8months later there's an Ad on 7th and 34th St. Downtown, Manhattan. Yes, very late. Lots of big screens in NY and they don't even think that would make any difference.

First Ad seen in Manhattan, NYC-img_20130718.jpg
    08-21-13 11:38 PM
    Awesome. Wish the name was "The new super BlackBerry Z10 " to distinguish the difference between bbos and bb10

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    08-21-13 11:57 PM
    They need to start advertising how BB10 is not like the OLD BBOS to get ppl thinkin there is benefit and innovation

Swiped from the Ever So Awesome White Berry Z10 10.2 on CB10
    08-22-13 06:30 AM
    Nice ad!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 07:55 AM
    They should have put the Z10 out in front. Would have been more relevant/appealing. Instead, it is cowering behind the Q10 like a scared little girl lol

And as someone also said, BlackBerry does need to drive the point home the BB10 is a fresh start and isn't even related to BBOS.
    08-22-13 07:59 AM
    @ajst222

I actually like the Q10 up front. It is a cue for those used to legacy devices that they still get the keyboard in an all new OS. That is a huge portion of the BBOS base to be converted. The Z10 behind is also effective (IMO) in that the hint of it could pique people's interest enough to make them want to go find out what that is. Good to see the advertising in that large market nonetheless.
    08-22-13 08:14 AM
    They need to start advertising how BB10 is not like the OLD BBOS to get ppl thinkin there is benefit and innovation
    No. Just let BBOS be what it is. Instead of competing against it's legacy OS they should be competing against the OSs and devices that are currently relevant and point out the benefits of BB10 vs those. Move forward and all that...
    08-22-13 08:21 AM
    As I always say fire Frank B...the guys has no experience...

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:26 AM
    They need to advertise that it's a "TOTALLY NEW EXPERIENCE." Most people will look at that ad and think it's the same old BlackBerry device.

And why the heck advertise the keyboard? Everyone knows the BlackBerry has a good keyboard. Advertise the time shift camera or remote file access.
    BK_NY_RAY likes this.
    08-22-13 08:27 AM
    No. Just let BBOS be what it is. Instead of competing against it's legacy OS they should be competing against the OSs and devices that are currently relevant and point out the benefits of BB10 vs those. Move forward and all that...
    I don't think that it would be competing against the legacy OS. In order for BB10 to compete with Android, iOS, and WP, they need to let people know that it isn't BBOS as BBOS left a pretty bad taste in people's mouths especially towards the end. When people think of BlackBerry, they think of BBOS. Granted, they don't call it "BBOS", it is just referred to as "BlackBerry", as in "BlackBerry is outdated". They don't know that BB10 is here and is MUCH different.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-22-13 08:32 AM
    They need to advertise that it's a "TOTALLY NEW EXPERIENCE." Most people will look at that ad and think it's the same old BlackBerry device.

And why the heck advertise the keyboard? Everyone knows the BlackBerry has a good keyboard. Advertise the time shift camera or remote file access.
    How precisely do you do that on a static billboard?
    08-22-13 08:49 AM
    How precisely do you do that on a static billboard?
    In the world of BYOD how about:

BB10...its not your company's Blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:53 AM
    @ajst222

Completely understandable BUT, if it is true that BBOS has "left a bad taste" why remind people. The more you remind people of the old the more you invite the inevitable reaction, deserved or not, of it's the same old crap in a new wrapper.

Almost no one that has revamped spends much time going on about how they are better than the old, (new and improved labels notwithstanding) They focus on the new product and how it compares to other like kind products. Hyundai has no ads saying "yeah, our old stuff was crap, but these new cars...". BP has no ads saying "yeah, we almost totally f'd up the gulf but look at as now..."
    08-22-13 08:59 AM
    @ajst222

Completely understandable BUT, if it is true that BBOS has "left a bad taste" why remind people. The more you remind people of the old the more you invite the inevitable reaction, deserved or not, of it's the same old crap in a new wrapper.

Almost no one that has revamped spends much time going on about how they are better than the old, (new and improved labels notwithstanding) They focus on the new product and how it compares to other like kind products. Hyundai has no ads saying "yeah, our old stuff was crap, but these new cars...". BP has no ads saying "yeah, we almost totally f'd up the gulf but look at as now..."
    Well the part about BP is true. I still see a handful of BP ads a week sending that exact message . And it isn't reminding consumers. If it was reminding consumers, then it would give them the idea "Oh...they're still pushing those phones?". They are letting them know how far they have advanced.

In this case, BlackBerry does need to say how much better BB10 is when compared to BBOS. They do need to move on from it at some point. And it's not like they need to bash it. All I had in mind was a commercial that would be like: "We went beyond the typical upgrade. Instead of adding a few new features to our old product, we built a whole new ground breaking operating system from scratch providing a completely new and refined experience that our previous products and the competition can't compete with" etc etc.
    08-22-13 09:15 AM
    ...we built a whole new groundbreaking operating system from scratch, providing a completely new and refined experience that our previous products and the competition can't compete with" etc etc.
    This I'd go with
    bb624 likes this.
    08-22-13 09:21 AM
    This I'd go with
    There's nothing wrong with mentioning that the new product is better than the old product. That should be a given. And saying that the old product (along with the competition) can't compete with the new product shows the consumer what a huge leap the new product is and how it set the bar.
    08-22-13 09:25 AM
    There's nothing wrong with mentioning that the new product is better than the old product. That should be a given. And saying that the old product (along with the competition) can't compete with the new product shows the consumer what a huge leap the new product is and how it set the bar.
    I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it is pointless to focus on the new being better than the old. That is the whole point of "NEW" after all. My point is still that the effort would be better if focused on how BB10 comapres to what is considered it's contemporaries, not it's past, even when it is their own product.
    08-22-13 09:38 AM
    I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it is pointless to focus on the new being better than the old. That is the whole point of "NEW" after all. My point is still that the effort would be better if focused on how BB10 comapres to what is considered it's contemporaries, not it's past, even when it is their own product.
    I obviously agree that BlackBerry should focus on how BB10 is better than the current competition but what I am saying is that BlackBerry needs to do something via marketing on how to change the public's perception that BlackBerry is just the same old dated thing.
    08-22-13 09:41 AM
    I obviously agree that BlackBerry should focus on how BB10 is better than the current competition but what I am saying is that BlackBerry needs to do something via marketing on how to change the public's perception that BlackBerry is just the same old dated thing.
    Agreed and this brilliant commercial for Kia is how you do that without dwelling on the older products:

ajst222 likes this.
    08-22-13 09:49 AM
    Unfortunately I have a sense that maybe people don't really want to learn a new platform since the competition already does everything. Blackberry most likely isn't a platform people were accustomed to, unless you are in the more Blackberry dominated countries. People already are too used with what they have that Blackberry barely amuses them or catches their interest.

I think word of mouth could solve that. I was interested in Blackberry way back when the Bold series took off, and my sis was the one who used a Blackberry, and I thought it was cool so it was in the back of my head...

Turns out I became a fan ever since. This is how Blackberry marketing must encompass : word of mouth opportunities.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 09:50 AM
    Agreed and this brilliant commercial for Kia is how you do that without dwelling on the older products:

I agree. That is an excellent ad by Kia that I've always liked. And another excellent ad that does the same thing by Kia's parent company, Hyundai:
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-22-13 10:16 AM
    8months later there's an Ad on 7th and 34th St. Downtown, Manhattan. Yes, very late. Lots of big screens in NY and they don't even think that would make any difference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130718.jpg 
Views:	897 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	194586
    You must walk around NYC just looking at your BlackBerry and not what's going on around you. That ad has been up for about a month at least already. I posted about it on 7/26 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post8896046

The ad is actually a rotating digital ad and has several views of the devices and points out the keyboards as well as the time shift camera function. The ad is right by the Long Island Rail Road entrance to Penn Station which sees heavy traffic by business people and others.

There is another very similar rotating electronic display in Times Square that has been up since at least mid-June. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post8676252

Also the LIRR recently signed a deal to allow a bunch of digital signs with advertising throughout the concourse in Penn Station. BlackBerry ads have been all over those signs from day 1. (Great deal for the railroad BTW - they get ad revenue plus they received a bunch of large screens to replace ancient small TV monitors they were using to display train schedules and they can take over all the signs to display emergency messages if needed.)

And they have had the BlackBerry van demonstrating the phones at least 3 times on Seventh Avenue near Penn http://forums.crackberry.com/general...an-nyc-805183/

I still think there is more that they can do. They really should have had BlackBerry reps in the stores in NYC (BestBuy and cell phone company stores) educating people on the products and preventing sales people from pushing buyers to other phones. Hopefully they keep putting more resources into marketing.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-22-13 10:16 AM
    You must walk around NYC just looking at your BlackBerry and not what's going on around you. That ad has been up for about a month at least already. I posted about it on 7/26 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post8896046

The ad is actually a rotating digital ad and has several views of the devices and points out the keyboards as well as the time shift camera function. The ad is right by the Long Island Rail Road entrance to Penn Station which sees heavy traffic by business people and others.

There is another very similar rotating electronic display in Times Square that has been up since at least mid-June. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post8676252

Also the LIRR recently signed a deal to allow a bunch of digital signs with advertising throughout the concourse in Penn Station. BlackBerry ads have been all over those signs from day 1. (Great deal for the railroad BTW - they get ad revenue plus they received a bunch of large screens to replace ancient small TV monitors they were using to display train schedules and they can take over all the signs to display emergency messages if needed.)

And they have had the BlackBerry van demonstrating the phones at least 3 times on Seventh Avenue near Penn http://forums.crackberry.com/general...an-nyc-805183/

I still think there is more that they can do. They really should have had BlackBerry reps in the stores in NYC (BestBuy and cell phone company stores) educating people on the products and preventing sales people from pushing buyers to other phones. Hopefully they keep putting more resources into marketing.
    Stop talking what you don't know. I don't care if it's there 1month ago, that doesn't make it good for them. I live uptown, haven't seen an ad from them but from other platforms. You don't even see the poster in mobile stores saying "BlackBerry 10 is here!!!"...only iOs and Android. And that's what you need to know because at this point is a BlackBerry problem with everything as a company. Never be proud or satisfied with the marketing BlackBerry has because they're not doing it. I hope one day people like you stop thinking that everything is going great with BB10, just admit that and be angry at them. That's not even Time Square, Wtf!!!. Yes, I am mad because we are a few hundreds on CrackBerry, not even a % of what the company need to sell the phone. Hope u understand.
    08-22-13 03:20 PM
    Stop talking what you don't know.
    Huh? I'm just pointing out the facts. Not only do you walk around NYC with your head down you can't even take the time to read my post. Your original post said BlackBerry just put an ad up on 8th Ave & 34th St which is across from Penn Station. To say that BlackBerry has done no advertising until now is a misstatement. I merely pointed out that the ad has been there for a month and there is another one in Times Square that has been there since June. I mentioned that the 2 billboards are rotating electronic ads since others were replying to your post that the ad you pictured didn't say enough. I noted that they are placing ads all over the inside of Penn Station as well. Don't know what you have seen, but I have seen these ads with my own eyes and know they exist!

Never be proud or satisfied with the marketing BlackBerry has because they're not doing it. I hope one day people like you stop thinking that everything is going great with BB10, just admit that and be angry at them.
    No where did I say that they are doing a great job. In fact I said "I still think there is more they can do" and "Hopefully they keep putting more resources into marketing."

That's not even Time Square, Wtf!!!.
    If you clicked on the links you'd see that I linked to two separate pictures of the 2 billboards - one in Times Square and one across from Penn Station. So WTF to you!!!
    08-22-13 03:45 PM
    Simmer down already! You're starting to sound like perpetually irritated New Yorkers.

The ads in and around Penn Station are good to see, but we still need more aggressive TV coverage wherein BB10 struts its stuff.
    BBVegasGirl80 and ajst222 like this.
    08-22-13 05:54 PM
41 12