EXACTLY!!! - Dead, dead, dead except for silly sites that are in real trouble like MLB.com. Who the heck goes there? And for those couple of weird people that need for some crazy reason to go there, fortunately there's an MLB mobile app, well except for BB. But the Android works, well, except for video.
    I just went to mlb.com on a mobile device that doesn't have Flash, and was able to play video just fine.
    02-01-16 11:03 AM
    Yes, flash is being phased out, as it's somewhat of a security nightmare. I remember a time when BlackBerry mentioned that they were removing flash support in 10.3. Many on here made a huge fuss, and it's hardly noticeable factor of Internet browsing on BB10.

In short, too many drama queens being vocal online...

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    02-01-16 11:46 AM
    We're getting close to the critical mass where a lot of companies are going to finally start paying attention and funding updates for their web properties. As major browsers and platforms discontinue Flash support, usage of Flash sites are dropping, and that will accelerate as fewer workarounds are available.

As always, there will be holdouts who will refuse to change long after most have moved on (not a new concept here...) but I think over the next 2 years we are going to see some big progress in the replacement of Flash. I expect government to be the slowest moving major group; most businesses will react more quickly once they start losing traffic or get a high volume of complaints from customers who can't use their services.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-16 02:32 PM
    Are there really all that many sites that ONLY use flash? I surf A LOT with my mobile devices, none of which support flash anymore. And I can't recall any time in the past year where I couldn't view the content. I know a lot of sites still support flash to accommodate older browsers that don't support much in the way of HTML5, but it's been a while since I've encountered a Flash Only site.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    02-01-16 03:07 PM
    There are still a surprising number, yes, but that number has been declining - and "more important" (non-government) sites have been transitioning faster than average, while lots of small companies and personal-use sites are moving slower - but there have been plenty of workarounds until recently, as the big boys have been chopping support and forcing people into using ever smaller niche apps as a work-around. That's not sustainable for the sites, and if they want traffic, they're going to have to spend some money and update their sites.
    02-01-16 08:56 PM
    Are there really all that many sites that ONLY use flash?
    Not that many. But the ones that do, have contents that generates a lot of cash, with millions of users willing to buy Windows (x86) tablet just so they can enjoy it on the go. Migration will probably be too expensive, so their only option is too keep using Flash until the product's not making money.
    02-02-16 02:07 AM
    We're getting close to the critical mass where a lot of companies are going to finally start paying attention and funding updates for their web properties. As major browsers and platforms discontinue Flash support, usage of Flash sites are dropping, and that will accelerate as fewer workarounds are available.

As always, there will be holdouts who will refuse to change long after most have moved on (not a new concept here...) but I think over the next 2 years we are going to see some big progress in the replacement of Flash. I expect government to be the slowest moving major group; most businesses will react more quickly once they start losing traffic or get a high volume of complaints from customers who can't use their services.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Windows XP is still in use.... some need it, some are lazy, some are running legacy apps that aren't supported by software companies anymore, or those companies that have simply disappeared...

Not great, but that's the way it is with some industry-specific software... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    02-02-16 02:48 AM
    Pretty much most tv stations use flash, raycom and Hearst, for example.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 03:34 AM
    Windows XP is still in use.... some need it, some are lazy, some are running legacy apps that aren't supported by software companies anymore, or those companies that have simply disappeared...

Not great, but that's the way it is with some industry-specific software... :-)
    Oh, I'm only too well aware. There are lots of ancient web apps that require IE6 to run properly, and plenty of apps that were never written to proper Windows standards and thus only run on WinXP because MS finally started enforcing those standards in Vista (such as: not writing user data into the application directory, for example - where lots of programs used to put .INI files).

As I said, there will always be some holdouts, and government is going to be one of them, but most other companies have or are starting to move because the writing is on the wall and soon they're going to be seeing usage of their platforms declining - and their revenues along with it.
    02-02-16 07:09 PM
    I love my current Z30 as a communication device and have what apps I want, like Fitbit from Amazon and Evernote from BlackBerry World. However my wife and daughter joined Weight Watchers online and the mobile app would not install on their BB10s as it has been transferred to Google Play. I advised them to use the browser to download WW's WebPage and guess what! It needs Flash!! They are so mad that these 2 long time BlackBerry fan girls are talking about getting androids ( I suggested Privs-- lol)

BB, Still the One
    02-03-16 09:29 AM
    I love my current Z30 as a communication device and have what apps I want, like Fitbit from Amazon and Evernote from BlackBerry World. However my wife and daughter joined Weight Watchers online and the mobile app would not install on their BB10s as it has been transferred to Google Play. I advised them to use the browser to download WW's WebPage and guess what! It needs Flash!! They are so mad that these 2 long time BlackBerry fan girls are talking about getting androids ( I suggested Privs-- lol)

BB, Still the One
    The Web app revolution that never was. HTML5 was supposed to save the day with standards and the Web app was to rule them all! Lol

Oh well, maybe in a decade lol

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    02-03-16 09:55 AM
    The Web app revolution that never was. HTML5 was supposed to save the day with standards and the Web app was to rule them all! Lol

Yeah, they made it sound like it would be full blown by now.
    02-03-16 10:07 AM
    Are there really all that many sites that ONLY use flash? I surf A LOT with my mobile devices, none of which support flash anymore. And I can't recall any time in the past year where I couldn't view the content. I know a lot of sites still support flash to accommodate older browsers that don't support much in the way of HTML5, but it's been a while since I've encountered a Flash Only site.
    This is like an 8 month old thread and Flash is reducing at about 30% per year - soon most people won't bump into it . Flash is dying but will never completely die. Heck I'm still seeing jobs for flash developers.

That said, there are plenty of flash options. Zeus. My free counterpart flash browser. And of course diving into the Droid side.

To date no known exploit from Flash has impacted BB10 - and it really can't, they have smart architecture. And flash is double sandboxed. But it is a massive battery hog and the mobile versions grow apart more and more from Flash every day.

What people *might* be surprised to know, is that HTML5 is actually less secure than Flash on mobile as it's single sandboxed and protection levels vary from browser to Browser.

But the real reason HTML5 is taking forever is that it requires every browser being built to be in agreement and there is no uniformly agreed to DRM standard. Plugin based approaches require only one team to build and design, so it's easier to make it uniform

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    02-03-16 10:42 AM

IPv6 is twenty years old now and is just beginning to get traction. Never underestimate the human desire for inertia.

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    02-16-16 05:38 PM
    IPv6 is twenty years old now and is just beginning to get traction.
    Because it has superior features to IPv4, but it was unnecessary to use those features until IPv4 was no longer adequate (because all of the possible IPv4 addresses were used up). HTML5 doesn't have anything that is superior to native app development, and almost certainly never will.
    02-18-16 06:46 AM
    Because it has superior features to IPv4, but it was unnecessary to use those features until IPv4 was no longer adequate (because all of the possible IPv4 addresses were used up). HTML5 doesn't have anything that is superior to native app development, and almost certainly never will.
    I think you actually proved his point .

Flash is going through the same thing, some websites haven't migrated to three factors (more than anything else). Flash has a deeper toolset. Flash has much better DRM. And in most cases Flash is more performant and predictability.

As for Flash versus Native, Flash did something Cascades can't. It exported and just ran on three platforms. And believe it or not, the BB10 AIR SDK could do more than the Native one - just the WebView alone exposed almost twice as many options. And if the BBRY api's weren't good enough, you could leverage Android ones inside the same build. Couple that with the fact early PlayBook developers had to use AIR for development, and it explains why it was used so much.

Not saying it's right, but it's my experience that everything is cause and effect. The app battle is over its the web battle that still needs finality.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    02-20-16 10:09 AM
41 12