markets (the extreme ends of the scale, one being a closed market (tyrannical, closed field), the other a free market (open field with some pretty flowers, but exponentially more weeds and no gardener to pull them)) compared to RIMs semi-controlled open market (pretty flowers, some volunteered by the surrounding wilderness, few weeds, and a gardener) could imply mass acceptance of such principles on grander scales by current and future generations. It makes my decision to stick with RIM more than just a choice, it makes it a reflection of my worldview. That's not gonna change because of anyone's opinion but my own. And if RIM goes down, which I personally am not worried about, and no suitable alternative takes its place, I will probably just go back to not having a mobile phone again. I don't need to be constantly connected that urgently, that I would have to compromise my principles to continue being so.

I did not do what a younger me would do, and tell this lady where she could put her opinion. I just gave her the fist wag and said "RIM will rise again", and continued with my business. Though I was kinda amazed, I am used to people like that here on the forums and within circles of personal acquaintance, but not from total strangers in a business setting. It was slightly offensive.
    catberryday and sleepngbear like this.
    07-04-12 02:43 AM
    Ok I'll ask: What's an ACE Cash Express ??

Si.
    07-04-12 03:12 AM
    I agree with you! I am tired of people telling me what phone I should have. My bb is not a walking advertisement for ten million companies trying to sell me things or collect every little thing I do so they can make money off me. Sure that may happen to a small extent but not as much as on other platforms. I couldn't even upgrade my husband's 9800 to a 9810 without the AT&T store rep telling me that RIM is in trouble and having problems. He said his stores don't carry bb's anymore because nobody wants them. I said I do and my husband does. I made him order the 9810.
    ThaSwapMeetPimp and ..Steve.. like this.
    07-04-12 03:20 AM
    It happens everywhere my friend, in my boy's school he was told Blackberry is dead and iphone is much better..... By a kid that doesn't have either, his dad has an iphone.(My boy has my old 9700 but it stays at home)

In my wife's office block, the owner of an IT company was trying to convince her BlackBerry is dead, going out of business, they're crap etc when he saw her Pearl.

Look, you can unlock the phone by looking into it he said.

Most Android people are annoying to be honest, most, not all but I haven't met one that never tried to convince me how great it is.
    07-04-12 03:25 AM
    Ok I'll ask: What's an ACE Cash Express ??

Si.
    A check cashing place. Phone came up cause I was getting a prepaid debit card so I could pay part of my phone bill and extend it out til my next payday. TMo wouldn't let me extend it that far out without it. Been a customer for 3 years as of yesterday actually and they wouldn't let me slide by 4 days on half my bill cause I was trying to pay with cash and I don't have a bank account, never trusted banks and after the way they have tanked the economy, my distrust was rather justified.
    07-04-12 03:29 AM
    I don't try to convince people how good Android is, and I have a HTC One X, I just love to use it and that's all that matters. Same goes for BB, I love to use BB and that's all that matters.

I get that sentiment at school too as I'm a guy who has pretty much used Android for two years while my peers have I phones. Do I really care about that? Not really.

That said, BB is bound to get a lot of stick for the missed opportunities they had over the years. They are going to suffer some form of criticism, to say they shouldn't would be a naive line of thought.
    07-04-12 03:34 AM
    I don't try to convince people how good Android is, and I have a HTC One X, I just love to use it and that's all that matters. Same goes for BB, I love to use BB and that's all that matters.

I get that sentiment at school too as I'm a guy who has pretty much used Android for two years while my peers have I phones. Do I really care about that? Not really.

That said, BB is bound to get a lot of stick for the missed opportunities they had over the years. They are going to suffer some form of criticism, to say they shouldn't would be a naive line of thought.
    I didn't say she couldn't criticize it, or shouldn't, I am saying she was acting in a professional capacity as a representative of a company that has nothing to do with my mobile phone experience, and while wearing that hat should probably keep a negative opinion as such to herself unless specifically asked for her candid assessment. When in a professional capacity, I believe a person should, in most instances follow the old "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" adage, unless it's their job to make such assessments. Which it is definitely not a cashiers job at a check cashing place to do.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-04-12 03:44 AM
    She must be wasting her life as a cashier to be so sure that BB is dying. Many life long traders are still on the fence where to long RIMM from whilst, most it seems are still long term short.
    07-04-12 04:17 AM
    I didn't say she couldn't criticize it, or shouldn't, I am saying she was acting in a professional capacity as a representative of a company that has nothing to do with my mobile phone experience, and while wearing that hat should probably keep a negative opinion as such to herself unless specifically asked for her candid assessment. When in a professional capacity, I believe a person should, in most instances follow the old "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" adage, unless it's their job to make such assessments. Which it is definitely not a cashiers job at a check cashing place to do.
    While I agree with you, there's pretty much nothing you can do other than snub her one:

Oooh what phone are you using then, lady? Oooh the Iphone 4S, you mean the phone that can't make calls and has no NFC for counter payments?

Then walk away with that all-knowing grin...
    07-04-12 04:39 AM
    One day we'll laugh at these "well informed" people.
    revenge is a dish best served cold
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-04-12 05:09 AM
    +1 to that.

I never understood what RIM did in order for people to say they hate BB and wishes for RIM to die? What have RIM done to them? Did Mike and Jim throw a BB down from a high rise building and hit them in the head?

But if you try to put yourself in their shoes, perhaps they have had a bad experience with a BB, and is now just trying to be nice and prevent others from going down the same path?

Who knows??? But it never hurts to apply the "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule.

We can always criticize other platforms if we want to, simply because no platform is perfect. I know this because I have used most of the major OS now. iOS 1-5, WP 7.5, Android 2.3 - 4.0, and BBOS 4.0 - 7.1. I can find plenty of points that they are lacking in, and also plenty of points that I think others are doing much better. But what is the point?

For those who can't keep their opinions to themselves, lets just live and let live. No point wasting our energy on such trivial matters. We know what we want, we know what we like. Let others say what they want.

Peace out.
    07-04-12 06:10 AM
    Oh boy, I must admit I have been guilty of criticizing other platforms so many times. I don't condone it but I doubt any Apple fan would find my opinions valid anyways.
    07-04-12 06:26 AM
    The fact that we would spend more than one second caring what a cashier at a store thinks about your phone is amazing to me.
    07-04-12 06:53 AM
    This reminds me of one of my favorite Seinfeld lines:

"I can't date someone if I don't respect what they do."
    "BUT YOU'RE A CASHIEEEER!!!"
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    07-04-12 08:07 AM
    It happens everywhere my friend, in my boy's school he was told Blackberry is dead and iphone is much better..... By a kid that doesn't have either, his dad has an iphone.(My boy has my old 9700 but it stays at home)

In my wife's office block, the owner of an IT company was trying to convince her BlackBerry is dead, going out of business, they're crap etc when he saw her Pearl.

Look, you can unlock the phone by looking into it he said.

Most Android people are annoying to be honest, most, not all but I haven't met one that never tried to convince me how great it is.
    I have! Never from a Samsung owner but the other brands? Woof! Its never the OS thats the problem but rather the hardware.
    07-04-12 09:03 AM
    I really don't understand why people think I care what they think about my phone.
    This says it all.

Or why they should care what I think about theirs.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-04-12 at 09:30 AM.
    07-04-12 09:27 AM
    This is one of RIM's biggest challenges. Seems like an awful lot of consumers hate BlackBerry. Just go on Twitter sometime and search for "BlackBerry". There is so much negativity aimed at BlackBerry users that it is insane. The other day I seen someone say "If you are still using a BlackBerry do me a favor and kill yourself". Only a moron would say anything that stupid. But it is pretty common to see BlackBerry hate like that.

Not only do consumers hate BlackBerry, the carriers do also. I first experienced this when I went to buy the Storm 2. The Verizon salesmen told me "RIM was dying" and that "I should get a droid" and "no one is buying BlackBerry smartphones anymore". I asked to see the manager of that store and he repeated word for word what the salesmen had told me basically. The Storm 2 was a long time ago. So just imagine how many customers have had to listen to that over the years. It happened when I bought the 9650 also. When I got the 9930 I ordered it from the website just to avoid dealing with that kind of nonsense.

BlackBerry 10 doesn't stand a chance, because consumers and carriers aren't gonna change their mind over night.
    07-04-12 09:41 AM
    While I agree with you, there's pretty much nothing you can do other than snub her one:

Oooh what phone are you using then, lady? Oooh the Iphone 4S, you mean the phone that can't make calls and has no NFC for counter payments?

Then walk away with that all-knowing grin...
    The 4s make calls just fine. I am not sure the average check cashing establishment is a hotbed of NFC activity.
    07-04-12 03:14 PM
    I can only think of two times I've even made a comment on a device. And that was to ask if I could check them out. 1 was the palm-pre which my buddy had and I really liked the way it looked. The other was a galaxy tab.

Until I started using a Galaxy Note, I had never had anyone ever make a comment on any device I've carried. And now it's more common than uncommon to receive comments.

I don't understand why people even feel the need to comment negatively on a material possession someone has.

And hating on a device? Seriously? I understand hating those that molest children. I don't understand hating a phone. Really?
    07-04-12 03:36 PM
    Who cares what anyone says, why are you getting so defensive and venting on a forum, that astounds me more. This was offensive to you? geez... I weep for humanity. Every year since we've hit 2k everyone gets a little more wuss in them I swear.
    07-04-12 04:20 PM
    Who cares? Use what works best for you. That is all that matters.
    07-04-12 04:25 PM
    I agree with you for the most part.
    But, if it was to ever die (doubt it will but if it was I wouldn't be surprised) I'd go back to my 4S.

Love Blackberry, but I'm not a "brand loyalist" & I need a mobile device.
    So I couldn't just give up having a cell phone like you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-04-12 04:31 PM
    Sounds like you took this waaayyyy too personal.

Let RIM and Thor fight their own battles.
    07-04-12 04:52 PM
    I really don't understand why people think I care what they think about my phone. Like I can be brow beaten by the majority into changing my mind or something.
    Unfortunately, far too many people are swayed by exactly that.

Lulz @ the fist wave though!
    07-04-12 07:18 PM
    The 4s make calls just fine. I am not sure the average check cashing establishment is a hotbed of NFC activity.
    Better still, pay for the product using NFC right in front of her for maximum effect.
    07-05-12 02:45 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD