You should have your email client set to leave messages on the server after being opened on the PC by the client. That will ensure that despite the message having been read on the PC, it will still get pushed to the BB.
    A ha! Was waiting for this one. The old "leave messages on the server" issue.
    I suppose you don't actually have Microsoft Outlook, and don't use a hotmail account, therefore don't have Microsoft Outlook Connector! Because if you did, you would know that the "leave messages on server" setting is nowhere do be found! I have looked through Outlook many times, and cannot find it!

In addition to that... does the "Protocol" synchronize the read/unread status of e-mails, or just pushes them quickly and is able to delete them?
    11-19-09 05:19 AM
    This is great help! Thank you.
    11-19-09 11:07 AM
    Actually, the old just came back recently... If you haven't done so, you need to change your outlook email setting. The hotmail now uses pop3 instead of http. Check this out:

//I'm not allowed to post link yet. You can do a google anyway...

I suppose you don't actually have Microsoft Outlook, and don't use a hotmail account, therefore don't have Microsoft Outlook Connector! Because if you did, you would know that the "leave messages on server" setting is nowhere do be found! I have looked through Outlook many times, and cannot find it!

In addition to that... does the "Protocol" synchronize the read/unread status of e-mails, or just pushes them quickly and is able to delete them?
    11-19-09 11:16 AM
    Many thanks for the helpful information here.
    I have followed the instructions, created username from device, successfully verified passowrds for the existing emails. then went to desktop bis login and clicked on "Set up account"
    and tried with my hotmail id and password,
    but it says
    "Invalid email address or password:
    Please verify your email address and password. The information you provided is incorrect.If error persists contact hotmail.com (your service provider)"

Now before creating BIS login I had tried this along with other email id's but gave same error message on device. And now also giving the same message?

Am I missing something here? Please help in this matter.

cheers
    Sid.
    11-19-09 11:18 AM
    I switched to Microsoft Mobile Services Protocol and now my Hotmail arrival is slower than ever! For the first few days it was instantaneous and now it literally takes 2-3 hours and all my email for that time period arrives at once so I see 20 unread emails.

I am devastated now.
    11-19-09 01:46 PM
    It took me quite some time to find out that the Microsoft Mobile Services do not push emails when you are online, i.e. using messenger or web mail.

Once you log out, it will push all the stuff... Pretty stupid, I would say.

I switched to Microsoft Mobile Services Protocol and now my Hotmail arrival is slower than ever! For the first few days it was instantaneous and now it literally takes 2-3 hours and all my email for that time period arrives at once so I see 20 unread emails.

I am devastated now.
    11-19-09 03:07 PM
    It took me quite some time to find out that the Microsoft Mobile Services do not push emails when you are online, i.e. using messenger or web mail.

Really?
    No wonder, wow that sucks horribly.
    11-19-09 04:29 PM
    ...created username from device, successfully verified passowrds for the existing emails.
    then went to desktop bis login and clicked on "Set up account"
    No, you log in with the user name and password that you created on your phone from the the "create user name" menu. You will never hit the "setup account" button in online BIS. You have already set up your new BIS account from your phone. You need to log into this account from BIS.
    11-19-09 04:38 PM
    I do not seem to have that problem. Though I use Trillian and not Windows Live Chat, so that could be true. However, I don't think that's necessarily true for being logged in via web, since I'm often logged in typing an email online when my BB will flash with a new message from that very account.
    11-19-09 04:39 PM
    No, you log in with the user name and password that you created on your phone from the the "create user name" menu. You will never hit the "setup account" button in online BIS. You have already set up your new BIS account from your phone. You need to log into this account from BIS.
    apologies if not clear.
    I did login to bis in laptop browser and then in bis account (which is created from the device) hit on set up account
    Its just giving the same error message on device, bis on laptop and even in windows messenger in device.

Please correct me if doing something wrong.
    many thanks.
    11-19-09 04:55 PM
    I suppose you don't actually have Microsoft Outlook, and don't use a hotmail account... Because if you did, you would know that the "leave messages on server" setting is nowhere do be found! I have looked through Outlook many times, and cannot find it!
    I use Outlook Express and I do have Hotmail. I quit talking out of my arse about 40 years ago. If you're looking for help, you have a helluva way of soliciting it. Further, I believe I stated in a previous post that I wasn't sure if all email clients would have that setting, and if they didn't, it's inconceivable that the client would delete read messages from the server.

Actually, the old just came back recently... If you haven't done so, you need to change your outlook email setting. The hotmail now uses pop3 instead of http....
    Thanks for sparing me the pain of clarification and elaboration!
    11-19-09 05:34 PM
    Its just giving the same error message on device, bis on laptop and even in windows messenger in device.
    It would seem that you're entering an incorrect username and/or password. Otherwise I don't know.
    11-19-09 05:43 PM
    So I may be wrong here, however, I have Outlook 2007, and MSN which is now using the Passport Windows Live stuff to log in with Outlook, I was able to change my settings on the BIS website as instructed, but I can not find anywhere to change the settings on Outlook to leave messages on server.

Anyone else have this issue or any help would be great.
    11-19-09 07:11 PM
    I was able to set this up on the handheld through the email setup on my Storm a few weeks ago. Works great.
    11-20-09 07:55 AM

That was actually how it was supposed to be set up from the start. When i got my first blackberry way back in the day that's how my hotmail was ie on messenger didn't get the email right away. Yeah now it works flawless for me just like it is supposed to. So all the haters can now see you do get true push with bb on gmail,yahoo and hotmail. SERIOUSLY WE NEED THIS STICKIED OR IN HOW TO SECTION
    Last edited by theanswer3; 11-20-09 at 09:53 AM.
    11-20-09 09:51 AM
    It would seem that you're entering an incorrect username and/or password. Otherwise I don't know.
    Thanks for reply.
    your point noted, it can be entered wrong, but not for 6 to 7 different times.
    I think I am in black hole now. sigh.

cheers
    11-20-09 11:37 AM
    I use Outlook Express and I do have Hotmail. I quit talking out of my arse about 40 years ago. If you're looking for help, you have a helluva way of soliciting it. Further, I believe I stated in a previous post that I wasn't sure if all email clients would have that setting, and if they didn't, it's inconceivable that the client would delete read messages from the server.
    Does this mean that you're at least 50 years old?
    Thanks for the advice on my forum manners. This is a GROUP discussion on trying to fix technological sh*t that we're all baffled with. It's not YOU telling US what to do, thank you very much!

And NO you did not state if you were sure or not about all e-mail clients, because you said, and i Quote:
    "You should have your email client set to leave messages on the server after being opened on the PC by the client. That will ensure that despite the message having been read on the PC, it will still get pushed to the BB."

Now go and be proud of your age and technological know how, and you should be because many of your peer don't even know how what the **** is Outlook, let alone set up their e-mail with it or solve any problems with it.

Thanks for the effort though.
    11-20-09 12:29 PM
    no ad hominems on my thread plz. This is supposed to be a How-to/Important Tip thread and I don't want it ruined. Thx.
    11-20-09 06:40 PM
    I'm thinking that if an email client doesn't have the option / setting to leave messages on the server, then it's possible that the client doesn't remove the message upon opening. As long as the message is on the server, it'll get pushed. You can probably test this theory by opening a message with the client and then going into the web based email account and see if it's still there. Don't know for sure - just thinking out loud.
    Quote from post number 24 on page 2 of this thread, dated 19 Nov 09 at 0203hrs.

...And NO you did not state if you were sure or not about all e-mail clients...

Now go and be proud of your age...
    Well, you know what they say, "With age, comes wisdom." The one thing I am certainly proud of is the ability to read and write.

When I peruse threads, I make it a habit to read [every word of every post] from the beginning. This ensures that I don't make a fool of myself, or possibly overlook something that may be pertinent in resolving my issue. Plus, who knows, I might learn something ...imparting upon that wisdom thing - you know?

I should go now. Let's try not to give the bystanders too much ammo ...you know what they say!
    11-20-09 07:08 PM
    Actually Hotmail only stops pushing email when you are available on live messenger. If you set your mesenger status to away, it will keep pushing.

Works good for guys like me whose office pc is never off and messenger always is online.

That was actually how it was supposed to be set up from the start. When i got my first blackberry way back in the day that's how my hotmail was ie on messenger didn't get the email right away. Yeah now it works flawless for me just like it is supposed to. So all the haters can now see you do get true push with bb on gmail,yahoo and hotmail. SERIOUSLY WE NEED THIS STICKIED OR IN HOW TO SECTION
    11-23-09 03:26 PM
    Thanks for this. I wondered why there was a delay and loads of unread messages when i logged into hotmail on my computer. Was stuck on pop3.
    11-23-09 04:09 PM
    apologies if not clear.
    I did login to bis in laptop browser and then in bis account (which is created from the device) hit on set up account

Please correct me if doing something wrong.
    many thanks.
    My one problem solved. It was due to password length. Mine was 19 characters long, whereas it should be less than 16 characters for live activation in Blackberry.

Now changed the protocol in bis from desktop. Researching for 'leaving emails on server' now.

cheers people.

Check this windowslive support page(sorry not able to post links here.)
    search this subject on windowlive website
    "Setting up email on a blackberry!" by monkey1003

"Hi. I suggest that you try changing your password to less than 16 characters if you are using a long one. If you are not using a long password, or if it does not work, please contact BlackBerry support."

for hotmail setting search "Send and Receive Windows Live Hotmail emails from a Mail Client" by MSFT Roopa S

This solution article describes how to set up your Windows Live Hotmail POP3 account in an email client to send and receive emails.
    Here�s the information to configure your account on your preferred e-mail client:

- POP3 Server: pop3.live.com (port 995)
    - SMTP Server: smtp.live.com (port 25) {Note: If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the client in use}
    Note: Please make sure to check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most e-mail clients, this is not checked by default).
    - Username: your full e-mail address
    - Password: your Windows Live ID password

Also, our POP3 service requires that you use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection and use SMTP authentication. This is to ensure that your e-mail address and password are not subject to tampering.
    For instruction on how to add your e-mail account to Microsoft Outlook Express, click here.
    For instruction on how to add your e-mail account to Microsoft Outlook, click here.
    If you are having problems retrieving your mails from an email client even after following these steps, please write a post here.
    11-25-09 04:39 PM
    Moderators, Please note that this thread deserves sticky status. Helped me a lot. way way lot. Thank you original Poster and contributors.

cheers
    11-25-09 04:47 PM
    i have an 8320 on t-mobile and i get hotmail pushed now!

yay!
    11-25-09 08:55 PM
    Wow thanks! Had to do a forum search for this (should be stickied!). Just got my BBerry a few days ago but didn't have a clue how to get proper push emails on my live.com address, I was getting them but sometimes hours late.

This sorted the issue perfectly and made my BBerry even more useable.

Stickie it!
    11-27-09 04:42 PM
157 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD