Whatever. I have snap on my Z30 and I had to sideload it and yes it took that many steps! I never bothered with Amazon per reports here very few apps work or maybe I would know it doesn't need to be sideloaded. And I could care less if you or anyone else find me credible.
    Not heard the same reports your are referring to. I have had excellent luck with Amazon apps working (just the opposite actually, apps that did not work from snap worked from AAS). It really is easy to install the app store app (you do it from the phone). Just use the browser to search "amazon app store" and a giant button appears for you to download the app and open an account from there.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/and...UvbUpU10257374

You can also make in app purchase if you have an amazon account. Would like for BlackBerry to strike a deal with Amazon to have this preloaded on the device. Only catch with AAS is selection, it's not as good as Google play. .... but the major ones are there.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    04-18-14 09:56 AM
    I don't see how someone can claim to be a BlackBerry fan, then claim it's worthwhile for BlackBerry to switch to Android OS AND ALSO say that Google should steal features from BB10.

I'm pretty sure there's these things called "patents" that kinda make that not ok.

Because the article is based on false premises, it gets five steaming piles of dog poo out of ten.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 10:00 AM
    Not heard the same reports your are referring to. I have had excellent luck with Amazon apps working (just the opposite actually, apps that did not work from snap worked from AAS). It really is easy to install the app store app (you do it from the phone). Just use the browser to search "amazon app store" and a giant button appears for you to download the app and open an account from there.

Link: Install Amazon Appstore

You can also make in app purchase if you have an amazon account. Would like for BlackBerry to strike a deal with Amazon to have this preloaded on the device. Only catch with AAS is selection, it's not as good as Google play. .... but the major ones are there.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Yes neither is difficult to do unless you're like most people I know who are afraid to do something that is a work around or isn't just a click. The only point I was making in the initial reply was it isn't as easy as they were saying but it isn't that difficult to do either.
    04-18-14 10:02 AM
    as another android user i can agree with most of that, ive said time and time again that the two features i really want from bb10 are the hub and the timeshift option, i think some samsungs already have the timeshift thing but i have stock google so im missing out there.

personally i prefer swiping on swiftkey to the bb10 keyboard but itd be nice to have the option for those that wanted it as it is a great design
    04-18-14 10:06 AM
    Article was OK. As a Galaxy S5 user, here are my thoughts on his list:

1) Hub - I found that when I had a universal inbox (on BBOS and BB10), it got too cluttered (somewhat mitigated by pinch to filter). I like Android's notification pull down menu since I can quickly get a relevant overview of relevant notifications (e.g., emails with sender and subject lines, text message content, etc.) and then go into their separate areas depending on what needs a further look.

2) Keyboard - I agree that the BB10 keyboard is one of the best on-screen keyboards around. I use Swiftkey on my S5 which comes close but I'd give a slight edge to BB10 since that KB feels a little more responsive.

3) Universal search - This has been implemented in the S5's "S-Finder" feature and works pretty well.

4) Blackberry balance - The work/home distinction doesn't really matter to me since I'm on call at home anyway. Even if it did, I don't think its hard to set a separate homepage or folder devoted to work apps/calendar widgets etc.

5) Time Shift - This feature has been incorporated already into Android phones.
    ..........they work better on BB...the writer saw that...maybe you will maybe you wont....pity that
    04-18-14 11:35 AM
    I don't see how someone can claim to be a BlackBerry fan, then claim it's worthwhile for BlackBerry to switch to Android OS AND ALSO say that Google should steal features from BB10.

I'm pretty sure there's these things called "patents" that kinda make that not ok.

Because the article is based on false premises, it gets five steaming piles of dog poo out of ten.

Posted via CB10
    he is just acknowledging that these are great things about BB 10 that Android dont have or isnt as seamless and integrated.....say well done and move on man
    04-18-14 11:38 AM
    he is just acknowledging that these are great things about BB 10 that Android dont have or isnt as seamless and integrated.....say well done and move on man
    No, I'm actually pretty sure he says Google should steal those features. I know this because THAT'S THE NAME OF THE ARTICLE. At best it's a bunch of backhanded compliments, but it's a ****ty piece of writing either way.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 11:44 AM
    cool article. And I'm glad the writer admitted he predominantly uses android b/c (in his opinion) BB10 is not good enough. in other words...he wants BlackBerry to be where it's at
    04-18-14 11:53 AM
    Yes neither is difficult to do unless you're like most people I know who are afraid to do something that is a work around or isn't just a click. The only point I was making in the initial reply was it isn't as easy as they were saying but it isn't that difficult to do either.
    I know people that struggle with BlackBerry App World! Like Ron white always says, and for some people it's clear....you can't fix stupid

I think even for the average person thou, understanding the Amazon app store is fairly simple. I make no such comment regarding Snap, fully understanding the additional steps to sort that out. With that said any tech writer worth his weight should point out things like the Amazon app store....although many of these so called experts don't

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-18-14 12:17 PM
    Using my mother as a case study, she will never, ever, ever do this. It's too much effort. It's too technical if you are't a technical person. And she worries about security. As far as she's concerned, apps come from BlackBerry World. And there are apps that aren't in there that she wants, like Netflix.

Well that makes it very simple: non-technically-astute people who are concerned about security should not be installing non-BBW Android apps on BB10 anyway. In 100% seriousness, your mother is probably better off with an iPhone for that reason. Especially if she wants apps that don't exist on BB10. If she's worried about security, then clearly she shouldn't be using an Android device either. Why using "Android on BB10" would magically "fix" that issue is a mystery to me. Android is not suited for non-technical/security-concerned users.

If Blackberry was confident that this was something that was ready for mainstream usage, then I would expect them to publicly tout this feature in official documentation and marketing materials.

But they do not. And for various good reasons, including:

1. Given the technical limitations of the runtime at the present time (and likely future), many apps will not run well or not run at all, including many very popular "headline" apps that people are sure to try. If they try to push this feature to mainstream users right now, all it would do is become a huge debacle for them, with tons and tons of unhappy people and bad press. It's amazing how few people on Crackberry seem to get this.
    2. Because of the increased difficulty of installing Android apps like this, along with various potential glitches that might occur, one would reasonably assume that only people with reasonably decent technical expertise - and tolerance for failure - should even be attempting this.
    3. The likelihood of getting "full" Android functionality on BB10 is slim to none because the requirements Google has set for this are not likely to ever be practicable for BlackBerry for technical, contractual, strategic and financial reasons. Thus this functionality is pretty much limited to be a "niche" function for the foreseeable future.
    4. Not using BlackBerry World to release an Android app for BB10 means that A) there can be no specific functionality, security or performance testing done by BlackBerry for such apps running on the platform (including no guarantee that an application's data is stored in an expected location, ie for the purpose of security, backups and restores), B) there is no documented/verified means of contacting the developer if problems arise, C) there is no BlackBerry-specific review mechanism so users cannot ascertain the BlackBerry community's opinion of the quality of an app and how it runs on the platform before installing it, all of which meaning that BlackBerry runs a substantial RISK when people install random non-BBW Android apps of undermining the perceived quality of the platform.
    5. There is already TONS of evidence that MANY complaints about BB10 in recent months in fact arise because people have sideloaded or direct-installed non-BBW Android apps that undermine the performance of the platform, either due to battery life problems, CPU hogging problems, application conflict problems, loss of data after OS upgrade, etc etc.
    04-18-14 05:47 PM
    Using my mother as a case study, she will never, ever, ever do this. It's too much effort. It's too technical if you are't a technical person. And she worries about security. As far as she's concerned, apps come from BlackBerry World. And there are apps that aren't in there that she wants, like Netflix.

Old coworkers with the Z10 had the same comment
    So tell her to install the Amazon.com app and get it there.

Just goto amazon's website on the phone and download the app. Teach her something new. My gf was amazed that the phone could even do that.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 06:24 PM
    And the No.6 thing that Android should steal from BlackBerry is that it would be easier/better just to buy a BlackBerry than to try and fix Android.
    04-18-14 10:36 PM
    The Hub to me ( and the bottom left end position) are the two key UX items in Bb10 that make all the difference. I completely disagree with the menu on android being in the top right where my thumb can't reach it. This is one of the many key items of android that make it undesirable for me. That is why I can't stand Android mail.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 10:39 AM
    I stopped reading here, tbh:

"but I am an Android user predominantly because BlackBerry 10 just isn?t good enough."

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 03:55 PM
39 12