Hi friends,

Not that long ago BlackBerry claimed that they will hold on BlackBerry 10.
    The keyboard would be here to stay and such things.

But John Chen also said that he (and his team) will decide in September if they will stay in the handset business.

This is what they posted on Instagram - just a couple of days ago:

Attachment 408909

Look at the message and how fat "SOFTWARE" is pointed out.

Is it finally "over" for us?

Posted via CB10
    Oh gawd I hope so , just so I don't have to see anymore "is it finally over threads". Enjoy the negative vybe...ill be rock'n a dtek60 in no time!
    Last edited by Carjackd; 09-25-16 at 10:37 AM.
    Hazo likes this.
    09-24-16 11:47 PM
    There hav been some better secured devices for government agencies to use. Look up - secusmart tab, boeing phone, Blackphone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Secusmart is a BlackBerry subsidiary, Boeing phone was developed alongside BlackBerry.

Plus, most of the other solutions are quite expensive anyway. BlackBerry offers affordable secure phones that can be purchased in quantities, compared to some of the unrealistic prices out there. You won't see a lot of firms buying a couple of hundred blackphones. They'll never be mainstream as BlackBerry was.
    09-25-16 09:23 AM

Secusmart is a BlackBerry subsidiary, Boeing phone was developed alongside BlackBerry.

Plus, most of the other solutions are quite expensive anyway. BlackBerry offers affordable secure phones that can be purchased in quantities, compared to some of the unrealistic prices out there. You won't see a lot of firms buying a couple of hundred blackphones. They'll never be mainstream as BlackBerry was.
    Blackberry is coming up with secured Android N.
    Even if that does not work out, there is no doubt that bb will continue offering its present (& hopefully better in the future) secure software to other platforms.
    I know, this has again brought us to the classic "is Android bb as secure as bb10" question.
    Another thread is discussing it as well. And i feel it will take a few years b4 it is sorted out.
    I mentioned somewhere about Copperhead Os. That is also an option.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-25-16 09:36 AM
    Looks an awful lot like it.

Don't trust ANYTHING Confucius Chen says. He's one of those men that can lie casually, calmly and at will without feeling any remorse whatosever.
    09-25-16 09:40 AM
    Thank you for all your replies!
    Every comment was/is interesting to read.

I know that some are pi**ed because of repeating questions considering this topic.
    But BlackBerry itself sets rolling stones here, when they claim:
    "Software is the new BlackBerry".

This tells me that they hardware is the opposite.

They kept telling that they stand behind OS10.
    But they keep making it unusable on propose and then keep "wondering" (not really) why the handset business is "dead" - to fulfill the transformation to software only because hardware is not profitable.
    That's all I think to Chen's plans:

- 10.3.3 almost half year behind and 2 months after the "promised latest" August launch - still nothing on the horizon.

- BlackBerry Blend gone, no substitution.

- Facebook gone.

- WhatsApp gone.

- own hardware design gone.

- no new SDKs since forever.

- no new Android runtime since forever.

nothing that would make a BlackBerry go beyond e-mail.

And also no to: Android will be never that secure as OS10, only because Google is behind this - they still have access to everything an OS10 user doesn't want.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 02:15 PM
    I doubt it. United States government agencies and other world leaders depend on their devices. Which is probably why they don't want more for public citizen use. (Mainstream)
    What agencies use their devices?

EMM, yes. Devices, almost none.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-25-16 02:18 PM
    'Software is the new Blackberry'

What ! late, full of bugs and missing features which will be promised at a later date and not delivered ? or is that the old Blackberry - you know the one the one that relaesed software full of bugs and missing features which will be promised at a later date and not delivered and then laid of all it's software engineers.

Oh and lets not forget the failure to deliver 10.3.3 yet to their own OS that I reckon accounts for near 50% of their userbase. Or the failure to integrate BB10 fully into BBM.

For a company that is all about the software, they are certainly doing a half arsed job.
    09-26-16 02:46 AM
    Don't worry I believe they will still release devices
    Yup... like rebadged korean cars as French or American... So... in Blackberry's case...
    REBADGED CHINESE PHONES with BB content.
    09-26-16 03:41 AM

Sadly... BlackBerry will never be as mainstream as they once were....

Today, I just don't see that many "special" phones out there. Many are "getting by" with Android or mainly with Apple devcies... the security isn't in the hardware or the OS, its in the EMM that is used to manage the phone and the corporate data that is "contained" on the device.
    09-26-16 07:29 AM
    There will be much more downsizing if they are reduced to flogging a couple of mediocre Android apps and Good/BES.

They will look more like a start-up than a global corporation at that stage. I'd be dumping shares and writing off my loses, if I had any shares in BB.
    09-26-16 07:31 AM
    There will be much more downsizing if they are reduced to flogging a couple of mediocre Android apps and Good/BES.

They will look more like a start-up than a global corporation at that stage. I'd be dumping shares and writing off my loses, if I had any shares in BB.
    You're missing SecureSmart, WatchDox, mobile threat protection, AtHoc, asset tracking, IoT, etc. Along with BES/Good Dynamics, these are areas of high potential growth.

I think the company is already staffed appropriately. The BB10 team is already gone.
    Last edited by conite; 09-26-16 at 07:50 AM.
    09-26-16 07:38 AM

I am happy you don't have any shares of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Hazo likes this.
    09-26-16 08:07 AM
    You're missing SecureSmart, WatchDox, mobile threat protection, AtHoc, asset tracking, IoT, etc. Along with BES/Good Dynamics, these are areas of high potential growth.

I think the company is already staffed appropriately. The BB10 team is already gone.
    I thought revenue from SAFs (not even taking hardware into consideration) still dwarfed software.

Only very big corporates and government depts/hostpitals will be interested in those solutions. I've heard nothing but bad things about WatchDox.
    09-26-16 08:09 AM
    I thought revenue from SAFs (not even taking hardware into consideration) still dwarfed software.

Only very big corporates and government depts/hostpitals will be interested in those solutions. I've heard nothing but bad things about WatchDox.
    Not even speaking to the validity of either of your assertions, what does this have to do with the appropriateness of the current staffing levels?
    09-26-16 08:35 AM

I know that some are pi**ed because of repeating questions considering this topic.

But they keep making it unusable on propose and then keep "wondering" (not really) why the handset business is "dead" - to fulfill the transformation to software only because hardware is not profitable.

- 10.3.3 almost half year behind and 2 months after the "promised latest" August launch - still nothing on the horizon.

- Facebook gone.

- WhatsApp gone.

And also no to: Android will be never that secure as OS10, only because Google is behind this - they still have access to everything an OS10 user doesn't want.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Chen says that it is currently not as secure as BB10 but will be in 6-8 months and with respect to Android they have been hitting their dates.

Here comes dtek60
    09-26-16 01:37 PM

- Facebook gone.

- WhatsApp gone.

Posted via CB10
    Actually Chen says that it's not as secure as BB10 but will be in 6-8 months and they have been hitting their dates with Android.

On that note , here comes dtek60
    09-26-16 01:39 PM

Sadly BlackBerry is a lot like a "start-up" but without the investor support and without the new emerging market with huge growth potential... smartphone hardware is saturated, EMM market has been oversold, and seems to be giving way to more on an all in one types of suites, IoT... still just a catch phrase for BlackBerry - guess with Radar they do at least have a product... in again a very mature and saturated market that is in the US controlled by BlackBerry's friends the Carriers.

Too be honest.. very surprised that BlackBerry hasn't been bought out. Think the problem is that at this point too many investors are upside down and just won't take a loss, and no buyer wants BlackBerry enough to fight or pay what Prem wants.
    09-26-16 02:03 PM
    In a way, I'd love for it to be officially over - that way, people would stop banging on about it - it's getting boring now.

Not that I'm blaming the community, just the situation.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    09-26-16 04:01 PM
    Hope they stick with the pkb with future iterations even if it's not BB10 OS or maybe some decently skinned version of Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 06:00 PM

- Facebook gone.

- WhatsApp gone.

Posted via CB10
    You all have short memories!!! PLAYBOOK!!!!!!! The health of this company can be determined by looking at stock price and stock price history. dead since 2007.
    09-26-16 06:26 PM
    I can't read the text because for some reason I can't enlarge images or zoom in on this CB app.

Look at the image it conveys growth and rebirth. I predict BlackBerry will be announcing profitability and expansion. Focus will be on software. They have at least the DTEK 60 to release. I'm betting it's a break even or profitable handset for them.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 06:37 PM
    Sadly... BlackBerry will never be as mainstream as they once were....

Today, I just don't see that many "special" phones out there. Many are "getting by" with Android or mainly with Apple devcies... the security isn't in the hardware or the OS, its in the EMM that is used to manage the phone and the corporate data that is "contained" on the device.
    Indeed this is true. Security seized to become in hardware but became in software like the EMM. This is why I believe their move to restructure themselves as a software company is the right way to go.
    09-27-16 08:39 AM
    Indeed this is true. Security seized to become in hardware but became in software like the EMM. This is why I believe their move to restructure themselves as a software company is the right way to go.
    right way... or only way?

BlackBerry the software company is going to be a very small little company. Long term I would expect them to end up being bought out by a larger company. As I doubt BlackBerry will be able to keep up with changes to the EMM and other security solutions... they just aren't investing in the R&D it takes to grow and keep up with tech changes. Most of today's value and revenues are newly acquired.
    09-27-16 09:19 AM
    right way... or only way?

BlackBerry the software company is going to be a very small little company. Long term I would expect them to end up being bought out by a larger company. As I doubt BlackBerry will be able to keep up with changes to the EMM and other security solutions... they just aren't investing in the R&D it takes to grow and keep up with tech changes. Most of today's value and revenues are newly acquired.
    Both, the right way and the only way, its just that some delusional fans fail to see this. They want the company to continue to focus on hardware and bleed money all the way until bankruptcy.

I share your same opinion, down the road as a software company even if hardware becomes profitable, they'll be acquired by a big company. I would bet on Microsoft more than Apple because Apple is more busy with hardware while Microsoft is more about software and they're moving heavily into cloud based & enterprise solutions. Samsung is a good candidate since they're already working with BlackBerry and they've KNOX and other security offerings out there. However, I don't see the American Gov warmly embracing an acquisition by a South Korean company. China is out, no way in hell the US gov would sanction a sale for a Chinese company. Anyway, whoever buys BlackBerry gets a headstart.

Btw, Chen said this in the empire club interview:

"I would only sell the company if shareholders would get a huge reward for the bet they're putting in right now."
    09-27-16 09:29 AM
    Both, the right way and the only way, its just that some delusional fans fail to see this. They want the company to continue to focus on hardware and bleed money all the way until bankruptcy.

I share your same opinion, down the road as a software company even if hardware becomes profitable, they'll be acquired by a big company. I would bet on Microsoft more than Apple because Apple is more busy with hardware while Microsoft is more about software and they're moving heavily into cloud based & enterprise solutions. Samsung is a good candidate since they're already working with BlackBerry and they've KNOX and other security offerings out there. However, I don't see the American Gov warmly embracing an acquisition by a South Korean company. China is out, no way in hell the US gov would sanction a sale for a Chinese company. Anyway, whoever buys BlackBerry gets a headstart.
    1) American gov has no say in BlackBerry's sale, and very little exposure at this point...
    2) Canadian gov probable would not block anything at this point, if they did... how hard would it be to move out of some rented offices?
    3) BlackBerry's working with Samsung and Google has been way over stated. KNOX was tweaked to allow BES to work with it, so that Samsung hardware could replace BlackBerry hardware and BES could be left in place... for now.
    4) I don't really see a great fit for BlackBerry for any one tech company... doubt anyone really wants all of BlackBerry, or that they want to pay the overall price to get one division and be bothered will selling off the parts they don't want. So maybe an agreement beforehand....
    But on selling
    "I would only sell the company if shareholders would get a huge reward for the bet they're putting in right now." -JC
    — The Empire Club (@Empire_Club) September 26, 2016
    A little different from his comments last year when it seemed like he would only sell if he could get value for Prem and other investors that were well under water. I expect there have been some "talks" at this point... And top of my list would be TCL...
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    09-27-16 09:54 AM
208 1234 ...