We are traveling to Argentina.
    I bought an Argentinian sim card on ebay.
    Verizon unlocked my BB Bold 9650 (because I happily switched to an iPhone 6 months ago and BB has been sitting in closet).
    I checked Advanced options and it does say "Security disabled"
    I changed to GSM/UMTS, 2G

My question is that I can't see any evidence that the phone knows this sim card is in there.

When I try to call the Argentinian phone number, my BB does not ring, and it says it is going to a voicemail.

I am so stupid about all of this and have never used a sim before but really need to have an operating phone while in Argentina.

Many many thanks for any assistance in getting this to work.
    11-11-11 08:58 AM
    Put sim card in, check its in the right way.
    GO Options > Networks and Connects > Mobile Network. Make sure network selection is automatic, and set network mode to 3G and 2G. Then do a battery pull and tell me if that has helped at all.
    11-11-11 09:00 AM
    Did you purchase any minutes for the sim card? Also it may not recognize the sim until your're in Argentina and on their network. The only way I know it will work out of the country that it's for is if you set it to Roaming. I always wait until I'm in the country I'm visiting to purchase a Sim card because if they haven't had money added to them for a certain number of days the Sim becomes unusable. And they are dirt cheap. The number of days depends on the Sim provider, but usually after 90 days it becomes inactive and you'll have to purchase a new one. I have Verizon also and they've unlocked all my phones without a problem, and they only end the call once they've verified it's unlocked. Just make sure your network settings are set to what they use in Argentina when you get there and.
    11-11-11 09:26 AM
    I seem to be having a problem getting the GSM/UMTS setting to "stick" - it keeps reverting back to "global."

I got all my info about doing this from a guy on Trip Advisor who bought the Argentinian sim ahead of time and was able to call his Argentinian phone number before he left to check it out.

It was my understanding that there is no charge to call from USA to the Argentina phone so I was waiting to add credit to the phone until I knew for sure it was working.

I had really hoped to figure it out before we leave because hubby is very impatient with this stuff intruding on our vacation time.

Thanks for the speedy replies.
    11-11-11 09:35 AM
    Twice now I have set it to GSM/UMTS
    2G & 3G
    and done the battery pull
    and gone back to see it is back on "Global" not GSM
    11-11-11 09:50 AM
    Sorry tennisannie, I've never tried this before leaving the country so I can't be much help. But your phone is unlocked and that's the most important part. I haven't travelled in Europe yet, but if it's anything like SE Asia then getting a Sim card and minutes will not be an intrusion on your vacation at all.
    11-11-11 10:00 AM
    I seem to be allergic to this stuff. Last year I was supposed to be set up on the Global Plan with Verizon for Europe and spent several hours while in Budapest on the phone with Verizon and hubby was ready to throw BB in the Danube. Never got it figured out and Verizon was stumped.

I am also having a hard time reverting back to my BB after 6 months on iPhone....have to relearn it again.
    11-11-11 10:25 AM
    in advanced options - sim card .. type mepd

what does it say beside network?
    11-11-11 11:04 AM
    There are two lines:
    SIM Card: Security Disabled
    ID: and a very long number

when I try to type mepd
    nothing is happening
    the ID number is highlighted and I just tried typing over that

So, under normal circumstances, when one inserts an international sim card does the phone show some sort of display acknowledging the network.
    My sim is "movistar"

I guess the other thing I will do is load some credit on there.

I am on a mission to get this figured out and will open a champagne bottle and toast y'all if "we" do. Thank you so much!!!!
    11-11-11 11:20 AM
    Your welcome.
    11-11-11 12:54 PM
    There are two lines:
    SIM Card: Security Disabled
    ID: and a very long number

So, under normal circumstances, when one inserts an international sim card does the phone show some sort of display acknowledging the network.

My sim is "movistar"

Under normal circumstances, the international sim will show the network it's connected to. The sim I had connected to AT&T's network. It showed it above the time and in the network settings. Your phone is unlocked so I wouldn't stress over it.
    11-11-11 09:01 PM
    Also change the old phone number on the CDMA screen (dial ##000000).
    11-12-11 08:04 AM
    blazeon420: What device did you use with the SIM card in SE Asia. I have a 9650 and am going back in a few months (Singapore and Indonesia) and plan on using it if I can someone who has had experiences with it.
    10-08-14 02:37 PM
    Twice now I have set it to GSM/UMTS
    2G & 3G
    and done the battery pull
    and gone back to see it is back on "Global" not GSM
    Incompatible band?
    Not all carriers are supported security is only one off 4 items that must me disabled
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-08-14 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD