Ok my bad, it seems you can no longer change to MSP through online BIS, but now you have to do it through the Advanced options in "Email Settings" on the phone. I will change the first post to reflect this.

EDIT: Strangely, it seems that if you DON'T use MSP, and stick with the standard 'pull' email service that BB automatically sets up, then all messages sent from your phone under that hotmail address are flagged by hotmail itself as "spoof" emails.

For example, if you have a hotmail address called [email protected] and you're using 'pull' email from hotmail, and you send an email to your friend [email protected] from your phone, when he opens it, its content will be blocked and labeled "dangerous." Only when he clicks the button to unblock the content will the email display.

Strange that Hotmail's system flags ITS OWN messages as dangerous when they're sent via a blackberry phone through the standard BB setup procedure.

It seems clear that hotmail is the LEAST blackberry-compatible of all the major email providers. For this reason, I recommend people use Yahoo, Gmail, or pretty much anything else if synchronization with their BB is important to them.
    Last edited by Furballz; 05-27-10 at 04:57 PM.
    05-27-10 04:43 PM
    I am in the process of abandoning hotmail for Gmail myself, I have one account that was set for MSP, I cant get any others to either. Microsoft has ceased the availability.
    Seriously, it want avail, then you had to pay for it, then it was gone again, then it was and free, now its gone again....what a pile of crud. stupid Microsoft.
    05-27-10 11:56 PM
    Gmail often takes 20, 30 minutes or more to get to my BB, so that's not an option for me.

Is there anyone to whom we can write or whom we can call to complain about this change?
    05-28-10 01:22 AM
    I'm so glad that i'm not the only one facing unable to change mobile protocol on my side, I've notice since may 2010, i no longer have that function anymore.

How to resolve this issue? On the first page, it says go to email settings from the phone and click edit, but there's no advance option for me too. How to go about making the changes?
    05-29-10 12:05 AM
    I'm so glad that i'm not the only one facing unable to change mobile protocol on my side, I've notice since may 2010, i no longer have that function anymore.

How to resolve this issue? On the first page, it says go to email settings from the phone and click edit, but there's no advance option for me too. How to go about making the changes?
    What works for me on my Tour is to delete the email account from within BIS. Then create it again from within BIS. Then go to the phone and go into into Email Settings. Log into the phone BIS with username and password (if you don't have this then read the first post in this thread to find out how to set it up). Then highlight the hotmail email you want to convert to MSP and click the menu key, then select Edit. At the top will be General Options. Scroll all the way down and you should see Advanced Options. Expand that menu and select change protocol.

Again, this is on my Tour, your phone may differ.
    05-29-10 12:12 AM
    ok i just did as you said. under general options, right at the bottom, theres no advanced options. only this synchronize deleted items checkbox.
    05-29-10 12:37 AM
    Dunno, man, dunno. You're doing this on your phone and not online? Dunno.
    05-30-10 06:07 PM
    I got a message saying i have to update to re-register my hotmail for the push service, it seems confusing, do they have a number to call?
    05-30-10 09:49 PM
    Dunno, man, dunno. You're doing this on your phone and not online? Dunno.
    I tried doing this both of phone and online. Both seem no diff. This feature like no longer there already.
    05-31-10 08:58 AM
    When I click on "Change Protocol" in my advanced settings, I keep getting this message: "Your device encountered a problem with this application's server. Select OK and repeat the action to try again." Every time I try to redo it, I get the same message.

This is incredibly frustrating. I'm OK with a few minute delay, but I always get my Hotmail in HUGE bunches. Like 10-20 messages at a time, usually 5-10 hours after they were originally sent. Anyone help me out here? TIA!
    06-07-10 05:02 PM
    When I click on "Change Protocol" in my advanced settings, I keep getting this message: "Your device encountered a problem with this application's server. Select OK and repeat the action to try again." Every time I try to redo it, I get the same message.

