Yea IMHO this device is absolutely pointless. I mean if a GSM user doesn't want 3G, get the 8900. If they want a cheap phone, get the 8520. If they want 3G, get the 9700. This is just astonishing to me, such a waste. Just invest all this money into new research for a much better device in the future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 09:39 PM
    So, the Storm 2 or this one? hmm
    09-29-09 09:51 PM
    Finally the CDMA Curve gets updated. It will make many very very happy!!!!

When Sal's new pics are posted here I'm sure the Atlas will be having its own forum...
    CDMA Curve is already updated with 8530 coming out. This is weird because it is really exactly like tour spec wise,just curve keyboard and trackpad and wifi. Honestly Essex will have that also, they just seem too similar.
    09-29-09 09:57 PM
    nothing special to see here
    09-29-09 10:01 PM
    I'm guessing is going to have the same specs as the 8900?
    09-29-09 10:04 PM
    very cool looking hopefully hear more about it soon
    09-29-09 10:06 PM
    for those that haven't visited Salomondrin's blog, this is a GSM phone, branded with "Bold" on the back.

It would appear that they might be replacing the 8900 with this.

Maybe they will be phasing out the "Curve" line? Who knows anymore with RIM...
    09-29-09 10:06 PM
    Its starting to get confusing with all the new BB's coming out. Give me a Bold size BB on the Verizon network now!
    09-29-09 10:10 PM
    all CDMA blackberrys are 3G.
    No CDMA devices have 3G. They have EVDO.
    09-29-09 10:11 PM
    i'm confused....=/
    09-29-09 10:17 PM
    No CDMA devices have 3G. They have EVDO.
    EVDO is 3G inasmuch as the data does run at speeds called for in the 3G standard. RIM is trying to clear up this confusion in 5.0 software by renaming a EVDO connection by its speed rather than its technology.
    I am really surprised to see yet another non 3G device. This is like making a 1X only device for CDMA. Given that, I was happy with my 8900 when I had it, so much that I would probably buy a 8950 if they were to build one.

09-29-09 10:25 PM
    This just goes to show how shook up RIM is about the Iphone coming to Verizon. Im sure RIM is trying to sure up the market for GSM users so when Verizon does get the Iphone this holiday season, RIM will have more product for people to go to. Which is also why Verizon hasn't picked up on there BB game. They have the big hitter coming very soon and it doesnt make sense to get too many new BB's when they;re expecting a lot of there customers to go to the Iphone. I just hope RIM doesn't get in trouble when the Iphone is unleashed. Could be deadly
    09-29-09 10:42 PM
    I know what you're saying skyboxer, it's pedantic but bugs me to see people have no idea what the difference is. And the thing with 5.0 displaying 3g instead of evdo is a bug I believe.
    Last edited by codito; 09-29-09 at 10:46 PM.
    09-29-09 10:44 PM
    I'm sooooo confused... doesn't seem right to not have any 3G bands even if it is a GSM device, and weve all heard of the Atlas being described as a CDMA handset. If it is just the next 8900, I'd still expect an 8900 update to get 3G. Plus, Bold branding without 3G? I can't imagine that... My guess is that this will be a world phone with CDMA 3G and EDGE speeds on GSM, but as an early build, this one doesn't have CDMA running yet. I'm just guessing here, no real info, so don't take it as more than that. Still, even if that were true, it seems too close to the Essex to be necessary. Sal's posts always seem to confuse me so much I waste forever trying to figure things out, lol.
    09-29-09 11:19 PM
    looks good.
    09-29-09 11:34 PM
    The differences in the keyboard with trackpad look to be a bonus.

I like the Curve-style keyboard, and with the more difficult to service devices, losing the trackball is more of a blessing, as long as they've executed the trackpad reasonably well. No loss there.

Wi-Fi to CDMA? No doubt that is a boon.

Looking forward to seeing one up close and personal.

Thanks for the info.

09-30-09 12:11 AM
    This just goes to show how shook up RIM is about the Iphone coming to Verizon. Im sure RIM is trying to sure up the market for GSM users so when Verizon does get the Iphone this holiday season, RIM will have more product for people to go to. Which is also why Verizon hasn't picked up on there BB game. They have the big hitter coming very soon and it doesnt make sense to get too many new BB's when they;re expecting a lot of there customers to go to the Iphone. I just hope RIM doesn't get in trouble when the Iphone is unleashed. Could be deadly
    I don't think RIM has anything to worry about. They dominate the smart phone market. Most people that really want an iPhone have already gotten one.
    09-30-09 01:02 AM
    Why is it people think RIM is worried about the iphone? I'm so sick of that comparison its not even valid! And as for the iphone coming to verizon that is a rumor not a fact!

09-30-09 01:17 AM
    Ok so no 3g and its a GSM. Then the specs must be better then the 8900. Whats otherwise the point of the device next a trackpad?
    09-30-09 05:33 AM
    the iphone is not comming to verizon the apple tablet it is a small little notebook if i remember it has a 8inch screen
    09-30-09 05:57 AM
    I'm from the UK, so could someone clear up what the difference is between CDMA and GSM?

With so many new BBs coming out it's hard to keep track, so:

Atlas = upgraded Javelin 8900
    Essex = upgraded Tour
    8530 = Gemini 8520 for CDMA?

as well as the Bold Onyx 9700 and Storm 2 9550?

I wonder how many of these will actually come to the Uk, my 8900 is getting a tad worse for wear.....
    09-30-09 06:52 AM
    CDMA is the radio network used by a few carriers in the US and asia. Its different then the GSM networks then we for example use in the US.

Check for more detailed info:
    CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ones coming to the UK are probably 9700, new Storm and 8520. Dont think the tour and essex will ever make it here, although you can use them as they are also suited for GSM and the 1700 GSM 3G ban which is mainly used here in Europe

The Atlas might make it to Europe if its a GSM only device
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 09-30-09 at 07:21 AM.
    09-30-09 07:15 AM
    Thanks for clearing that up! I think i'll try and hold out for the 9700
    09-30-09 08:27 AM
    Here we go another device from RIM. How about working on releasing us 5.O already.

09-30-09 09:06 AM
    Like Sal already stated in one of his previous blogs, they probably wont do that as it would prevent people from buying any of the upcoming devices.

It would be logical business wise to wait until the Onyx and Storm 2 drop.

There are already 5.0 os floating around for the Tour that are pretty stable. You can get on of those.

Unfortunately my 8310 will probably never get a 5.0 OS
    09-30-09 09:17 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD