Just an FYI as well - if you are like me and got a Hotmail account waaaaaay back in 1999 ish when it first started? You don't need to jump through these hoops. Hotmail accounts from that time frame have always been push capable without any tweaking. Keep that in mind before tinkering in case you screw it up.
    01-20-10 08:27 PM
    Just an FYI as well - if you are like me and got a Hotmail account waaaaaay back in 1999 ish when it first started? You don't need to jump through these hoops. Hotmail accounts from that time frame have always been push capable without any tweaking. Keep that in mind before tinkering in case you screw it up.
    I'm not sure how that could be true, since it's RIM's servers that poll the hotmail account with POP by default. You change to MSP from within BIS, not from within Hotmail. That is to say, it's not Hotmail that's determining whether to push, it's RIM. All Hotmail accounts are "push capable," it's just that BIS defaults to POP when setting them up. Why RIM doesn't default to MSP on setup is beyond me.

Please explain how your statement can be true, technologically. The only thing I can think of would be that, for some reason, old Hotmail accounts use IMAP and the BB picks up on this when the email account is set up. My Hotmail accounts are from 2001 and I had to set them up via the way described in this thread.
    Last edited by Furballz; 01-21-10 at 04:05 AM.
    01-21-10 03:44 AM
    Guys!
    I am still experiencing the 15 minute delay on my e-mail.
    Is there anything I can do besides what is being said on this thread, because I've done everything for about a 10 times now.
    Deleted my e-mail, set it up again. Changed the protocol. Did everything!
    I used to get hotmail within seconds (less than 10), now I have to wait 15 minutes.
    I have my hotmail set up with Outlook, if that matters.
    I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 (running the latest version of 4.6).
    My phone provider is O2.

I just want to know what the problem is! Is it my fault, or the provider's fault, or Microsoft's fault?

I've been at this issue for about 6 months now (that's when it started).

Please help!!
    02-16-10 09:03 PM
    Just no option like that.
    02-16-10 11:17 PM
    Blackberry techs say that it is a 20 minute push, which drops to 1 minute AFTER an email comes in. And it will slowly go back up to 15 minutes then all the way to 20 after no emails found for a period of time.
    02-16-10 11:19 PM
    I'm on Bell Mobility, in Canada, and I don't see this option. I was just curious about this option because I never had any problem with push emails from Hotmail, they've always been pushed to my Berry.

The only thing I have to do to keep them pushed is to reactivate my hotmail account every 90 days using the login form after an email from BlackBerry warns me a few days before the push service stops.

Edit : I just did a quick test. I've sent an email from my GMail account to my Hotmail one. My Berry received it about 10 seconds after it's been sent! I didn't get any email on my Hotmail account today, so the 15 minutes rule doesn't seem to apply here.
    Last edited by Artwerks; 02-16-10 at 11:31 PM.
    02-16-10 11:26 PM
    For anyone experiencing a slow push service, it's easy.

Forgive any typing errors, I am hammered and going so slow now.

Use a BB email address, [email protected]

Now go to each email provider you have and forward to that address. The thing is, RIM takes a long time to poll each server as they have hundreds of thousands or more to do all the time. If you forward then the moment you get them email it is sent to the BB account and pushed to your phone instantly.

Man, I made it with no mistakes, woo hoo!!!
    02-16-10 11:31 PM
    I'm not sure how that could be true, since it's RIM's servers that poll the hotmail account with POP by default. You change to MSP from within BIS, not from within Hotmail. That is to say, it's not Hotmail that's determining whether to push, it's RIM. All Hotmail accounts are "push capable," it's just that BIS defaults to POP when setting them up. Why RIM doesn't default to MSP on setup is beyond me.

Please explain how your statement can be true, technologically. The only thing I can think of would be that, for some reason, old Hotmail accounts use IMAP and the BB picks up on this when the email account is set up. My Hotmail accounts are from 2001 and I had to set them up via the way described in this thread.
    I don't know the technicalities, I learned it when I was setting up my Berry and following the info on THIS site. You'd have to search the forum which is how I learned it. I just remember reading that original Hotmails used different settings than more modern ones. Mine is instapushed right from the get go without any tweaking like in this thread. My fiance is the same. My mothers modern hotmail account from within the two years needed the tweaking as did a couple of co workers when they got their berries. So, with two different accounts working right off the bat that's my proof right there.
    02-17-10 06:48 PM
    i am wondering if u can help me i hav jus got a storm 2 and i am trying to set up my email but wen i do i get a message saying something about change ur email client settings to leave your email messages on the serveri dont no how to do this im with hotmail please help
    02-22-10 04:47 PM
    Ever since doing this I am having to validate the email at least once a day, I am reciecing this message: You are no longer receiving messages from your hotmail email, please verify your account, WTF! I may have to delete and re- add, as I had no issues the way it was set up before. Anyone else having the same problem??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 06:41 AM
    I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else.
    03-01-10 01:39 PM
    great post, thanks
    03-02-10 06:25 PM
    I have also heard about the older hotmail accounts being different. I have an old one and my wife has a newer one. I was not able to setup her msn email address to her blackberry a while back unless I upgraded to the $20 a year premium service. They recently changed this and now all email accounts can be added to a blackberry. I only recently added my hotmail to a BB so I am not sure if it is working differently. Mine does seem to come pretty fast to my BB but online my read messages are not shown as read, I think I should make this change for that feature.
    03-10-10 10:12 AM
    doing this, will me hotmail or blackberry have any set backs or something like that?
    03-15-10 12:16 PM
    Thanks OP! Now it saves sent emails, displays my name correctly, and here is the most important thing: emails are no longer considered "dangerous" by hotmail!

Previously, when you use POP3 or whatever, when you send a hotmail email from your BB to other hotmail users this is what happens (when they check from their PC):

1) They see a warning sign that says "This email may be dangerous and has been blocked for your safety".
    2) You need to press "Open Message" to see the email's content
    3) Your name (in the inbox and the email) is not displayed correctly, it just displays your full hotmail email address (this is changable in the BIS control panel but most people are too n00b to change this

Anyway, all those problems are long gone with the MSP.

Sticky this thread, put it in the How To, do something because thread this should not have to be searched for!
    04-15-10 12:35 PM
    Has anyone been experiencing problems with their Hotmail Emails pushing to their Blackberrys lately? The last week or two it's taking 15 to 20 minutes or more for me to get most of my Emails, when before, it took nary a few seconds.Strangely, this happened right after my laptop crashed and I began using my dad's borrowed laptop (with a different wireless setup) to get things done.
    04-15-10 12:40 PM
    This is great...i needed to come across something like this...

im getting my e-mail alittle after i get them in the actual e-mail prob say about 2-3 mins
    04-15-10 01:40 PM
    I performed the steps on this for my tour, and now, when I delete an item from my hotmail account via the BB, it does not delete it from my hotmail account. However, it does delete for my live.com account. Any suggestions?
    05-03-10 05:18 PM
    Thanks to the OP for this thread. I was able to change the connection protocol directly from my device, I did not have to log into my provider's BIS. It works great.
    05-04-10 07:26 AM
    I still can't get the "change protocol" option. I've deleted the account on the online BIS, and then re-added it many times, but still nothing. Thanks for any help.
    05-27-10 04:04 PM
    I still can't get the "change protocol" option. I've deleted the account on the online BIS, and then re-added it many times, but still nothing. Thanks for any help.
    Yes for some reason Microsoft (or RIM) has discontinued this. I'm finding my hotmail emails now come in many minutes, sometimes hours, after they hit the hotmail account. Very strange.
    Last edited by Furballz; 05-27-10 at 04:26 PM.
    05-27-10 04:07 PM
    Yes for some reason Microsoft has discontinued this. I'm finding my hotmail emails now come in many minutes, sometimes hours, after they hit the hotmail account. Very strange.
    And therefore nothing that can be done about it, I assume? Thanks for the help.
    05-27-10 04:13 PM
    And therefore nothing that can be done about it, I assume? Thanks for the help.
    I'm looking into it, but it appears that nothing can be done. I've put a note on the first post in this thread, thanks for letting us know about it.

Lately, the "push" service from Hotmail has been extremely bad anyway. It takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 6 HOURS for mail to come through. Therefore I would recommend people use standard "pull" service through Hotmail at this time. That way, the longest it should take will be 15 minutes.

Sucks
    05-27-10 04:23 PM
    Therefore I would recommend people use standard "pull" service through Hotmail at this time.
    What's the standard pull service? Are there some settings that I should "reverse" - I just followed the instructions in the first post. Thanks again.
    5 mins is not a big deal, but 6 hours could be disasterous!
    05-27-10 04:27 PM
    What's the standard pull service? Are there some settings that I should "reverse" - I just followed the instructions in the first post. Thanks again.
    5 mins is not a big deal, but 6 hours could be disasterous!
    When you added your hotmail account to your phone it set it up for "pull" service. Since it appears that cannot be changed now, there's nothing you have to redo. BIS should poll Hotmail servers once every 15 minutes or so and if it finds new mail it will forward it to your phone.

A few months ago it was fantastic. Hotmail would notify BIS of new emails within a few seconds of getting them. For some reason that's no longer available. Possibly because MS is revamping Hotmail at this time. Perhaps in the future it will be available again.
    05-27-10 04:30 PM
157 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD