Hi. I do realise there are threads about the charging time of a brand new Blackberry. However, there are always two sides of answer.

I want to know the answer once and for all. So my question is
    How long do we need to charge a brand new BB?

Thanks
    02-25-11 11:04 AM
    Just charge it overnight. That's all you need to do.

There has been loads written on this subject. Some of it by me.

A Li-ion battery has no memory effect and all you need to do from new is to give it a realy good long charge to maximum capacity and off you go.

You can bore yourself silly with this link How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    32atHC likes this.
    02-25-11 11:08 AM
    Just charge it overnight. That's all you need to do.

There has been loads written on this subject. Some of it by me.

A Li-ion battery has no memory effect and all you need to do from new is to give it a realy good long charge to maximum capacity and off you go.

You can bore yourself silly with this link How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    They do however have a 'StateOfHealth' which, I'm not sure but I think that woud reflect how well it will hold it's charge. I think over the years, the StateOfHealth would go down and your battery wouldn't stay full as long. I think I'm probably wrong, but I don't know what 'StateOfHealth' would be under Battery in the eScreen.
    02-25-11 12:42 PM
    They do however have a 'StateOfHealth' which, I'm not sure but I think that woud reflect how well it will hold it's charge. I think over the years, the StateOfHealth would go down and your battery wouldn't stay full as long. I think I'm probably wrong, but I don't know what 'StateOfHealth' would be under Battery in the eScreen.
    STaeOfHealth is a valid measure. Trouble is, I have not yet seen a consumer device that provides measurement of this parameter.

Typically Li-ion batteries will take about 1000 charge/discharge cycles - at least that's what the manufacturers say is realistic. In use, "Your mileage may vary". My variant of this "Your mileage WILL vary".

It's really hard to say what wil happen to a battery in use. There are just too many variables. Some of these relate to batch variations individual batteries.

I'm still of the opinion that with an "Out of the Box" - I did not say new - Li-ion battery, the best thing to do is to stick it on charge overnight with the phone switched off and then just use it.

If it fails after a year or so, then replace it. What else can you do?
    02-25-11 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD