Oh well if that's the case I'll have to try and persuade her to switch back to BlackBerry when she is due an upgrade later this year. I know for sure that she won't be sticking with a windows phone!

The WP8 devices are all getting WP8.1.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    02-26-14 03:22 AM
    Now if only Microsoft would play fair and give BB10 Skype...

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 11:59 PM
    The only reason BB decided to release BBM for WP is because of the 19B whatsApp sale. It was a nice wakeup call for Blackberry.
    02-27-14 12:01 AM
    The only reason BB decided to release BBM for WP is because of the 19B whatsApp sale. It was a nice wakeup call for Blackberry.
    I'm sure they had it planned before the sale happened. These things take months to plan out as they go down their priority list.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-14 12:47 AM
    I'm sure they had it planned before the sale happened. These things take months to plan out as they go down their priority list.

Posted via CB10
    I really doubt it. Just few weeks ago they said Window phone was not in their plans. So it was a decision that came after the whatsApp sale.
    02-27-14 12:55 AM
    Yep Finally they changed their minds. About time.

As the market share of WP is supplanting BlackBerry you would think BBM would be of importance to expand

From my Last post of Messaging providers:

-Facebook Messenger is now officially on Windows Phone plus the purchase of whatsapp send shock waves to BlackBerry to reconsider or be left behind.

I really want to use my BlackBerry ID for something after leaving it on my PlayBook and Bold 9900.

I really doubt that Skype division of Microsoft will spend resources on BlackBerry besides porting Android versions due to market share.
    03-10-14 01:07 PM
    I think BlackBerry really NEEDS Skype. Currently we have no real video over internet protocol application that's cross platform. No Tango, Skype, Oovoo, nothing

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 02:33 PM
    I think BlackBerry really NEEDS Skype. Currently we have no real video over internet protocol application that's cross platform. No Tango, Skype, Oovoo, nothing

Posted via CB10
    We have Skype... Though it isn't a background app yet.
    03-11-14 02:46 PM
    They told you this, did they?
    03-11-14 07:18 PM
    I certainly wasn't imagining my Skype call on my Z10 earlier today. Yes, it's a weird Android port with partial integration into the other parts of the device, but it definitely exists.

Skype - BlackBerry World
    03-11-14 07:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not skype please it doesn't work. It barely work on a PC and certainly doesn't work on my phone. The video is so jerky & the sound is merely acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 07:30 PM
    Lol they want companies to "care about the minority" and directly ignore the minority that actually has a larger market share than us BlackBerry owners. xD

Posted via CB10
    Over the last 3 years I've only encountered 2 windows phone users so far.

Many more BlackBerry legacy phones, Some BlackBerry 10 phones. Countless Android & iPhones.

I seriously doubt windows phone has a bigger market share than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 07:40 PM
    Strangely... I saw one on the subway for the first time in Toronto today! First time seeing one on the TTC, though I have seen one other at Pearson and my old GF's dad had one. But they're pretty rare for me to see, even compared to BlackBerry 10. For reference, my commute on the Subway today turned up four Q10s and three Z10s being looked at.

That said, it's important not to assume our experiences are the same as all global markets. Windows Phone has been increasing in many markets even if it is anemic in Canada and treading water in the United States

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm

Data suggests that it is outdoing BlackBerry for new device sales almost everywhere except maybe Canada. Not sure if the global base has passed BlackBerry OS yet but it's got to be getting close given BlackBerry's decline

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-11-14 at 09:24 PM.
    03-11-14 09:01 PM

Many more BlackBerry legacy phones, Some BlackBerry 10 phones. Countless Android & iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    You'd be very surprised at the Kantar World panel numbers then

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 09:12 PM
    I think the numbers include windows tablet & pc's too

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 07:45 AM
    I think the numbers include windows tablet & pc's too

Posted via CB10
    IIRC, Kantar's numbers are solely for phones.

Last quarter Nokia sold 6.8M WP phones. BB10 I believe is around 5M total in the year it's been out from the figures BB have released at ERs.

I'm not sure, and can't check from work, but I have a WP userbase of 34M tugging at my memory. So BB's userbase is probably still larger at the moment.

JBB
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-12-14 at 12:45 PM.
    propeller10 likes this.
    03-12-14 08:24 AM
    IIRC, Kantar's numbers are solely for phones.

Last quarter Nokia sold 6.8M WP phones. BB10 I believe is around 5M total in the year it's been out from the figures BB have released at ERs.

I'm not sure, and can't check from work, but I have a WP userbase of 34M tugging at my memory. So BB's userbase is probably still larger at the moment.

JBB
    Sorry Jbb but I seriously doubt Kantar figures.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 12:09 PM
    Sorry Jbb but I seriously doubt Kantar figures.

Posted via CB10
    Which is fine by me. What you choose to believe is a matter for you and it's not for me to convince you of the accuracy, or otherwise, of Kantar's metrics other than to say that they are widely accepted within the industry as reflecting current sales trends.

As to WinPhone's userbase, it seems I'd remembered too low. I found this: AdDuplex: Windows Phone installed base hits 50 million | WMPoweruser ... from about a month ago.

If that's close to accurate, and Nokia managing to sell 6.8 Million WP phones in a single quarter implies that it may be, then WP's and BB's userbase may be extremely close. That would tend to be confirmed by ComScore's recent survey reporting that both have around 3% of the US market.

WinPhone popularity seems to be regional. As others have said, Europe seems to love WP, the US/Canada not so much.
    propeller10 likes this.
    03-12-14 01:01 PM
    Also, I would like to add that Skype is TERRIBLE.

1) Doesn't function properly. Hangs up, no background app support, unresponsive.

2) Overheats my phone.

3) Drains battery like a *****.

4) Lacks native UI so it doesn't look good either.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 04:31 PM
    If that's close to accurate, and Nokia managing to sell 6.8 Million WP phones in a single quarter implies that it may be, then WP's and BB's userbase may be extremely close. That would tend to be confirmed by ComScore's recent survey reporting that both have around 3% of the US market.
    Yeah - that'd be my guess too. I definitely think Microsoft was being a little too eager (as were some fanboys and analysts) at proclaiming Windows Phone to be "the third largest ecosystem" in the past, but it's probably fairly close now. Between Windows Phones' rise in some key markets and BlackBerry OS's fast decline, they've got to be in the same vicinity now.
    03-12-14 07:23 PM
    Sadly, BBM looks quite dead in the developed markets. BBM is strong in Indonesia and Nigeria, and probably number two in South Africa and Venezuela.
    If the winner takes all in networks, the value of BBM depends almost entirely on keeping the #1 in Indonesia and Nigeria. If they win in those two markets they have 420m people to target in the long run, probably BBM would be acquired by a bigger player.
    So, BBM needs WP to consolidate its position because that platform has a significant market share in those countries, and WP needs BBM to grow there.
    03-12-14 10:45 PM
    what is wp|?
    03-14-14 05:28 PM
47 12