This is incredibly frustrating. I'm OK with a few minute delay, but I always get my Hotmail in HUGE bunches. Like 10-20 messages at a time, usually 5-10 hours after they were originally sent. Anyone help me out here? TIA!
    Just got a replacement device and I am having the same problem also if I send myself a email the computer says the message could be dangerous and nt to open it but I do and its fine but it NEVER gets pushed to my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 08:36 AM
    This post was in another thread and credit goes to jackmanc for digging deep into the issue. Having the same issues myself on the Telus Mobility network after a switch from the Tour 9630 to the Bold 9700. Hopefully we can use this info to help find a solution:

jackmacn
    CrackBerry Newbie
    Device Model: 9630 (Tour)
    Carrier: Verizon

Hotmail Blackberry Sync no longer working for Verizon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same issue for me.... I just wrote this up and posted a few places.....

I have a Hotmail account (premium one where I pay yearly) and have synced to my Blackberry on Verizon flawlessly for a very long time. This week it stopped working and after hours of tech support calls with Blackberry and Verizon, I have learned why and I am not happy about it.

How it used to work:
    Prior to this week, I had a Blackberry Tour on Verizon. I set up my Hotmail account via the BIS website and Hotmail messages automatically started arriving on my device. New messages would arrive instantly. If I marked a message as read on the device, it would be marked as read in Hotmail on the web (and also in Outlook 2007 configured via HTTP). If I deleted a message on the device, it would be deleted on the web. Worked great, loved it.... until this week.

What happened this week:
    I got a new Verizon Bold 9650. I wanted to avoid any device change issues, so I decided to delete my Hotmail BIS account prior to changing from the Tour to the Bold (I later learned this was a BIG mistake). I figured I would simply add the Hotmail BIS account back and it would work the way it had for over year. Not so. When I added the Hotmail BIS account back, Verizon behind the scenes configured it as PoP with the server of pop3.live.com. When this was done, Hotmail is now treated as a PoP account on my device. This DRASTICALLY changes the way things sync (or I should say, DON'T sync). Messages no longer come instantly, they come every 15+ minutes. When you read it on the device it no longer is marked as read online which means that you have to go through all of your messages again when at a PC. The ONLY thing that still works is if I delete on the device, it will delete on the web IF AND ONLY IF you have clicked the synchronize button on the BIS setup page (either on the device or online).

Why Syncing has changed:
    I have learned that Verizon has changed the way they configure new Hotmail setups. In the past, when a user added a Hotmail account to a Blackberry device on Verizon it would be set up as MSNMSP. This allowed for syncing from the device to the Hotmail account. It treated it like an IMAP account even though Hotmail isn't IMAP. However it was configured behind the scenes it worked great. If I HADN'T deleted my Hotmail BIS account, it still would have worked. I would have simply changed the device in the BIS and it would have kept the server configurations behind the scenes at Verizon. Since I deleted the BIS and added it from scratch, it takes on the current behind the scene configurations which are PoP (specifically pop3.live.com). Verizon tier 2 Tech Support "could" add the old configuration back (specifically a different server address) if I could find what it was (at least the tech I talked to THINKS manually adding the old server would fix this). You could also add it manually with the steps below (again, if the old server address can be found). They can't look up what my behind the scene settings used to be. Blackberry can't either... tried that with 3 different Tech Support people. I still have my Tour in hand (which had been set up fine); however, the settings required are not on the device... they are (or I should say were) only in Verizon and Blackberry.

Why they changed it:
    Verizon was getting slammed with revalidation of accounts every 90 days. According to Verizon, every 90 days users would have to log back into their BIS and revalidate the password. Most people didn't know how to do this so they would call Verizon support and it would tie up their lines. I personally was never forced to do this, but that could be because my Tour trackball was AWEFUL and just about every 2 months I would force Verizon to give me a new phone because the trackball would stop working, so by default I was revalidating when I got the new phone. Luckily, I never deleted the BIS during this timeframe else I would have lost the functionality long ago. There is a BB knowledgebase article that describes how some carriers are moving away from MSNMSP and moving to PoP3 for hotmail. The Blackberry KB # is 19272. I can't link it because I don't have enough posts to this forum.

How to fix it:
    From what I am gathering, the only way to fix it is to get the old email server address and have it entered by Verizon Tech Support (or yourself with the steps below...). If there is anyone out there that has a Hotmail account that is still working properly on your Blackberry, you can find this info by calling Verizon Tech Support and asking them what the email server is for your email account. You may be able to find it on your BIS account online if you still have an "advanced options" tab after you click "edit" on your hotmail account. Since setting up my hotmail account, I no longer see this as an option (or maybe it was never there to begin with).

Adding the server address (other than pop3.live.com) yourself?:
    You can force the BIS entry process into giving you the options to enter the email server address.
    1) Log into your BIS
    2) Click on setup email
    3) Click Add an existing email account
    4) At the email address box, you need to enter something that BIS/Verizon will not be able to resolve automatically. This is the only way to force open the advanced options screen. I tried "xxx @ ppp.com" (don't include spaces) and put in random characters into the password field. Click OK and after a few seconds Verizon/BIS will present you with a screen to manually enter all of the account settings. It is here you will enter your real Hotmail address, password, email server (IF SOMEONE CAN FIND THE RIGHT ONE TO USE), and username (which is the same as your email address).
    5) Pray the above works to get this functionality back.

Final thoughts:
    Rather than changing the revalidation timeframe, or just dealing with it, Verizon decided to cut off this critical functionality for their users (BAD MOVE VERIZON!). Hopefully there are enough Hotmail users out there that will call Verizon and try to get them to go back to MSNMSP.

I am sure there will be some users that will offer some helpful workarounds other than the above (such as Izymail, forwarding to GMail, etc). I have looked at all of them, and while they are better than nothing, they do not work as well as the functionality that was just ripped away.
    06-18-10 01:18 AM
    Does the above work for non Verizon users? Like other carriers? And with this steps, does it make hotmail mails come instantly?
    06-18-10 05:38 AM
    Above is an example of why I have slowly been changing my primary email from hotmail to gmail. Gmail is awesome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 07:42 AM
    Not for me it isn't.
    06-18-10 03:19 PM
    wow, thanks for the great write up! i'm on AT&T, and it's exactly the same way. my newer hotmail live account was working perfectly up until a couple months ago. everything was pushed instantly until i noticed i wasn't receiving e-mails at all, and the few i was receiving were either instant or like 7 or 8 hours after the fact. i decided to remove the address and re-vaildate it on my BIS page and noticed the protocol option was gone... but, at least i'm getting ALL my e-mails now! i'm just not a fan of gmail, so i'll stick with pop access for now.
    06-24-10 01:19 PM
    I have made the switch however as of today if I read and deleat on my desktop it does not do the same on my blackberry and same way if I read on blackberry and delete it does not do it on desktop????

Please someone help me out.
    07-02-10 11:32 AM
    This is a deal-breaker for me. I made the mistake of removing my perfectly-working Hotmail account from my BIS setup while helping a friend troubleshoot an issue, and now all I get is POP3. With Microsoft's announcement of Activesync functionality coming soon to Hotmail, that'll leave Blackberry as the only platform with no 2-way sync capability for Hotmail users. I'd be willing to switch to my gmail as my primary if I had a reasonable method for forwarding my Hotmail account. MSFT doesn't allow any forwarding outside of their own domains, though, and the other solutions just don't work well. I've emailed the Crackberry staff to try and get comments from RIM, MSFT, or the carriers, but I didn't get a response. This is driving me nuts. My shiny 9700 may be going back in the box soon...
    Last edited by bassoprofundo; 07-08-10 at 02:15 AM.
    07-08-10 02:10 AM
    Why this quandary was not posted on the home page of Crackberry.com is disappointing. Neither RIM or Hotmail can truly afford to be bleeding more customers. Especially by an overt, self-inflicted wound, like this seems. Why there is no Hotmail plugin or Yahoo plugin, like the Gmail one, is puzzling. I only use Hotmail for my personal mail, but have gotten spoiled by the push delivery. I wonder if Droid or IPhone has the same problem with Hotmail? If RIM and/or Hotmail doesn't get their head out of their posterior soon, I will definitely be forced to jump ship of one or both.
    07-18-10 12:46 PM
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly why this change occurred?
    07-18-10 10:09 PM
    Mine is working now.
    07-19-10 02:44 AM
    I'm still on MSP but have noticed since May the emails now seem to be delayed by hours for delivery. Also, it looks like if I read them on the computer, they won't forward to the BlackBerry. Anyone still on MSP noticing this as well? It'll maybe work for a few minutes once in a while then break again and it'll be hours.
    07-19-10 11:36 AM
    I have had no luck at all with any of the tutorials on this site. I still can't delete emails on the web from my blackberry. I have the latest OS and everything, followed all the steps, and yet no luck deleting emails on the web. And I just got this phone last Monday, might be taking it back soon. I have 22 days left. We'll see.
    07-19-10 11:34 PM
    This post was in another thread and credit goes to jackmanc for digging deep into the issue. Having the same issues myself on the Telus Mobility network after a switch from the Tour 9630 to the Bold 9700. Hopefully we can use this info to help find a solution:

jackmacn
    CrackBerry Newbie
    Device Model: 9630 (Tour)
    Carrier: Verizon

Hotmail Blackberry Sync no longer working for Verizon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same issue for me.... I just wrote this up and posted a few places.....

I have a Hotmail account (premium one where I pay yearly) and have synced to my Blackberry on Verizon flawlessly for a very long time. This week it stopped working and after hours of tech support calls with Blackberry and Verizon, I have learned why and I am not happy about it.

How it used to work:
    Prior to this week, I had a Blackberry Tour on Verizon. I set up my Hotmail account via the BIS website and Hotmail messages automatically started arriving on my device. New messages would arrive instantly. If I marked a message as read on the device, it would be marked as read in Hotmail on the web (and also in Outlook 2007 configured via HTTP). If I deleted a message on the device, it would be deleted on the web. Worked great, loved it.... until this week.

What happened this week:
    I got a new Verizon Bold 9650. I wanted to avoid any device change issues, so I decided to delete my Hotmail BIS account prior to changing from the Tour to the Bold (I later learned this was a BIG mistake). I figured I would simply add the Hotmail BIS account back and it would work the way it had for over year. Not so. When I added the Hotmail BIS account back, Verizon behind the scenes configured it as PoP with the server of pop3.live.com. When this was done, Hotmail is now treated as a PoP account on my device. This DRASTICALLY changes the way things sync (or I should say, DON'T sync). Messages no longer come instantly, they come every 15+ minutes. When you read it on the device it no longer is marked as read online which means that you have to go through all of your messages again when at a PC. The ONLY thing that still works is if I delete on the device, it will delete on the web IF AND ONLY IF you have clicked the synchronize button on the BIS setup page (either on the device or online).

Why Syncing has changed:
    I have learned that Verizon has changed the way they configure new Hotmail setups. In the past, when a user added a Hotmail account to a Blackberry device on Verizon it would be set up as MSNMSP. This allowed for syncing from the device to the Hotmail account. It treated it like an IMAP account even though Hotmail isn't IMAP. However it was configured behind the scenes it worked great. If I HADN'T deleted my Hotmail BIS account, it still would have worked. I would have simply changed the device in the BIS and it would have kept the server configurations behind the scenes at Verizon. Since I deleted the BIS and added it from scratch, it takes on the current behind the scene configurations which are PoP (specifically pop3.live.com). Verizon tier 2 Tech Support "could" add the old configuration back (specifically a different server address) if I could find what it was (at least the tech I talked to THINKS manually adding the old server would fix this). You could also add it manually with the steps below (again, if the old server address can be found). They can't look up what my behind the scene settings used to be. Blackberry can't either... tried that with 3 different Tech Support people. I still have my Tour in hand (which had been set up fine); however, the settings required are not on the device... they are (or I should say were) only in Verizon and Blackberry.

Why they changed it:
    Verizon was getting slammed with revalidation of accounts every 90 days. According to Verizon, every 90 days users would have to log back into their BIS and revalidate the password. Most people didn't know how to do this so they would call Verizon support and it would tie up their lines. I personally was never forced to do this, but that could be because my Tour trackball was AWEFUL and just about every 2 months I would force Verizon to give me a new phone because the trackball would stop working, so by default I was revalidating when I got the new phone. Luckily, I never deleted the BIS during this timeframe else I would have lost the functionality long ago. There is a BB knowledgebase article that describes how some carriers are moving away from MSNMSP and moving to PoP3 for hotmail. The Blackberry KB # is 19272. I can't link it because I don't have enough posts to this forum.

How to fix it:
    From what I am gathering, the only way to fix it is to get the old email server address and have it entered by Verizon Tech Support (or yourself with the steps below...). If there is anyone out there that has a Hotmail account that is still working properly on your Blackberry, you can find this info by calling Verizon Tech Support and asking them what the email server is for your email account. You may be able to find it on your BIS account online if you still have an "advanced options" tab after you click "edit" on your hotmail account. Since setting up my hotmail account, I no longer see this as an option (or maybe it was never there to begin with).

Adding the server address (other than pop3.live.com) yourself?:
    You can force the BIS entry process into giving you the options to enter the email server address.
    1) Log into your BIS
    2) Click on setup email
    3) Click Add an existing email account
    4) At the email address box, you need to enter something that BIS/Verizon will not be able to resolve automatically. This is the only way to force open the advanced options screen. I tried "xxx @ ppp.com" (don't include spaces) and put in random characters into the password field. Click OK and after a few seconds Verizon/BIS will present you with a screen to manually enter all of the account settings. It is here you will enter your real Hotmail address, password, email server (IF SOMEONE CAN FIND THE RIGHT ONE TO USE), and username (which is the same as your email address).
    5) Pray the above works to get this functionality back.

Final thoughts:
    Rather than changing the revalidation timeframe, or just dealing with it, Verizon decided to cut off this critical functionality for their users (BAD MOVE VERIZON!). Hopefully there are enough Hotmail users out there that will call Verizon and try to get them to go back to MSNMSP.

I am sure there will be some users that will offer some helpful workarounds other than the above (such as Izymail, forwarding to GMail, etc). I have looked at all of them, and while they are better than nothing, they do not work as well as the functionality that was just ripped away.

I don't know if the trying the advice concerning Hotmail, and jumping on their new software, ahead of time will work, but it is worth a shot.
    07-21-10 01:09 PM
    Why they changed it:
    I don't buy that Verizon has enough clout to direct BIS changes like that. I know people on Bell, Rogers and TELUS all having similar issues so it's affecting them as well and to have 1 carrier force changes like that isn't realistic.

Also, with the last BIS upgrade of 2.8, that should have helped with Verizon's concern about call generation, because it started to default the protocol to POP3. However, the option to convert was still available and really only those looking for it would know about.

Now, with BIS 3.0 they seem to have even removed the option to convert. It was around the same time though, which was maybe sometime in May, that people started noticing delays and emails no longer arriving instantly. I've even noticed read emails won't come to the handset anymore either.

I tried the suggestion of trying to manually enter the MSNMSP server address, but that has not worked so far. I tried looking up KB19272 but didn't find anything. Unless it's in reference to the issue about receiving emails while logged into MSN on the computer.

If so, the fix for that is to just put your status to Away or Busy. After a bunch of testing, that's what I determined. I assume they figure if you see the email at the computer you didn't need it right away on the BlackBerry. Later on if a new email came in, it would push the old out with it.

What I'm noticing now is read emails on the computer never make it to the handset now. So something has changed for the worse and not too sure how the best way to get it fixed is.

Calling into Level 1 support, they're going to try things like removing and readding your address which will pull you off MSNMSP and with no way to get you back, not sure if this is the best way.

Around the same time, Hotmail has begun rolling out it's Wave 4 changes, but they've run into snags and only 1% has been converted. So this leads me to believe it's more of a RIM issue than WLS one. Or it could be both.
    07-21-10 05:27 PM
157 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD