1) American gov has no say in BlackBerry's sale, and very little exposure at this point...
    2) Canadian gov probable would not block anything at this point, if they did... how hard would it be to move out of some rented offices?
    3) BlackBerry's working with Samsung and Google has been way over stated. KNOX was tweaked to allow BES to work with it, so that Samsung hardware could replace BlackBerry hardware and BES could be left in place... for now.
    4) I don't really see a great fit for BlackBerry for any one tech company... doubt anyone really wants all of BlackBerry, or that they want to pay the overall price to get one division and be bothered will selling off the parts they don't want. So maybe an agreement beforehand....
    But on selling A little different from his comments last year when it seemed like he would only sell if he could get value for Prem and other investors that were well under water. I expect there have been some "talks" at this point... And top of my list would be TCL...
    Very little exposure? Okay: The following is from BlackBerry's insider blog:

"Earlier this month, the United States Army officially endorsed BlackBerry’s AtHoc Crisis Communications Platform through to April 2019.

We support over 80,000 users across multiple divisions of the Department of Homeland Security, including the United States Coast Guard, which expanded its long-running relationship with AtHoc last month. That same month, the United States Senate selected AtHoc as its primary crisis communications solution, and we received Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) approval from DISA for both BES12 and BlackBerry OS 10.3.2.

Other US departments and agencies in which BlackBerry solutions have been deployed include:

The Veteran’s Administration
    The Department of Defense
    The Departments of Energy and Treasury
    The Department of Agriculture

Why the U.S. Government is One of Many to Choose BlackBerry Software | Inside BlackBerry

BlackBerry is involved much much more with the US gov than the Canadian. The US Gov can block it, they can do a lot to stop a Chinese acquisition. The least they can do is threaten BlackBerry that they will no longer be a customer. And Come on, The Canadian Gov would definitely block a move if its a Chinese company.

From the Verge:

"We have been pretty consistent that the message is Canada is open to foreign investment and investment from China in particular but not at the cost of compromising national security," one Canadian government official told The Globe and Mail, speaking on condition of anonymity."

Lenovo's BlackBerry takeover was reportedly thwarted by the Canadian government - The Verge

Even the German Gov was considering the sale of SecuSmart although the German & the american gov are pretty cozy.

16 out of the G20 govs work with BlackBerry. Most of them are western countries that would object or cease to be a client if BlackBerry gets sold to a Chinese company.

In reply to no.3. I've no info about how deep the relationship is, I just wanted to say that they're working together ( with KNOX included) which is proven, so that counts for something, as little as it may be. The rest is agreed on or your opinion so I've nothing to add.
    09-27-16 11:37 AM
    Blocking ??? Whatever happened to free enterprise ????

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-27-16 01:40 PM
    US Gov has no say in what a Canadian company does in regards to selling itself to another company. They can cancel contracts or whatnot but they have no legal jurisdiction to tell foreign companies who they can and can't do business with.

It would be up to the Canadian government to block the sale based on national security concerns as they have stated before in the past when rumour was that BlackBerry was for sale.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    09-27-16 11:47 PM
    Most all of the BB activity is Android based. And you don't even need a BlackBerry phone to use a lot of their apps. To me it seems BB 10 is obviously done. Where is 10.3 for example.

I'd say yes. Over.

09-28-16 12:13 AM
    US Gov has no say in what a Canadian company does in regards to selling itself to another company. They can cancel contracts or whatnot but they have no legal jurisdiction to tell foreign companies who they can and can't do business with.

It would be up to the Canadian government to block the sale based on national security concerns as they have stated before in the past when rumour was that BlackBerry was for sale.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    This view is very simplistic. Governments do have an interest in what BlackBerry does. Not long ago it was rumored that a sale of BlackBerry was blocked by the Canadian gov due to who they were potentially selling to. The US government would not get in bed with BlackBerry for security and have no say in the outcome of the company. Of course if it were to go bankrupt their security aspects would be maintained in the interim before they gov bodies determine what to do.

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    09-28-16 12:50 AM
    There was nothing on the horizon from BlackBerry. They will license the keyboard to someone to build for them for qwerty diehards.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    09-28-16 07:27 AM
    Yep its finally over. BlackBerry are doomed. Chen has failed. The trolls and haters are the ones having the party.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    09-28-16 07:40 AM
    09-28-16 07:48 AM
    It's over!

This was John Chen's plan the whole time!

That's why he was never comfortable when it comes to handset!

So there is no point anymore for developers to make apps for OS10.
    Just bought a Passport SE and now I can be glad if existing apps will continue to work!
    I feel, I burned my cash - I wasn't made, if he told the truth! -but holding people on the line that OS10 has a future is an A-HOLE move!
    That comes out when you trust this CEO and his board of directors!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 07:50 AM
    It's over!

Just bought a Passport SE and now I can be glad if existing apps will continue to work!
    I feel, I burned my cash - I wasn't made, if he told the truth! -but holding people on the line that OS10 has a future is an A-HOLE move!

Posted via CB10
    What did you get from the earnings report with respect to BB10 that you didn't know before?
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    09-28-16 07:54 AM
    I wish someone would have asked if the planned PKB phone was still going to be released or was that cut as well.

Posted via CB10 on My BlackBerry Passport SE Running 10.3.2.2876
    09-28-16 07:57 AM
    What did you get from the earnings report with respect to BB10 that you didn't know before?
    To believe the words of the CEO and his other executives.

They officially tweeted and stated, that OS10 has a future and they support developers.
    For what? 2year old hardware?

That brings the whole WhatsApp and Facebook-thing into a new perspective - it's NOT those companies that cancelled supporting the platform.
    BlackBerry did!
    They officially lied the whole time - to their most loyal fans faces!

Posted via CB10
    david7saad likes this.
    09-28-16 08:02 AM
    To believe the words of the CEO and his other executives.

They officially tweeted and stated, that OS10 has a future and they support developers.
    For what? 2year old hardware?

That brings the whole WhatsApp and Facebook-thing into a new perspective - it's NOT those companies that cancelled supporting the platform.
    BlackBerry did!
    They officially lied the whole time - to their most loyal fans faces!

Posted via CB10
    I'm still not sure what you think changed this morning.

They had previously said they will bring two security updates to BB10 devices, and although they hadn't outright ruled out any future BB10 hardware, they would not be releasing any anytime soon.

So I suppose they have finally ruled it out. Is anyone shocked?
    09-28-16 08:05 AM

They had previously said they will bring two security updates to BB10 devices, and although they hadn't outright ruled out any future BB10 hardware, they would not be releasing any anytime soon.

Look at the official BlackBerry blog (inside BlackBerry).

Since the Facebook "api dilemma" (they said Facebook cut them off - what were lies) - they shouted out "how important" OS10 developers are to them and they will do anything they can to make OS10 competitive!

It's THEIR official blog!
    They are fooling their most loyal fans!

If there were any words about THIS roadmap - ok.
    But insisting on that OS10 and their handsets have a future is pure scam!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 08:12 AM

Since the Facebook "api dilemma" (they said Facebook cut them off) - they shouted out "how important" OS10 developers are to them and they will do anything they can to make OS10 competitive!

Posted via CB10
    And what does this have to do with new devices? I'm still not following you.
    09-28-16 08:15 AM
    And what does this have to do with new devices? I'm still not following you.
    Maybe some Alcatel/Android-Berrys will follow.
    At least the DTEK60 and a keyboard one.
    But the OS10 area is over.

Posted via CB10
    david7saad likes this.
    09-28-16 08:22 AM
    It's sad that BlackBerry didn't release an android phone with a keyboard so they never got to know if there is a niche in the Android hardware business they could fit in.

they misunderstood the lack of success with the PRIV. It didn't fail because of its keyboard, it just failed because it lacked build quality, was totally overpriced and the outdated slider design...

bottom line: I'm 10000% sure that there is a market demand for android physical keyboard phones of about 1 mio devices....

I still hope that they realize that and release a BlackBerry Mercury/Rome phone later this (fiscal) year..

09-28-16 08:23 AM
    It's sad that BlackBerry didn't release an android phone with a keyboard so they never got to know if there is a niche in the Android hardware business they could fit in.

they misunderstood the lack of success with the PRIV. It didn't fail because of its keyboard, it just failed because it lacked build quality, was totally overpriced and the outdated slider design...

bottom line: I'm 10000% sure that there is a market demand for android physical keyboard phones of about 1 mio devices....

I still hope that they realize that and release a BlackBerry Mercury/Rome phone later this (fiscal) year..

Q5
    Q10
    Classic
    Passport
    PRIV

There always is some excuse for poor sales of PKB phones (some of the warranted), but in the end... I think it's clear that it just isn't a form factor appeals to more than a very small niche. And pleasing the niche is even harder....
    09-28-16 08:27 AM

Do you believe those two security updates to BlackBerry 10 will come? Because I don't, not any more. In that sense, they lied. Plain and simple and yes, people are shocked. People don't like being lied to, generally speaking.

It was however my own mistake to believe that BBM for BlackBerry 10 would be on par with Android or iOS versions, but that is definitely not what they meant with supporting BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 08:28 AM
    Do you believe those two security updates to BlackBerry 10 will come?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I do.
    09-28-16 08:31 AM
    Y do v take the Indonesian partner to b the only one, hopefully more oems will follow.

09-28-16 08:34 AM
    Yes I do.
    Well, that is interesting. Only one way to find out...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 08:38 AM
    It's over!

Posted via CB10
    When was there a point to develop for BB10?
    09-28-16 08:51 AM
    When was there a point to develop for BB10?
    There was, but they killed itself with wrong decisions.
    Again.

Instead of pumping money into Alicia Keys as an "art director" - they should have invested in social media like: Instagram, SnapChat etc. to make it attractive.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 09:02 AM
    There was, but they killed itself with wrong decisions.
    Again.

Instead of pumping money into Alicia Keys as an "art director" - they should have invested in social media like: Instagram, SnapChat etc. to make it attractive.

Posted via CB10
    How do you "invest in social media"?

BlackBerry offered money and free support to these various developers to write apps for BB10, and they all refused. They were happy with the current 2-ecosystem world.
    09-28-16 09:15 AM
208 12345 ...