hey guys I was looking at a tech news blog that firefox just launched a new OS in the market.

It has limited features and is basically going for simplicity and economical.

But this opens up a whole new door for more variety to come in the market.

Firefox has always been a reliable browser with a new OS it could provide a promosing experience!

http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/zt...x-os-launched/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Waheed hussin likes this.
    07-01-13 09:30 AM
    Can't help BBRY any.
    07-01-13 09:38 AM
    It will be DOA
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-01-13 11:54 AM
    Does it have Netflix and Instagram ?
    BB10QNX likes this.
    07-01-13 05:06 PM
    Why would anybody go for an OS that has no apps? People keep talking about Android winning ppl I er because it's cheap and gives consumers access to the second largest app store. I just don't see the appeal even in emerging markets where consumers can purchase an equal Android phone AND use every single app on the Google Play store. I mean I commend them, competition is always good, I just don't see this as a threat at the moment, especially since I doubt developers will want to support YET another OS. Mozilla based on my knowledge has been a mainstay in the browser market, but really how much profit or revenue can one generate through such a venture and how much can one differentiate their mobile offering? The one benefit they have is that they are open sourced and not traded on the stock market so they can push on without adhering to investors and being tossed around by speculation.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 10:16 AM
    It's the ultra low end.

With all these other OS's coming out, my fear is that BBRY will get lost in the noise.

ETA: It actually looks pretty cool. I don't want one, but I could see it selling.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/partners/
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...ons-firefox-os
    07-02-13 10:21 AM
    Dang, a very low end device indeed. $90 for a low spec phone. I'll be trying it out when it releases in the USA

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 11:17 AM
    This will probably sell well on prepaid carriers in the US

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 01:55 PM
    It will be DOA
    This and the other three new Mobile OS coming to the market are design more for emerging markets. They will all be very low cost devices with very limited ecosystems. Of course the markets they will be targeting don't rely much on ecosystems, a browser and a few major apps for social networks may be all some need.

An article I read said that one device would sell for less than $100 US. And that the devices with that OS wouldn't even be seen in the US.
    07-02-13 03:40 PM
    This and the other three new Mobile OS coming to the market are design more for emerging markets. They will all be very low cost devices with very limited ecosystems. Of course the markets they will be targeting don't rely much on ecosystems, a browser and a few major apps for social networks may be all some need.

An article I read said that one device would sell for less than $100 US. And that the devices with that OS wouldn't even be seen in the US.

Spain is now an emerging market? It has the highest penetration of smartphones in the EU...
    07-03-13 02:09 AM
    I am interested in Ubuntu...it has a gesture based UI and seems like would be a very easy switch.
    Open source very secure, and has a VERY dedicated core of computer rebels constantly looking to stick it to Apple and Windows...my kind of folks

sudo apple can eat it

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 02:35 PM
    Spain is now an emerging market? It has the highest penetration of smartphones in the EU...
    Firefox OS is for the low end, most countries have that segment, even Germany (will be launched there). People that are still using feature phones and want something simple, cheap, to check the mail and browse the web, they don't care about the apps, this OS is perfect for them.

I think Firefox Os has a good chance of having success. HTML5 is growing and improving every year and those cheap Android phones can't run the new HTML5 apps. Android Developers will forget about gingerbread when is less than 20% of share and mostly used in emerging markets. So, in a couple years Firefox not only will be cheaper (no license fee to Microsoft) but will also have the app advantage over the super-low-end Android.

Google will launch a Chrome phone eventually, that's the bigger problem for the future of Mozilla, but in the mean time the can fill that space. There are more than 4 billion people who don't own a smartphone, Firefox OS certainly has a niche.
    Last edited by tiziano27; 07-12-13 at 02:44 PM.
    07-12-13 01:57 PM
    I think Tizen has a bigger chance of getting some momentum. Firefox maybe some of the low end, but I really can't see it catching on. It'll be interesting though, because Ubuntu, Tizen and Firefox (and Sailfish? Haven't heard about that recently) will all be competing to become the next big OS. I think one or two will go down pretty fast.
    07-12-13 03:11 PM
    Honestly, some people could care less about apps. I know people my age even that would never dare trade their T9 phones for a slab of glass. In emerging markets where data comes at a premium, a phone that is just a phone is more than what anyone can wish for. Money comes from selling boatloads of these things at ridiculously cheap prices. Its good for the market since it introduces people to the concept of a smartphone...
    07-12-13 03:18 PM
    I think Tizen has a bigger chance of getting some momentum. Firefox maybe some of the low end, but I really can't see it catching on. It'll be interesting though, because Ubuntu, Tizen and Firefox (and Sailfish? Haven't heard about that recently) will all be competing to become the next big OS. I think one or two will go down pretty fast.
    If Samsung or other Android OEM forks Android and sell it with other name, then they would be expelled from the Open Handset Alliance and they couldn't sale Android devices anymore. So, if OEMs want to try a new path to differentiate and improve their shrinking margins, they need a new -really open source- operating system.

Carriers also want a new OS to bring more competence to high end smartphone market dominated by Apple and Samsung. For example, Verizon announced this week that is supporting Ubuntu Phone.

So I expect a big push from the whole industry for the success of these new open source OSs.
    07-12-13 08:31 PM