Hi folks. First post here (sorry if it's in the wrong thread).

I'm a 26 year old married law student in the market for my first BlackBerry. My wife has a Storm, but I'm more interested in a physical keyboard. What I'm most interested are the practical differences for a young professional between the Tour and the Curve. I'm aware of the obvious differences, e.g., WiFi with Curve, better camera on the Tour, higher screen resolution, global roaming capabilities, etc.

But as far as day-to-day usage (checking/responding to emails, managing contacts, etc.) what are some of the differences I should consider when making my purchase?

Thanks in advance.
    12-28-09 01:32 PM
    I think the tour is a better over all device the curve is entry level but you may want to wait until the tour 2 is launched aka the essex it has a trackpad and wi-fi and will have the rest the same as the current tour..... thats the one I would go for
    12-28-09 02:02 PM
    Just FYI and something to think about... the new Curve has a lesser hardware spec then the current Tour does, but the new Curve is OpenGL capable, whereas the Tour is not. I would wait until the next Tour comes out or look at another better BB on the lot. Unfortunately, the only other BB that VZW carries that supports the newer OpenGL standard and has the horsepower is the Storm2.
    12-28-09 02:12 PM
    If you can wait, get the Tour2, if not, get the Tour.
    12-28-09 02:15 PM
    Both Curve and Tour do pretty much the same as far as email, web, and messaging capabilities so the difference IS the camera, screen resolution, physical size and keyboard differences.

That being said, Tour is a much better device hands down. However, the Tour2 is suppose to be released in about 2-3 months so you might want to wait unless you don't mind having a trackball and having no Wi-Fi.
    12-28-09 02:18 PM
    The storm 2 is a nice phone. I came from a 8900 and thought I might not like the touch screen. I text better/faster on the storm 2 than I did on my 8320 or 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 02:19 PM
    I appreciate the feedback. However, while broad statements like "the Tour is better" might help me sleep more comfortably at night, what I'm asking for is a bit more specific and practical in its nature.

What can I DO with the Tour that I couldn't do with the Curve, from the perspective of a young professional who wants to use his phone to be more productive in managing my calendar, keeping up with clients/contacts, responding to emails, managing/editing documents, etc.

I get that the Tour is a "better phone." But the things that make the Tour better won't really impact someone who only uses their Tour to make phone calls. On the other end of the spectrum, someone who uses the Tour to the limits of its capabilities will clearly be impacted by those increased capabilities.

What I'm asking is quite simple: What are those things that I can do with the Tour, which I'll concede is the better phone, that I wouldn't be able to do with the Curve, apart from being able to brag that I have the better phone?
    12-28-09 05:15 PM
    I appreciate the feedback. However, while broad statements like "the Tour is better" might help me sleep more comfortably at night, what I'm asking for is a bit more specific and practical in its nature.

What can I DO with the Tour that I couldn't do with the Curve, from the perspective of a young professional who wants to use his phone to be more productive in managing my calendar, keeping up with clients/contacts, responding to emails, managing/editing documents, etc.

I get that the Tour is a "better phone." But the things that make the Tour better won't really impact someone who only uses their Tour to make phone calls. On the other end of the spectrum, someone who uses the Tour to the limits of its capabilities will clearly be impacted by those increased capabilities.

What I'm asking is quite simple: What are those things that I can do with the Tour, which I'll concede is the better phone, that I wouldn't be able to do with the Curve, apart from being able to brag that I have the better phone?
    The 8530 will do all the functions that a Tour will do but the Tour will do it just a little bit faster, display a little more information, etc etc. If you really don't care about the higher resolution screen, slightly faster processor and better camera, the new Curve will suit you quite well.
    12-28-09 05:45 PM
    The 8530 will do all the functions that a Tour will do but the Tour will do it just a little bit faster, display a little more information, etc etc. If you really don't care about the higher resolution screen, slightly faster processor and better camera, the new Curve will suit you quite well.
    Here, here

Get the Tour. He said everything he needed to say why.

Go into a store and play with the keyboards .. that's why I have a Tour and not a Curve ..
    12-28-09 06:40 PM
    Not to mention Tour/Tour2 has faster 3G speeds. Rev.0 (Curve) and Rev.A (Tour/Tour2).
    12-28-09 06:51 PM

Thank you. This was helpful.
    12-28-09 07:41 PM
    Tour, if you have to get one now, otherwise wait for the Tour 2. Our company uses many different models of BB's and I am the only one with a Tour. Everyone is always impressed with its capabilities compared to theirs.

FA
    12-28-09 08:40 PM
    I love my Tour and would recommend it any day.
    12-28-09 08:46 PM
    Thank you. This was helpful.
    glad I could help. Let us know how things turn out.
    12-28-09 08:51 PM
    The Tour also comes with a 2gig memory card. I love my Tour. You just have to go to the store and play with them. Originally I was going to get the Curve, but once I got to the store and started playing with them, Tour hands down. My brother in Missouri just ported over from AT&T He took my advice and chose the Tour too
    He loves it as well.
    12-28-09 09:06 PM
    I think everyone has given you pretty good reasons so I'm just going to add, I would go with the Tour.
    12-28-09 09:41 PM
    I would choose the Tour over the new Curve based solely on build quality. The 8530 looks like Fisher Price constructed it. It feels very cheap in hand, and to me, looks unprofessional. It is entry level, although the trackpad and wifi do bump it up a little.

They will essentially do the same thing, email, text, calls, etc., as will all BB's. They just do it a little differently, be it touch screen, wifi, etc.

My wife looked at the 8530 at the VZ store, and laughed. She likes smaller phones, but she told me there was no way she would use that toy. She said that she would rather keep her 8330 than "upgrade" or should I say lateral upgrade, to the 8530.

I vote the Tour, or if you can wait, the Tour2.
    12-28-09 09:43 PM
    get the Tour and if you can wait the Tour2 would be out.
    12-28-09 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD