What do u guys think of the new BB10 Alpha? I hate touch screen, I sure will miss my buttons. I think they are on the right track thou, Make an all touch because these days that's whats selling the most. Get everyone wanting to play with the new device. BUT don't leave us keyboard lovers out the 2nd BB10 will have a keyboard I HOPE
    04-28-12 12:17 AM
    What do u guys think of the new BB10 Alpha? I hate touch screen, I sure will miss my buttons. I think they are on the right track thou, Make an all touch because these days that's whats selling the most. Get everyone wanting to play with the new device. BUT don't leave us keyboard lovers out the 2nd BB10 will have a keyboard I HOPE
    Many people think like you. I for me hate typing on touch screens (I'm a mess on my PB) but the convenience of having a bigger screen when surfing the web, facebook, twitter... is just what the general and vast majority of the consumers like and prefer.

I really don't know if I could resist the temptation of not buying the first BB10 phone RIM releases just to (keep) wait(ing) for a hybrid like the 9810 or a classic like the 9900.

I had the 9800. Pretty solid phone. Slow and laggy but I loved it. Barely used the touch screen keyboard.
    I now have the 9900. Fast, smooth and reliable. Thin and comfortable to hold. Classy and elegant. And I cannot think of not having my keyboard anytime soon.
    04-28-12 09:25 AM
    I like the concept of a mini playbook phone

Interchangeable depending on the situation
    04-28-12 10:57 AM
    I was in a phone shop today and picked up a Samsung Galaxy Note. I love the idea but the actuality of holding the device was awful. It is neither a phone nor a tablet. Horrible.

By the same token the Galaxy S2 should be better, but I found it too large as well. I can't help myself - a phone needs to be of modest size. The iPhone is good. BBs are even better and need to stay 'phone size' IMO.
    Last edited by whitbags; 04-28-12 at 12:45 PM.
    04-28-12 12:22 PM
    I like the BB10 Alpha device. A "mini playbook" as it was called. I'd get that device. Too bad it will never see retail. But it gives hope on the actual devices to be released.
    04-28-12 12:35 PM
    I hope the final device is not a mini playbook in terms of software and hardware...
    04-28-12 12:41 PM
    I think that is the plan. A mini playbook with a radio. Why isn't that good?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 12:44 PM

I think you have it bang on. The iPad is just a large iPhone. It sure makes sense for the bb10 device to be a small PlayBook with a radio. So the PlayBook 4G will be even more like the final bb10 UI.

Will sure make it easier for future development on both bb10 and Playbook, and much more attractive to app devs.

Yes, that is a VERY good thing.
    04-28-12 01:23 PM
    Absolutely spot on.
    04-28-12 01:29 PM
    I can't help myself - a phone needs to be of modest size. The iPhone is good. BBs are even better and need to stay 'phone size' IMO.
    Totally, completely and utterly agree!!
    My preference is the 9790 size, touch or qwerty. I might tolerate up to 4" edge to edge. Anything bigger, I simply go much bigger for a tablet.

I remember the days when people were using BB6000 or 7000 series (or HP). They looked like putting the whole palm on their ear, ridiculous.
    04-28-12 01:37 PM
    I rarely use my phone as a phone. I mostly use a bluetooth with my vehicle and an earpiece when I am not in the car/truck. But the size still needs to be comfortable to hold and use when reading or texting ect. I would love a matching mini PB. with a slider qwerty.

we shall see

04-28-12 01:43 PM
    I'm not a fan of the all-touch models but if that's what it takes to pull RIM up in the ranks I can see why they would release that first. I love my Torch 9810 and the fact that you have the larger touch screen with the slider keyboard tucked away. I previously had a 9800 a month ago (OS6) and it's been a big difference going to the 9810 (OS7). Glad I made the switch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 01:48 PM
    When I say it will be a mini playbook I'm not really commenting on the actual size. I would prefer something between a 9700 and 9900 rather than the Galaxy note size.
    04-28-12 01:51 PM
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Alpha Dev device when I get down to Florida on Monday. Personally, I think the idea behind what they are releasing is good. Just give developers something where they can port their Playbook apps over with the proper screen size so it will look right when the real device hits the market. Doesn't really matter if it is the iPod Touch version of the larger Playbook.

One thing I have a found is that size is relative. When my carrier passed on the 9930, I ended up keeping my Tour and adding a 4" Galaxy S. Compared to my Tour, and especially to my wife's Curve 8330, the SGS is huge. But, the more I used the SGS, the size no longer bothered me. Now the Tour feels small, and viewing things on a 4" screen seems normal. Looking at the 4.3" SGS2, and the 5.3" Galaxy Note, they both seem like they would be awkward to use. But, I think that after using them for a while, going back to a 3" screen would be difficult.

