Hi friends,

Not that long ago BlackBerry claimed that they will hold on BlackBerry 10.
    The keyboard would be here to stay and such things.

But John Chen also said that he (and his team) will decide in September if they will stay in the handset business.

This is what they posted on Instagram - just a couple of days ago:

Is it 'finally' over?-img_20160924_111344_edit.png

Look at the message and how fat "SOFTWARE" is pointed out.

Is it finally "over" for us?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 04:19 AM
    I think they'll continue partnering with TCL for their upcoming devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-16 04:33 AM
    Don't worry I believe they will still release devices
    09-24-16 05:15 AM
    Let's wait until next Wednesday.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 05:43 AM
    Making money on software losing on hardware what would you do ?
    Bfalcon1, bakron1 and Kot Prada like this.
    09-24-16 06:16 AM
    I doubt it. United States government agencies and other world leaders depend on their devices. Which is probably why they don't want more for public citizen use. (Mainstream)
    GWooster likes this.
    09-24-16 07:44 AM
    There hav been some better secured devices for government agencies to use. Look up - secusmart tab, boeing phone, Blackphone.

09-24-16 08:19 AM
    The emphasis has been on software since Chen took over, so nothing really shocks me about this.

They have remained consistent in their assertions that phones are essential to their end-to-end security offerings, so while they may no longer be making phones "in house", I am confident they will continue to take advantage of their relationships with Foxconn and TCL to sell BlackBerry-branded handsets.

They just barely released the PRIV in Korea and they haven't sold phones there in years, so why would they bother if they intended to shut down their handset business?

What they really need to do is get carriers on board to sell their phones again, especially in the United States. I'm sure they are working on it, but it's going to take time.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-24-16 09:16 AM
    There hav been some better secured devices for government agencies to use. Look up - secusmart tab, boeing phone, Blackphone.

But do they have pkb?
    09-24-16 10:06 AM
    But do they have pkb?
    What is their pricepoint?

09-24-16 10:15 AM
    BlackBerry is a partner on the Boeing Black.
    09-24-16 10:25 AM
    What is their pricepoint?

Well, i was replying in the context of government orders. Most of these r for government agencies. And thus the price does not matter, in the sense that they are ordered in fleets.
    Afa pkb is concerned, no non of them hav pkb. But again, the government does not care for the personal preferences of a few individuals when ordering a fleet of secure devices, security at any cost is the agenda.
    There do exist a few other devices including the Blackphone 2, turing phone which can b bought by the general public.
    These usually hav the price tag of 'flagship' devices.
    None have a pkb.

09-24-16 10:32 AM
    A pkb secure phone may b available later on. Look up turing phone monolith. I just hope its not a joke

Edit: GranitePhone SIKUR is for 850us$. Also there is cryptophone.
    Using a Bluetooth kbd is one option.
    Waiting for bb Mercury is the best option.

09-24-16 10:38 AM
    I think they have already told us over and over again what they will do. I don't understand why people are still debating it.

See C0019C5BB.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    09-24-16 10:43 AM
    I think they have already told us over and over again what they will do. I don't understand why people are still debating it.

See C0019C5BB.

Because they just can't overcome the thought of being seperated from blackberry 10. Continuing talking about it helps many.

Last edited by blackmass; 09-24-16 at 11:04 AM.
    GWooster likes this.
    09-24-16 10:50 AM
    ...therapy. ☺

09-24-16 10:52 AM
    BlackBerry is a partner on the Boeing Black.
    And BlackBerry owns secusmart.

09-24-16 10:54 AM
    And BlackBerry owns secusmart.

There r no 2 opinions about blackberry being a frontrunner in the mobile security arena.
    Had they correctly foreseen the future in 2006, there is a chance that we wud not even b discussing this today.

GWooster likes this.
    09-24-16 11:08 AM
    09-24-16 11:15 AM
    But do they have pkb?
    I searched for the cryptophone & u may like to hav this if u hav an urgent requirement -

http://www.cryptophone.de/en/products/mobile/cp450/

09-24-16 11:33 AM
    BlackBerry has the best integrated all around secured system with recent acquisitions and their ties to governments, I don't see an exit from hardware. Like many cell phone 'manufacturers' they don't actually manufacture them. So you can't really close what's not open.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 12:01 PM
    I was following their all official channels since weeks. I noticed that since two weeks they repeated posting the photo that says "software is the new BlackBerry" many times. It is now the last photo on their Facebook page. They didn't advertise any thing about any phone, even the Dtek50. Going to the company page and you will see this photo is the first again. They put the smartphones selection at the end of list. I guess a decision has been taken about the fate of hardware in the last few days.
    Even if they will release phones with TCL, why are they hiding all phones news and hyping only about software?.
    I feel the end is very close.
    Wednesday will tell!

Jayasheelan and StephanieMaks like this.
    09-24-16 01:35 PM
    Don't think that they will exit the hardware market in terms of no longer releasing physical hardware. They will become a software company, but will use the TCL reference designs to showcase their secure smart software on Android.

So basically the same as Google (originally a software company) has done with the Nexus devices.

I do believe BlackBerry 10 will only continue to exists for existing government and corporate clients. BlackBerry in-house hardware design will no longer exist. The PRIV is the last one

09-24-16 05:10 PM
    The emphasis has been on software since Chen took over, so nothing really shocks me about this.

They have remained consistent in their assertions that phones are essential to their end-to-end security offerings, so while they may no longer be making phones "in house", I am confident they will continue to take advantage of their relationships with Foxconn and TCL to sell BlackBerry-branded handsets.

They just barely released the PRIV in Korea and they haven't sold phones there in years, so why would they bother if they intended to shut down their handset business?

What they really need to do is get carriers on board to sell their phones again, especially in the United States. I'm sure they are working on it, but it's going to take time.

Yup, it's pretty straightforward. BlackBerry needs and can make money from an end-to-end solution. That includes phones and I don't think anything has changed. The DTEK50 and presumably the DTEK60 are well priced and can deliver what businesses and security conscious consumers need. There is certainly a market and all they need to do is price things correctly. For the first time in a while I think BlackBerry is on the right path. The days of 1000 dollar flagship phones are over. Personally, I set a limit of 400 dollars and see what I can get. A PKB would be nice but I suspect it will have to be an Android soon enough. To bad for BB10.

I suspect big things from BlackBerry this week. the death watch days are over and I cash is coming in the door. It will be interesting to see how they deploy it.

Posted via CB10
    GWooster and Kot Prada like this.
    09-24-16 06:01 PM
    No.
    09-24-16 11:46 PM
208 123 ...