Because they are puppets
    Puppets or not, they spend the money.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 09:51 AM
    Puppets or not, they spend the money.

Posted via CB10
    I kinda lean to "or not" side of the board. Have to say that playing with my wife's iPad and iPhone over the last year... those devices are stable, they are quality devices, and that can do stuff. There are things I would improve.... but there really isn't anything missing. I'm not sure they are for me, but right now I think the iOS platform is probable the best for my wife. (and I haven't completely ruled it out)
    10-07-15 11:58 AM
    I kinda lean to "or not" side of the board. Have to say that playing with my wife's iPad and iPhone over the last year... those devices are stable, they are quality devices, and that can do stuff. There are things I would improve.... but there really isn't anything missing. I'm not sure they are for me, but right now I think the iOS platform is probable the best for my wife. (and I haven't completely ruled it out)
    I have an iPad (it was free) - I can see why people love them - very easy to use and great apps.

iOS would be great for my wife as well as she loves her iPad but we buy all our phones off contract and simply will not pay apple prices - so we go for the next best thing in android land - 2nd hand nexus devices. I am just about to swop back to one.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    10-10-15 02:30 AM
    And what other tablet like device was on the market when the original iPad was release?? You can release a beta device into the market... when there is no market. But you can't release a beta device like the Z10 into a mature market full of more stable and feature rich products.

I agree it's hard to compete with giants... might have been smarter to "compete" with them back when BlackBerry was the giant. WebOS and BB10 both had some early problems with the software, both were paired with less than stellar hardware in the beginning, and both were only parts of the platform puzzle.

It is hard to compete with companies that KNOW what they are doing......

Even Chen talking about closing hardware when he first came on board, then not too long ago saying he wasn't emotional about hardware, and now I'll give it nine months and see... when talking about the PRIV's future. He just doesn't know how to SELL a product... you have to at least put on a "front" that you are 100% behind your products!
    If I have learned one thing in designing products its this:
    GOOD PRODUCT DOESNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
    BAD PRODUCT DOESNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
    HAVING A KNOW HOW TO SELL THOSE PRODUCTS MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE

Sorry for yelling but essentially your post is right. Truth to the matter is having a good products is a solid foundation but what goes on that foundation has nothing to do with the product itself.

iPhone didn't make a difference, Facebook didn't make difference but strategy and more importantly money and people with the pull that stood behind those products made the difference. Apple wants you to believe that smart phones didn't exist before them, they have successfully wiped out the history of all the great PDAs and touchscreen phones with stylus that were the cutting edge technology when they have arrived on the scene. Facebook with its unlimited resources have successfully eliminated the competition that did the exact same thing that inspired and made Facebook to be Facebook. Both knew how to market themselves and make a cult like following.

Back in the day iPhone iOS 1.0 lacked 3G, Picture Messaging and what not. Fast forward today iPhone 6s iOS 9 cant search through whole address book from search screen it lists partial results only. I don't even want to mention lackluster email and lack of option to set third party app as your default email client and yet iPhone is the number one cell phone of choice in light, medium and probably big enterprises around US without a proper email client and calendar integration. There you go! They have successfully convinced people that choice of apps, even if you don't need them, is more important then actually doing your work right. Do you know how you attach multiple files into email? You open up a PDF app and then open up a document and then you tap share and then you tap email. If you want to attach a picture or word document into that exact same email you go repeat the process by opening more apps. So how did this device conquer enterprise? Because Apple told them to its the best device to take pictures of their kids or videos of their intercourse and play games and have apps and share all that online. And then somewhere down the line comes work. And then you have Chen telling himself how enterprise market is different than consumer market. He cant even sell to enterprise btw.

webOS guys at Palm were also more interested into creating the best kick *** mobile OS than trying to actually sell it so they were late to strike an exclusive deal with Verizon before Motorola cause if they were working on that deal at the same time they were building the OS they could have had the deal on time. But they lacked people who know people at Verizon and who can do some pull to actually stand behind the product in the making. And then they were so much in rush they went to Vietnamese manufacturer to slap some hardware together for them cause they were afraid they would be late to the party. Problem was you don't go to the party you throw a party but since they couldn't throw a party (remember missing people to strike the deal with Verizon) they had rush and run.

You want more lessons? Here you go:
    If you make a great product (and I did make some during my time) it doesn't mean sheet if you dont know how to sell it to people who will stand behind and you will just see your idea go to waste and then you gonna wonder how some inferior concept got green lit and its getting traction. Happened to me many times.
    If you are making a prototype or just a presentation of kick *** product for yourself fine give all your best so you get that satisfaction but if you are doing it for someone else or you have a plan to make it commercially available don't even start unless you have the first link (production pipeline) and the last link (those who believe in it with their time and money). Getting the first link is quite accessible if you have open mind and bank account with few zeros behind that 9 figure. Getting the last link is something money cant buy straight out, it requires social skills, great network of people, blah blah blah. As you can tell even Chen doesn't have other big people to stand by him so that gives you an idea how hard it is.
    abwan11 likes this.
    10-11-15 03:36 PM
    Great read. Thank you.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-11-15 03:55 PM
    WebOS was not a kick*** OS. It was basically chrome OS for a phone. Palm hardware was always lousy. Their original Palm OS was extremely primitive compared with iOS 1.0. Windows Mobile wasn't much better.

Most people I know that have a work BB (probably running BB OS) think it is junk.

This idea that Palm, BB and Microsoft have great products that fail due to lousy marketing is a fantasy. That said, I had one coworker with a Z10 who just switched to iPhone after he heard the Priv announcement.
    Eumaeus and techvisor like this.
    10-15-15 06:38 AM
    Basically, a chain is as strong as it's weakest link.

Product x Ecosystem x Marketing

Get all three right, and you'll reap 90% of the gross profit in the smartphone industry.

Get two right, maybe you'll be profitable, maybe not.

Get only one right? To the dustbin with you.

That's just how it works.
    10-15-15 10:18 AM
    There just wasn't enough to differentiate it. To me the Z10, good as it was, didn't scream "this is different". Perhaps the Q1 0 was a better launch choice.

Ultimately though, it is a case of just being too late to market. The Passport is the first device that made me think "I want that". That needed to happen 2 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:09 AM
    Why did BB10 fail in every other country in the world?

Posted via CB10
    And they are really easy to obtain in the US. Amazon and carriers have sold them more or less from the outset. BB10 came out years too late.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    12-30-15 01:56 PM
    One thing made me skip Z10 and bb10 during its first introduction
    1. Hardware design (clearly z10 looks like other android phones and not attractive at all)
    2. Battery life. Seriously how many complaints did BlackBerry need from os7 users to make BlackBerry think about battery life for the next devices after os7?
    3. Whoever passed the main app icon design of bb10 (the one with black box for each app icon) made it look unappealing and easily obliterated by iOS and android icons look.

They forgot consumers first impressions has a large contribution to a success of a product. Once unappealing people tend to skip and forget..

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 12:44 AM
    Five reasons:

1. Apps
    2. Apps
    3. Apps
    4. Apps
    5. Apps

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, now that all problems (1 to 5) have been solved with the Priv, BlackBerry should be back in BlackBerry or what ....?

;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    01-17-16 04:19 PM
    It was hard to compete with the iPhone hype train regardless of BB having a better and more practical OS. Peopled moved in masses with Apple who (to be fair) was the pioneer on taking cell phones to the next level. As much as I hate saying it, they really simplified and beautified the phone experience. After that, just a selected few were interested in porting apps to BB. I still find BB10 to be the best OS out there period. I hope that BB10 just becomes dormant or progresses behind curtains until there is a break in this saturated market which shouldn't be too far considering iPhone nor Android have recently shown zero signs of innovation.

01-19-16 04:57 PM
    It was hard to compete with the iPhone hype train regardless of BB having a better and more practical OS. Peopled moved in masses with Apple who (to be fair) was the pioneer on taking cell phones to the next level. As much as I hate saying it, they really simplified and beautified the phone experience. After that, just a selected few were interested in porting apps to BB. I still find BB10 to be the best OS out there period. I hope that BB10 just becomes dormant or progresses behind curtains until there is a break in this saturated market which shouldn't be too far considering iPhone nor Android have recently shown zero signs of innovation.

What BB10 needs is 3rd party support.... don't see going "dormant or progresses behind the curtains" as a way to gain that kind of support.

Some still believe that HTML5 and a total lack of platform specific apps would allow BB10 to rise above the other platforms. But I don't think they understand that neither Apple nor Google are stupid.... they will keep developers "locked" into building or at least porting apps to their specific platforms. And I think developers will continue to ignore any platform that doesn't have marketshare outside of the margin for errors.

BB10 will go down in some history book, as the Edsel of the smartphone age.
    01-20-16 02:49 PM
    What BB10 needs is 3rd party support.... don't see going "dormant or progresses behind the curtains" as a way to gain that kind of support.

Some still believe that HTML5 and a total lack of platform specific apps would allow BB10 to rise above the other platforms. But I don't think they understand that neither Apple nor Google are stupid.... they will keep developers "locked" into building or at least porting apps to their specific platforms. And I think developers will continue to ignore any platform that doesn't have marketshare outside of the margin for errors.

Who keeps locking who up? an application is not ported unless its developed on one initial platform. Most likely Apple that is. Android is cheap. Very cheap indeed so cheap it does not sell. Its free. Hardware sells. Most of the hardware out there is chinese with a platform that offers no variation whatsoever of this cheap fork of Linux, not even the real deal. So, what do you get? a bunch of Android phones leaving a very narrow array of options for the customer. Customers salivate with the speed, the new hardware specs, whoopie!! a faster device that cant deliver on the most simple basic form of practicality. Been on that side of the customer. Bought the latest, fastest hardware spec device. An octacore. It was fast..but boy was it junk. UI all over the place. All eyecandy but not a great design behind it. Back to the shelves in less than an hour.
    01-21-16 10:59 PM

As a mobile dev myself I can tell you:

1. Both Google and Apple support HTML5 apps on their OSs and don't actually force devs to write app in any of the supported languages. The problem is that devs want their apps to have the latest features of the OS and writing for the lowest common supported subset of features is not gonna accomplish that.

2. Devs don't really want or need more that 2-3 OSs to be popular, but they really care what those OSs are. It just happened to be Android and iOS (with Windows phone a distant 3rd) on mobile and Windows and MacOSx (with various linux distributions) on desktop. Having 10 viable OSs would lead to so much app and feature fragmentation it would be a nightmare for developers.
    01-22-16 05:55 AM
    They missed the biggest one. It was LATE. At leat 2 years late.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    2 years late, despite being 5-7 years ahead of the competition.

Rocking a Z30
    01-22-16 08:43 AM
    Again. Phone and OS were 1-2 years late. You are right though, a higher spec phone or even the Z30 should have been the first handset.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    The original Z30 was a Quad-Core, but at the time the BB10 version available did not support Quad-Core CPU's. So BlackBerry made the wrong decision and released it with a Dual-Core.
    Making BB10 support Quad-Core chips should have been the highest priority.

Anyhow, different time, lost past. But "Never" Too late.

Rocking a Z30
    01-22-16 08:54 AM
    The original Z30 was a Quad-Core, but at the time the BB10 version available did not support Quad-Core CPU's. So BlackBerry made the wrong decision and released it with a Dual-Core.
    Making BB10 support Quad-Core chips should have been the highest priority.

Anyhow, different time, lost past. But "Never" Too late.

Rocking a Z30
    I think 2010 was too late to start considering an answer to iOS and Android.... but that's just me.

Maybe if they had done a number of things differently things would have turned better for them when they launched BB10. But based on the reception that BB10 got, and the problems Microsoft has had, even with all the money they have thrown at key developers..... it is too late now. I think the market is pretty saturated at this point, most "new" users are going to be either developing markets where $100 smartphones are the norm (and BlackBerry can't compete) or they will be new user growing up in a household that will probably chose where they start. There is no room for a fledgling OS that don't have 100% of what general consumers want. I'm starting to think that Windows has no real hope, and it's clear that BlackBerry isn't really even trying anymore... it's Android or bust for them (in the hardware business).
    techvisor likes this.
    01-22-16 10:44 AM
    Honestly, I think it's not that much about being late with touch keyboard and glamorous stuff, but that their hardware was just seriously lagging behind. It was slow, the interface (UX) was bad and apps simply didn't work. I remember a time when Whatsapp would literally overheat and kill my bb battery within 2 hours. and most of other apps were constantly crashing. And I'm not talking about irrelevant apps like gaming.
    01-23-16 08:12 AM
    Maybe, we have to see BB10 in other ways. Maybe, this OS isn't made for consumers, maybe this OS was a enterprise's plan.

Maybe BB10, it wouldn't get the fame, the success and BlackBerry knew that. We have to see every probability to profit.

Maybe this OS wasn't designed for apps (like gaming or sharing, like Instagram) , designed for the general consumer. I'm thinking about this OS, and the first thing comes my mind is this was an OS made for the enterprises and the government and a little for the loyal consumers.

Maybe, the Priv was made with android to make a consumer phone, and the BB10 ecosystem for the enterprises and government

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 04:52 PM
    1) Hopeless management

2) Hopeless management

3) Hopeless management

4)Hopeless management

5) Chen
    01-23-16 07:32 PM
    Maybe, we have to see BB10 in other ways. Maybe, this OS isn't made for consumers, maybe this OS was a enterprise's plan.

Maybe BB10, it wouldn't get the fame, the success and BlackBerry knew that. We have to see every probability to profit.

Maybe this OS wasn't designed for apps (like gaming or sharing, like Instagram) , designed for the general consumer. I'm thinking about this OS, and the first thing comes my mind is this was an OS made for the enterprises and the government and a little for the loyal consumers.

Maybe, the Priv was made with android to make a consumer phone, and the BB10 ecosystem for the enterprises and government

Posted via CB10
    Governments and companies aren't buying enough BB10 either.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-16 08:48 PM
    The hardware is enough to run the OS, for the government and enterprises don't need great specifications. A dual core CPU, and 2GB of RAM is enough and while upgrading the OS, I never see the requirements go up and leave the Z10 and Q10 phones out of updates. Either the Z3 and Q5. This is a good point, Android leaves the low end and middle end devices without updates after 1 or 2 years.

Changing to a Z30 or Leap...
    Last edited by Brian Beltre; 01-24-16 at 12:37 PM.
    01-24-16 08:46 AM
    The hardware is enough to run the OS, for the government and enterprises don't need great specifications. A dual core CPU, and 2GB of RAM is enough and while upgrading the OS, I never see the requirements go up and leave the Z10 and Q10 phones out of updates. Either the Z3 and Q5. This is a good point, Android leaves the low end and middle end devices without updates after 1 or 2 years.

Changing to a Z30 or Leap...
    Getting by with providing... just enough, isn't really the key to winning your customers heart.

Most Passport owners will tell you that better hardware does make a difference. And there really is no indication that Enterprise or Government has any problems paying for Flagship devices.... most the people I know that aren't now BYOD, they have been issued current iPhones or Galaxy devices.

And sadly if you are buying a new Z30 (if you can find one) or a LEAP.... I think you might be disappointed if you expect updates in two years.
    asherN likes this.
    01-26-16 03:06 PM
    I can think of 5 things.

1. Jim
    2. Mike
    3. Thorsten
    4. Apps
    5. Carrier Support

Posted via CB10
    01-31-16 04:14 PM
76 1234