How do you "invest in social media"?

BlackBerry offered money and free support to these various developers to write apps for BB10, and they all refused. They were happy with the current 2-ecosystem world.
    Microsoft's war chest wouldn't cut it, let alone BlackBerry's.
    conite likes this.
    09-28-16 09:21 AM
    Microsoft's war chest wouldn't cut it, let alone BlackBerry's.
    Sadly all too true. Microsoft couldn't change that developers preferred to write for Android and iOS, whether it's due to frameworks, market share or both. When you need to turn a profit from your mobile apps, do you write for the phone platform with a billion users, or 50 million? Unless you can make the definitive app that everyone uses on the smaller platform, you're probably better off reaching the wider audience.
    09-28-16 09:36 AM
    US Gov has no say in what a Canadian company does in regards to selling itself to another company. They can cancel contracts or whatnot but they have no legal jurisdiction to tell foreign companies who they can and can't do business with.

It would be up to the Canadian government to block the sale based on national security concerns as they have stated before in the past when rumour was that BlackBerry was for sale.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    Haha that's the same US gov that topples other Govs? US Gov has a say in everything.. Well, actually they won't have to say anything in that matter because BB won't sell anyway. They're their biggest and most important client ever since the company's inception.

Please, they prosecuted the Fifa, the international government of football which has its HQ in Switzerland. They did it through the FBI, which has jurisdiction only inside the US, how about that?.. If you're European or familiar with the Fifa matter, you will know quite well the reach of the US Gov's jurisdiction, its practically international, spoils everywhere.
    09-28-16 09:39 AM
    My personal opinion is that they won't cancel the contracts.

The OS10 has just become the new BBOS (7.1 and before).

They let it slow die.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 10:02 AM
    One thing I would like to know, will the newly goed joint venture in Indonesia make all the BlackBerry phones, or only for the Indonesian market?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 10:33 AM
    One thing I would like to know, will the newly goed joint venture in Indonesia make all the BlackBerry phones, or only for the Indonesian market?

Indonesian market only. It is in the press release.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-28-16 11:08 AM
    When was there a point to develop for BB10?
    2007 was the time they should have developed BB10. A well run company would have recognized the competition coming and started earlier. The fact was they started developing way to late and when they did release in 2013 the OS was not ready and took over a year to work out the bugs. The game was up in 2013, maybe if they had released a solid OS with an easy transition plan from BBOS they might have be able to stabilize with around ~4-5% market share.
    09-28-16 12:34 PM
    2007 was the time they should have developed BB10. A well run company would have recognized the competition coming and started earlier. The fact was they started developing way to late and when they did release in 2013 the OS was not ready and took over a year to work out the bugs. The game was up in 2013, maybe if they had released a solid OS with an easy transition plan from BBOS they might have be able to stabilize with around ~4-5% market share.
    I agree to a point. Truth be told, I think I told some before, that many people revised the history of iPhone. The original iPhone SUCKED. Again, it was horrible and the worst smartphone at the time crapped on it, as it related to functionality. What the iPhone DID do was disrupt phone design and that's what RIM should have noticed; but I can also understand the situation. It would have required a complete rebuild or purchase of an OS and being the #1 smart phone company at the time, you would have to look at things a little hard. I hate it came to this as I've always been a support and carried BBOS and BB10 phones as primary and secondary phones since 2005. It is what is is; apps determine market share. *Ye shrug*
    3Dee likes this.
    09-28-16 02:27 PM
    Blackberry is now a secure software company. They will "exit" the hardware market by getting rid of all the BlackBerry 10 phones, and giving it limited updates for its current corporate and government clients. Passport, Leap and Classic are dead.

But I do believe they will continue to sell BlackBerry branded smartphones in partnership with TCL. To showcase their software.

It's the same as what happened with Philips tv's. Philips "quit" the television market by outsourcing their manufacturer to TP Vision. TP Vision (a Dutch Chinese joint venture) now makes and sells Philips branded tv's. In the future BlackBerry will fully focus on software while TCL makes the hardware.

This is my y post from some time ago. I knew this was coming. I will really miss BlackBerry 's original hardware such as Passport and Classic. But this is the way it is. And I actually don't really mind as long as I have the BlackBerry secure software, Hub, DTEK, Keyboard, Password Keeper etc.

That BlackBerry Merchant of Venice BBM Channel prediction is becoming more true everyday. Is that your channel?

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    09-28-16 04:34 PM
    Of course but didn't they purchase QNX in 2010?

09-28-16 06:49 PM
    Well ...

Should be able to get that Classic off eBay or Amazon more cheaply now anyway.

... silver linings en such.
    09-28-16 08:08 PM
    Of course but didn't they purchase QNX in 2010?

Exactly the point. By the time they purchased QNX they were already to late.
    09-28-16 11:53 PM
    What agencies use their devices?

EMM, yes. Devices, almost none.
    DOHS: Department of Homeland Security
    Most health care.
    Big business/Stock Wall Street
    09-29-16 12:03 AM
    Exactly the point. By the time they purchased QNX they were already to late.
    Still can remember that All-things-digital interview with Mike L. - I think it was back in 2009.
    When Walt Mossberg and Mike were talking about upcoming super-phones!

Mike tried to make audience calm down and told a journalist how much better their single-core 624MHz is - when Android already were rocking +1GHz.
    And that 2G is all everyone needs. LOL.

They didn't learn from that

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 12:05 AM
    Blackberry is now a secure software company. They will "exit" the hardware market by getting rid of all the BlackBerry 10 phones, and giving it limited updates for its current corporate and government clients. Passport, Leap and Classic are dead.

But I do believe they will continue to sell BlackBerry branded smartphones in partnership with TCL. To showcase their software.
    I suppose you can believe that, but Chen specifically said that they won't be doing this. They are (at the end of the fiscal year, likely after the release of the Rome/Mercury) going to be out of the hardware business and the distribution business. Though they are reserving the right to distribute OEM's designs outside of licensed areas, Chen himself said it was very unlikely that they'd actually do that.

BB's involvement with smartphones (again, after this fiscal year ends) will be limited to licensing the name, software, and perhaps PKB, to OEMs who think they can build a BB that will sell. IMO, there can't be very many of those, and I suspect they'll be small, regional OEMs who build only for their own region (and those regions aren't likely to include Europe or the Americas). Indonesians, South Africans, and Nigerians may be able to buy a new BB smartphone next summer - and it will probably be what we'd consider to be entry-level - but I doubt many people outside those markets will be able to. Of course, I could be wrong...
    cgk, JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-29-16 12:25 AM
    I suppose you can believe that, but Chen specifically said that they won't be doing this. They are (at the end of the fiscal year, likely after the release of the Rome/Mercury) going to be out of the hardware business and the distribution business. Though they are reserving the right to distribute OEM's designs outside of licensed areas, Chen himself said it was very unlikely that they'd actually do that.

BB's involvement with smartphones (again, after this fiscal year ends) will be limited to licensing the name, software, and perhaps PKB, to OEMs who think they can build a BB that will sell. IMO, there can't be very many of those, and I suspect they'll be small, regional OEMs who build only for their own region (and those regions aren't likely to include Europe or the Americas). Indonesians, South Africans, and Nigerians may be able to buy a new BB smartphone next summer - and it will probably be what we'd consider to be entry-level - but I doubt many people outside those markets will be able to. Of course, I could be wrong...
    Yes and no. While Chen did emphasized their partnership with an Indonesian joint venture for that particular market, he also stated they are speaking to potential partners for devices for worldwide release. For a company as TCL it would be very attractive to continue the current line of releasing a BlackBerry variant of their reference design.

09-29-16 01:23 AM
    For a company as TCL it would be very attractive to continue the current line of releasing a BlackBerry variant of their reference design.
    How do you know?

Just because the CURRENT deal makes sense for TCL (BB is buying the devices by paying cash up-front and is stocking, distributing, marketing, and servicing them themselves), doesn't mean that it makes sense for TCL to license BB's name and software and take on all of the inventory and distribution costs/risks themselves. Those are two VERY different situations, with potentially VERY different financial results. TCL can't lose under their current deal, but they could lose very big under the new one, because they'd be taking all the risks.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-29-16 02:27 AM
    I don't know about TCL, but Chinese oems may find BlackBerry useful to enter US market. Like Xiaomi, ZTE and such.
    09-29-16 02:47 AM
    Post the dtek50/ 60/ Mercury, i dont c y an oem wud license the bb brand out of specific loyal regions / for bulk customized enterprise orders. Tcl wud do better, selling cheap CM phones to the average customer.
    With cheap Chinese phones having 'flagship' specs at half the price, y wud the average customer go for bb. Even the Google suspecting ppl hav an option with CM.
    Its a different thing altogether that i wud lov owning a Sony or Oneplus with the blackberry brand

Last edited by blackmass; 09-29-16 at 05:48 AM.
    Ed YANG likes this.
    09-29-16 02:51 AM

https://twitter.com/BlackBerry/statu...3119433912320/

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-29-16 07:16 AM
    The fat lady Has sang quite clear actually .
    09-29-16 08:19 AM
    If you can make out the words, fill us in, because I'm not sure I know how this is going to play out.
    09-29-16 08:33 AM
    Define fat..

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 08:55 AM
    Post the dtek50/ 60/ Mercury, i dont c y an oem wud license the bb brand out of specific loyal regions / for bulk customized enterprise orders. Tcl wud do better, selling cheap CM phones to the average customer.
    With cheap Chinese phones having 'flagship' specs at half the price, y wud the average customer go for bb. Even the Google suspecting ppl hav an option with CM.
    Its a different thing altogether that i wud lov owning a Sony or Oneplus with the blackberry brand

Well, look at this way. One plus 3 specced BlackBerry for the same price? Which phone would the average user want?
    blackmass likes this.
    09-29-16 09:55 AM
    I don't know about TCL, but Chinese oems may find BlackBerry useful to enter US market. Like Xiaomi, ZTE and such.
    How?
    Blackberry cant enter the US market atm as it is.

why would a business use a brand that is dead in a market to try and enter it? makes zero sense
    09-29-16 10:27 AM
208 ... 23456 ...