After using a 7" tablet, I actually prefer that screen size. If the Playbook had phone capabilities all on its own, I could easily pass on a BB10 phone. I already talk over a headset and take notes during calls, so it wouldn't be like having a '70s boombox up to my ear. The fewer devices I have to carry, the better.
    greeneriko likes this.
    04-28-12 02:15 PM

Because consumers have flocked to the PB and made it a resounding success, right? Now, all RIM needs to do is port that success to the phones. Oh, boy!
    jbs-horn likes this.
    04-28-12 03:26 PM
    I'm not a fan of the all-touch models but if that's what it takes to pull RIM up in the ranks I can see why they would release that first. I love my Torch 9810 and the fact that you have the larger touch screen with the slider keyboard tucked away. I previously had a 9800 a month ago (OS6) and it's been a big difference going to the 9810 (OS7). Glad I made the switch.

I am with you. Put a slider keyboard on that thing.

04-28-12 03:35 PM
    I'd love the new BB10 device to be like the Current Torch phones with a keyboard slider. I have two chances to upgrade both in October and January and I hope BB10 is released then.
    04-28-12 09:25 PM
    I tend to agree...NO full touch BlackBerry has ever sold well. Both S1+2 and the 9850/9860 have had poor sales. The only touch screen phone that RIM sold reasonably well is one with a keyboard.

Why they think that will change is a bit of a mystery.

IMHO
    04-29-12 07:27 AM
    I tend to agree...NO full touch BlackBerry has ever sold well. Both S1+2 and the 9850/9860 have had poor sales. The only touch screen phone that RIM sold reasonably well is one with a keyboard.

Why they think that will change is a bit of a mystery.

IMHO
    RIM has never made a touch friendly OS before, which made them not sell as well, the Strom series phones actually didn't sell to poorly for a sub brand, and with the horrible reputation they got for a buggy OS,

RIM needs to get a touchscreen device down, as that is what the majority of viewers want from their phones.

What I don't like about this DevAlpha is the loss of the BlackBerry Home row of buttons / trackpad like the 9850/9860 have, This makes me fear the writing is on the wall for that home row to be gone, as if it was to be included on the first BB10 you'd think RIM would want devs to have access to the button for development.

I really dread when I move to a QWERTY BB that requires me to use the touchscreen for navigation, and not just have it as a bonus
    04-29-12 10:47 AM

Because by the time the bb10 devices come out the playbook specs would really be underwhelming in a phone. The processor isn't really top of the line by any means.
    04-29-12 10:55 AM
    Because by the time the bb10 devices come out the playbook specs would really be underwhelming in a phone. The processor isn't really top of the line by any means.
    We're pretty sure that the chip that will be used in the released BB10 devices will be built on a smaller die, and will most likely be clocked above the current PlayBook device, so the specs will be better for the first launched BB10 device

but the PlayBook Specs are a great benchmark spec for a dev Alpha, if the Apps run smoothly on the dev Alpha and the PlayBook then they will only get better with more power under the hood
    04-29-12 11:03 AM
    We're pretty sure that the chip that will be used in the released BB10 devices will be built on a smaller die, and will most likely be clocked above the current PlayBook device, so the specs will be better for the first launched BB10 device

but the PlayBook Specs are a great benchmark spec for a dev Alpha, if the Apps run smoothly on the dev Alpha and the PlayBook then they will only get better with more power under the hood
    It's not even about clocking it higher but by the time they release the devices if they don't put the new s4 or whatever new ti omap processor is out they will already be far behind the curve.
    04-29-12 12:25 PM
    It's not even about clocking it higher but by the time they release the devices if they don't put the new s4 or whatever new ti omap processor is out they will already be far behind the curve.
    Well this I disagree with,
    but in an Android world that very much would be the case.
    04-29-12 12:46 PM
    Specs are not the end all. More important is the experience, how the hardware and software operate together - people want devices that have smooth running OS' with minimal lag, and the ability to run apps without having them stutter, hang, or crash. Specs are important to the extent that it improves upon this experience, but if it doesn't, there's no point of upping your specs for the simple reason of having the absolute latest.
    04-29-12 01:04 PM
    Well this I disagree with,
    but in an Android world that very much would be the case.
    Has nothing to do with android. Plus unless they fix the issues with constant reboots that are needed not to mention the added benefit of improved battery life with the s4 and lte on a chip it would greatly benefit bb.
    04-29-12 02:12 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD