Tizen = Bada which is why they are launching in Russia in Q3 not some mature market. US carriers will be hesitant to carry Tizen phones no matter Samsung muscle.
    Tizen is definitely not Bada.

It's based on Linux and was originally named Limo (Linux Mobile) but was renamed when Intel joined.

A Bada phone cannot run Tizen apps nor be upgraded to Tizen.

Samsung "merged" Bada into Tizen whatever that means. Bada apps are written in C++

Samsungs Tizen device can run some Android apps as well as Bada apps.

This sounds like Samsung Tizen devices supports Android, Native and HTML5.

IMHO Samsung and others are trying create an alternative to Android for a lot of device types - not only mobiles: TV, automobile and wearable. And they have a huge load of money to succeed.

I'm not an expert so pls. correct me if you have other information.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-09-14 11:07 AM
    Tizen is definitely not Bada.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't mean they were technically equivalent just that Bada was an alternate OS Samsung has been trying to get off the ground for years never having much success and Tizen will be the same.

There are some similarity to the problems BB has keeping BBOS and trying to raise the fortunes of BB10. For Samsung its even worse; at least RIM could say BB10 is an improvement in many ways, all Samsung can say is its different.
    06-09-14 11:22 AM
    Samsungs Tizen device can run some Android apps as well as Bada apps.
    No, it can't run Android apps, but some Android "apps" are really just launchers for an HTML5 web app - in other words, it's a URL with a simple "wrapper" to make it install like an app. Those "apps" can be easily ported over to Tizen (or to BB or Kindle or anything else that runs HTML5) because it's just using a different wrapper, but the same web code.

But the vast majority of such apps are just "informational"-type apps, and you'll find that all of the big, brand-name apps, and anything that needs access to most sensors or hardware, are native Android apps, which Tizen can't run.

We've been through all of this several times already, starting with the iPhone. Steve Jobs originally said "no" to developers writing native iPhone apps - he believed that everyone would (and should) embrace HTML5 apps and do everything in the browser. It didn't take long before that decision was reversed, because HTML5 has so many limitations, especially with things like notifications and access to phone hardware. The App Store was born!

BB10 and WinPhone both advocated HTML5 as the "app alternative" when they launched, and again, neither customers or developers bought it, because, again, those limitations. Tizen isn't going to fare any better, and neither will any other phone that wants to rely on HTML5 instead of an app ecosystem.
    06-09-14 07:25 PM
    Well there is one thing that Sammy has more than BlackBerry, money. They can literally throw money at devs to bring their apps to Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    They haven't done this with Bada. There just weren't apps for it!
    06-10-14 01:51 AM
    They haven't done this with Bada. There just weren't apps for it!
    I was invited to the bada launch. It was clear from day 1 it was an OS designed to replace samsung's dumbphone os on dumbphones. Was stated several times by the speaker who was one of the top guys at samsung mobile.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-10-14 09:01 AM
    No, it can't run Android apps, but some Android "apps" are really just launchers for an HTML5 web app - in other words, it's a URL with a simple "wrapper" to make it install like an app. Those "apps" can be easily ported over to Tizen (or to BB or Kindle or anything else that runs HTML5) because it's just using a different wrapper, but the same web code.

But the vast majority of such apps are just "informational"-type apps, and you'll find that all of the big, brand-name apps, and anything that needs access to most sensors or hardware, are native Android apps, which Tizen can't run.

We've been through all of this several times already, starting with the iPhone. Steve Jobs originally said "no" to developers writing native iPhone apps - he believed that everyone would (and should) embrace HTML5 apps and do everything in the browser. It didn't take long before that decision was reversed, because HTML5 has so many limitations, especially with things like notifications and access to phone hardware. The App Store was born!

BB10 and WinPhone both advocated HTML5 as the "app alternative" when they launched, and again, neither customers or developers bought it, because, again, those limitations. Tizen isn't going to fare any better, and neither will any other phone that wants to rely on HTML5 instead of an app ecosystem.
    Is there an example of such an app? I'd like to try it.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 02:34 PM
    Why do I see a resemblance to the icons I've seen in the BlackBerry 10.3 screenshots?

Prolly just me in fan boy mode.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 02:52 PM
    Is there an example of such an app? I'd like to try it.
    This list is old and I see a few apps on it that no longer exist, but I'm sure some are still there:

30 Incredibly Useful & Fun HTML5 Mobile Apps

And here's an article about what I was talking about:

Here's why HTML-based apps don't work | ZDNet
    06-11-14 10:07 PM
    Bada was targeted at the lower end so it was less of an issue to not have apps on it. Bada was basically Samsung's Curve devices, until Android got to the point that it was better usable on lower specs.

Tizen is an OS with potential flagship potential. Bada was never intended to be this good.

Also the statements that Tizen only supports HTML5 apps are false. It has a full native SDK with complete tooling, including a UI builder/designer. It's native APIs are similar to those of Bada, and entire apps can be developed in C++, it just obviously isn't as easy as HTML5, for obvious reasons (for starters C++ is 100x harder to learn and code properly in, than JavaScript).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    jpvj likes this.
    06-12-14 03:48 PM
    Thx :-)
    06-12-14 04:51 PM
35 12