I'll argue that. The Z30 was the best device BB ever made. Fast code, amoled screen, stereo speakers, wireless charging on the STA100-3, abiliity to run Android apps (some), power button on the top etc.
    There was a Z30 with wireless charging?
    12-31-16 09:34 AM
    Yes, the Verizon variant has it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-31-16 10:38 AM
    Even though I'm only reading the article now, it's still a very nice read. I still feel the 'Flagship' device for OEMs will live on. Not in the sense that they will be way more powerful than the 'lower' targeted price group devices but because it's the brands 'most important' device of the year. It's their best all round device and the one they market the most.

I think it's fantastic that we can get so many powerful devices at much lower prices than the 'flagship' ones. Definitely shows maturity in the smartphone market.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    01-09-17 01:49 PM
    Even though I'm only reading the article now, it's still a very nice read. I still feel the 'Flagship' device for OEMs will live on. Not in the sense that they will be way more powerful than the 'lower' targeted price group devices but because it's the brands 'most important' device of the year. It's their best all round device and the one they market the most.

I think it's fantastic that we can get so many powerful devices at much lower prices than the 'flagship' ones. Definitely shows maturity in the smartphone market.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    Here in the US I think the "Flagships" are still alive and well. Just saw an article a week or so ago on the Christmas season and Apple and Samsungs Galaxy phones dominated sales.... One reason is those are still the "CHEESE" phones that Carrier's offer to attract new users, or to keep existing users on contract. Thus with patiences you'll find times of the year those super expensive phones can be had for FREE.

But it's clear based on the average selling prices around the world... that sub $200 phones are where the numbers are at - just not the profits.
    01-09-17 02:04 PM
    I think HTML5 apps should be required, packaged and downloadable in an open app store by developers to help level the playing field. Then an OS can choose to implement these apps in their own environment so it looks and feels like an app not a webpage. This will allow OEMs not to rely on Android so much and give them freedom to creation their own device OS. It will also allow companies with a great OS and hardware to not rely on if facebook or whatsapp feels like supporting them or not. Android may have captured 85% of the market but no one is making money and there isn't any creativity left. We rely on either Google or Apple right now for any real innovation which is a weak system.
    01-16-17 09:01 AM
    I think HTML5 apps should be required, packaged and downloadable in an open app store by developers to help level the playing field. Then an OS can choose to implement these apps in their own environment so it looks and feels like an app not a webpage. This will allow OEMs not to rely on Android so much and give them freedom to creation their own device OS. It will also allow companies with a great OS and hardware to not rely on if facebook or whatsapp feels like supporting them or not. Android may have captured 85% of the market but no one is making money and there isn't any creativity left. We rely on either Google or Apple right now for any real innovation which is a weak system.
    Are you speaking as a developer? Or a sore looser because your platform of choice has been axed? I think most Developers are happy how things have turned out... agree hardware OEMs (other than Apple and Samsung) not so much.

Google and Apple were smart enough to start building their ecosystems back in 2007/2008. While I wish we were looking at more than just two platforms, it's simply a matter of you can't reward someone (BB10, Sailfish, Firefox, Meego, Windows... and others) for showing up too late to the market. And you can't expect users to accept inferior HTML5 Browser Apps....
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-16-17 09:46 AM
    Required? By who?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-16-17 11:08 AM
    Required? By who?
    By the government of course... need to make it a law.

Heck just require all developers to fully support any Platform that has been registered and a Mobile OS. Could be administered by requiring all developers to have licenses and pay a fee for said licenses. Then we would need an App Police, which could be funded via fines and penalties, and more taxes. Which would require more Legal and Judicial capacity......

Let's just leave it alone!
    01-16-17 11:20 AM
    Are you speaking as a developer? Or a sore looser because your platform of choice has been axed? I think most Developers are happy how things have turned out... agree hardware OEMs (other than Apple and Samsung) not so much.

Google and Apple were smart enough to start building their ecosystems back in 2007/2008. While I wish we were looking at more than just two platforms, it's simply a matter of you can't reward someone (BB10, Sailfish, Firefox, Meego, Windows... and others) for showing up too late to the market. And you can't expect users to accept inferior HTML5 Browser Apps....
    Majority of apps are based off HTML5 and then repackaged for distribution. All your favorite news apps are nothing but preloaded HTML5 skeleton that gets populated with content. Nothing that web browser cannot do.
    01-16-17 12:18 PM
    By the government of course... need to make it a law.

Heck just require all developers to fully support any Platform that has been registered and a Mobile OS. Could be administered by requiring all developers to have licenses and pay a fee for said licenses. Then we would need an App Police, which could be funded via fines and penalties, and more taxes. Which would require more Legal and Judicial capacity......

Let's just leave it alone!
    My point exactly..
    01-16-17 12:18 PM
    Majority of apps are based off HTML5 and then repackaged for distribution. All your favorite news apps are nothing but preloaded HTML5 skeleton that gets populated with content. Nothing that web browser cannot do.
    Are news apps the majority of apps out there? That's like saying the "majority" of BB10 Apps are City Guides....

The real key are the TOP Apps and or Games, as those are what MAKE a platform.
    01-16-17 01:04 PM
    Hmm, i've seen no interest in the iPhone7. Too expensive for the average teenager or student. They are all going with mid range Androids or year old Samsungs.

I think the good news is that BlackBerry has its niche and it's hardware is properly priced. Ironically, they are better positioned to survive than HTC or Sony.

Posted via CB10
    the latest US activation data appearantly are different - apple still ahead of samsung - steady declient, but still ahead - far from "no interest". Holiday Smartphone Activation Data Suggest Apple Needs a Revolutionary iPhone - Market Realist
    01-16-17 01:43 PM
    Majority of apps are based off HTML5 and then repackaged for distribution.
    Source?
    01-16-17 02:10 PM
    Are news apps the majority of apps out there? That's like saying the "majority" of BB10 Apps are City Guides....

The real key are the TOP Apps and or Games, as those are what MAKE a platform.
    Hahahahaa It used to be city guides. There was a one guy making a separate city guide app or similar for each city and flooding the BBW. What a joke. Most of the apps are junk and that's my main problem with App Stores, there is no way to promote a proper fully functional, price worthy app unless you fork the money or wait for the word to spread around. Publishing quality criteria is non existent.
    01-17-17 09:59 AM
    Source?
    Junk apps. Search Google Play Store, any app that does nothing or very little or it's completely useless is most likely HTML5 app. You can tell from the way it behaves. Some simple games are HTML5 apps as well.
    01-17-17 10:01 AM
    in ideal world, i would prefer the unit come with basic apps rather than you have to go playstore to fine them. Aggregated apps would be the best (like Poynt). navigation with map, self drive car or voice control, etc package in one, travel, language dictionary, translation in another, business suite and finance suite (stock monitoring and trade record, news, like the Bloomberg). Current app situation is sad... many are useful only for one thing, it is like you carry many tools for very simple task. = for example, you want to go to trip, you need BB travel, trip advicer, currency convertor, map, starbuck card, expedia, translator.... etc. just too much. (might as well stay home, or go VR).
    01-17-17 11:07 AM
    in ideal world, i would prefer the unit come with basic apps rather than you have to go playstore to fine them. Aggregated apps would be the best (like Poynt). navigation with map, self drive car or voice control, etc package in one, travel, language dictionary, translation in another, business suite and finance suite (stock monitoring and trade record, news, like the Bloomberg). Current app situation is sad... many are useful only for one thing, it is like you carry many tools for very simple task. = for example, you want to go to trip, you need BB travel, trip advicer, currency convertor, map, starbuck card, expedia, translator.... etc. just too much. (might as well stay home, or go VR).
    Many of us old school BlackBerry users loved Poynt... but once we had a taste of fully developed apps, we began to see the limitations that Poynt (they are still around on other platforms) had.

Google Now... does combine a number of all in one features. But you have to face there are limitations as companies like StarBucks and Expedia have a reason they want you to use their app and not just turn over API so someone else can feed you that info.

In a few years we probably won't notice individual apps.... if things go anywhere like some think they will. Your phones simulated AI will just plug into a bot that a company will provide to deliver you the information they want you to have and allow you to interact with their systems. The AI might be the only interaction you have....
    02-15-17 11:26 AM
    Many of us old school BlackBerry users loved Poynt... but once we had a taste of fully developed apps, we began to see the limitations that Poynt (they are still around on other platforms) had.

Google Now... does combine a number of all in one features. But you have to face there are limitations as companies like StarBucks and Expedia have a reason they want you to use their app and not just turn over API so someone else can feed you that info.

In a few years we probably won't notice individual apps.... if things go anywhere like some think they will. Your phones simulated AI will just plug into a bot that a company will provide to deliver you the information they want you to have and allow you to interact with their systems. The AI might be the only interaction you have....
    agree. poynt bbos7 version was the best. playbook and bb10 version are not so good. Can't wait for the AI or aggregated app come along... the app world need consolidation... or standardization... how to force that? possibly a new platform (apple is try to re-write using swift... SDK help a bit on the sloppy program and sort of forced update... not sure if google can do the same. unless they force to lost the backward compatibility, force obsolescence of early bad app...but it is open source, they don't have that much control except playstore - Chinese don't allow playstore anyhow...
    02-16-17 07:47 AM
    agree. poynt bbos7 version was the best. playbook and bb10 version are not so good. Can't wait for the AI or aggregated app come along... the app world need consolidation... or standardization... how to force that? possibly a new platform (apple is try to re-write using swift... SDK help a bit on the sloppy program and sort of forced update... not sure if google can do the same. unless they force to lost the backward compatibility, force obsolescence of early bad app...but it is open source, they don't have that much control except playstore - Chinese don't allow playstore anyhow...
    Standardization is what's needed.... but neither Apple nor Google want that, why would they. They want their platform to have an edge and to be better.....
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-16-17 08:07 AM
    time will tell...(i bet on the apple side... swift sdk is working so far).
    02-16-17 08:58 AM
    time will tell...(i bet on the apple side... swift sdk is working so far).
    I would bet on Apple too... that's where the money is for developers, that's where most developer for 1st.

Google might have the marketshare, but their userbase isn't as valuable and the platform is so fractured by OS versions and hardware types. It's great that Android "can" run on a phone that cost $60... doesn't mean a developer want to deal with the complaints from that person that expect their phone to do everything too.
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-16-17 09:12 AM
46 12