So in another thread, I've reported how my GPS chip often.. craps out. Won't respond to any application until I reboot the phone - really, really annoying.

Now I am finding, that when it DOES work.. it seems to log ludicrous data at times. I posted some images on Emacberry's forum, to see if any other GPSlogger users have seen this..

forum.emacberry.com • View topic - Crazy Speeds and Elevations? and attaching the graphics here too. Why do I get these insane values?

"run" is just a run I took last night.. where I somehow hit 80+mph.. and the "golf_profile" shows some nutty speed/elevation action as I logged a round of golf.

Considering the fact that my GPS is so often unresponsive, I doubt that the errors are from the GPSlogger software.. anyone else seeing this kind of behavior?
    08-12-09 08:16 PM
    gps' can do that even "real" ones. Last week we took a hike and my 8830 with gpslogger got the hike, a steep one, 1 mile and up 2,000 feet correct while my friend's Garmin got the up correct but got a spurious point 4 miles off the route on the way down.
    08-12-09 10:33 PM
    i have same problem
    my gps can't work ing with any gps software
    can anyone help ?
    08-12-09 11:01 PM
    GPS doesn't give very accurate elevation on any type of receiver, unless corrected by using a differential signal source of a known elevation.

Not many differential transmitters are out there any more since they removed the error injection from GPS signals a while back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 12:13 AM
    That's a common issue with any GPS, including the handheld variety such as the Garmin ETrex. It occurs when the receiver loses a signal during that portion of the log event, and it skips from one point to the next. If you had a perfect signal throughout the whole track, I am sure this event would be greatly reduced or nonexistent. But it has to do with the unit's sensitivity and how it reads and interpets the data it receives, and there's not much you can do about it. It's hit or miss.
    As far as your speed goes, what it's doing is averaging the speed over the course of distance you're running and that spike that's on your profile is what is throwing the whole thing off- it's missing data that it is trying to compensate for by improperly calculating average speeds.
    Last edited by jetaddict; 08-13-09 at 08:14 AM.
    08-13-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD