Firm seeks to bar Nokia, RIM, Palm from importing devices into U.S. | InfoWorld | News | 2009-01-16 | By Grant Gross, IDG News Service

A patent-holding company from Texas is seeking to bar six companies -- including BlackBerry maker Research in Motion, Palm, and Nokia -- from importing handheld devices into the U.S. for allegedly violating its patents.

Saxon Innovations, based in Tyler, Texas, filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) on Dec. 19, and on Thursday, the ITC voted to investigate the complaint. If the ITC finds that the complaint is legitimate, it could bar the handheld makers from importing products, such as mobile phones and remote control devices, containing the patented inventions.

Saxon's complaint alleges that Nokia's N73 mobile phone violates two of the three patents, and its N95 phone violates the third. RIM's BlackBerry 8100 Pearl device violates two of the patents, and Palm's Treo 700p violates two of the patents, according to Saxon's complaint.

ITC patent complaints can result in several different outcomes, said Peg O'Laughlin, an ITC spokeswoman. Some complaints are dropped, some settled, but "many, many" result in an ITC ruling barring imports of products,
    Research in Motion's Litigation department will be all over this one.
    01-16-09 12:48 PM
    They have the bawls to take on RIM? And all the other companies? Wow. They are going to get mowed over.
    01-16-09 01:08 PM
    lol, they're gonna get owned
    01-16-09 01:15 PM
    wow this company has a whole 5 employees. what do they actually do other than purchase patents and bar other companies from distributing their products. No money in that unless they want a settlement for copyright infringment from the other companies to continue to do business ??? I dont know all the specifics in this but from the surface of what I do know, Saxon needs to get a REAL job, and while you at it hire some more people, it will help the economy

Also stay away from the Big Boys, you will get hurt

Julian
    01-16-09 01:22 PM
    I dunno if I'd b quite so confident till its looked in2....a patent is a patent...if they violated it they're screwed.
    01-16-09 01:23 PM
    How can 4 phones hit the market and stay there for such an extensive period of time whithout someone saying something? I mean really 3 different companies with 4 different phones? I am sure all of these companies were collaborating together sharing phone designs and components.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 01:39 PM
    wow this company has a whole 5 employees. what do they actually do other than purchase patents and bar other companies from distributing their products. No money in that unless they want a settlement for copyright infringment from the other companies to continue to do business ??? I dont know all the specifics in this but from the surface of what I do know, Saxon needs to get a REAL job, and while you at it hire some more people, it will help the economy

Also stay away from the Big Boys, you will get hurt

Julian
    I actually live in Tyler, Texas and have never heard of them. But they are in the phone book.

Saxxon Innovations LLC
    1000 E. Ferguson ST 75702
    903-593-3224
    01-17-09 04:26 PM
    I actually live in Tyler, Texas and have never heard of them. But they are in the phone book.

Saxxon Innovations LLC
    1000 E. Ferguson ST 75702
    903-593-3224
    You should go pay them a little visit. lol

01-17-09 07:24 PM
    In a related story I will be suing John Travolta for stealing my dance moves.....

01-17-09 07:26 PM
    LOL! Then again didn't RIM settle on their last lawsuit?
    01-18-09 12:04 AM
    These idiots are gonna get destroyed in court. Do they not realize the judge and probably half the attorneys have Berries or Palms. Not only that but have you ever been to tyler,TX???? Its roughly the size of my backyard, meaning the people are all slack-jawed yokels and they're probably frightened and threatened by technology as futuristic as cell phones and email devices. Go RIM Go!!!!

01-18-09 04:45 AM
    In a related story I will be suing John Travolta for stealing my dance moves.....

Lmfao. Classic.

01-18-09 05:57 AM
    Slow down guys. Our country has a very interesting history of individuals or small companies destroying multi-level conglomerates, such as in this situation. The law is very clear on improper use of patented technology. Laws such as this are designed specifically for the "little people", and keeps them from being "walked on" by larger companies. If this is in fact a legitimate situation, then the ban could very well go into effect.
    01-18-09 06:52 AM
    I agree with most of U, except for the person that said about the people of Tyler, Texas. That was in bad taste!

01-18-09 06:59 AM
    Wow, you guys have awfully short memories. Only 3 years ago, RIM had to cough up half a billion dollars to another tiny patent holding company called NTP.

Check out this article.
    01-18-09 11:48 AM
    Hasn't rim already been sued for email......and lost! And there's nothing special about the pearl so why bother lol

01-18-09 12:14 PM
    rim will settle out. their business is booming at the moment and i'm sure it will be worth their while to keep this on the down low and allow the business to continue to boom.

surely such a small company is expecting a settlement.
    01-18-09 12:22 PM
    RIMM BRIEF: Research in Motion buys Las Colinas office complex

Research in Motion buys Las Colinas office complex

Jan 16, 2009 (The Dallas Morning News - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX)...Telecommunications firm Research in Motion has purchased the six-building Las Colinas office complex where it has offices.

The Canadian company that makes the popular BlackBerry has had offices in the buildings for almost two years.

Now, Research in Motion has purchased the 460,297-square-foot Riverside Commons office complex from Dallas' Westmount Realty Capital LLC.

"They decided that this property in our community was where they were going to be growing their U.S. headquarters," said Westmount's Cliff Booth. "Once they made that decision, it became logical for them to own the property.'

"We are very pleased in this environment to be able to sell a property," Mr. Booth said.
    US head office in Irving, Texas is growing.

Openings in the Litigation department? You can accommodate a lot of legal staff in a half million square feet.

Does send a powerful message.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-18-09 at 01:07 PM.
    01-18-09 12:54 PM
    rim will settle out.
    Unfortunately, this isn't just against RIM
    01-18-09 01:21 PM
    if its true they will settle out of court. do you remember when nokia and qualcomm sued each other and the thing stayed in the court system a long time and nokia pull out of CDMA and all that good stuff.
    01-18-09 07:38 PM
    Depending upon the resources and determination of this plaintiff, its likely to just be a lawyer fight for a few years with no impact on we the consumer.
    01-19-09 12:08 AM
    These idiots are gonna get destroyed in court. Do they not realize the judge and probably half the attorneys have Berries or Palms. Not only that but have you ever been to tyler,TX???? Its roughly the size of my backyard, meaning the people are all slack-jawed yokels and they're probably frightened and threatened by technology as futuristic as cell phones and email devices. Go RIM Go!!!!

Come on now.

Thats a bit extreme.

I find it interesting that these Stereotypes still run rampant.

Southerners, Texans etc aren't stupid.

We're all humans, with the same brains, with the same potential.

Birth Place Has No Bearing On Your IQ.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-20-09 at 12:15 PM.
    01-20-09 12:12 PM
    if its true they will settle out of court. do you remember when nokia and qualcomm sued each other and the thing stayed in the court system a long time and nokia pull out of CDMA and all that good stuff.
    Either that or the masses of CrackBerry addicts will converge on Tyler, Texas and burn their offices to the ground for forcing us into rehab.
    01-20-09 01:11 PM

Wow. You are definitely some kind of *****.

01-21-09 11:11 AM
    This is interesting...Hope they (the patent company) lose!
    01-23-09 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD