Well, the phones are probably finalized, but since Rim prolly reads this stuff I am going to make a final wishlist on what I hope will be included and if they are not, hopefully a sawzall is in the plant and they can work them in (some have been semi confirmed by Rim, but I'm not taking any chances. Please feel free to add your own.

- Lots o Ram, at least 2 Gigs, more is better.
    - Huge Memory, no 8 Gig, just 64 and 128
    - SD Card Slot
    - Removable Battery
    - 4.1 Bluetooth
    - 2 Gig Quad Core Processing Power
    - 12 Megapixel Camera Rear and 5 Front with Stabilization and AUTOFLASH!
    - Exact Same Magnetic Charging Connector as Playbook (on bottom of N and side of L)
    - Micro HDMI Out
    - DLNA Compliant
    - Loud Stereo Speakers
    - 2 Convenience keys left side and right side
    - The Brightest Possible LED Flash
    - LED Notifier
    - A Better Compass Than My 9900, (one calibration only please).
    - Non Slip Battery Covers (The Playbooks Backside is simply the best)
    - Loud Volumes, Both Earpiece and Speakers
    - Dual Band WIFI
    - Multitouch Screen
    - Headphone Jack Left Side or Right (Never Top or Bottom)
    - Stainless Steel Blackberry Logo On Back
    - Minimum 2500 Ma Battery, larger is better.
    - Continuation of Blackberry's Durable and Rugged Build Quality
    - A Rimpire T-Shirt In The Box providing the shipping protection.

Well that's about it for hardware, I may have left something out. Now for accessories, because accessories are good, they make productive people more productive and make dumbasses feel like all is well because there is an ecosystem to be had.

- Full Size Bluetooth Keyboard with Blackberry Hotkeys, styled match phones
    - Blackberry Bluetooth Mouse styled match phones
    - Magnetic Charging Docks With Spare Battery Slot That Simultaneously Charges
    - Bluetooth Game Controllers a La PS3 style, styled match phones
    - New Gateway Streamer That Streams Video and uses WIFI.
    - Bluetooth Headphones styled match phones

Well that's about it for now, ambitious yes, but IMO, if Rim had these things, the always ignorant plastic press would have absolutely not a thing to whine about, the good publicity would be viral (cause Rim impressed) and sales would come naturally. If they are behind on one spec the press will grab that one item and never ever stop harping on about it, giving them a reason to recommend not buying this phone.

Last edited by fabfreddie; 09-14-12 at 04:18 AM.
    09-14-12 01:52 AM
    And presumably a mini 15 jiggawhat powerplant to keep it all running?

It's a phone not a tablet, or laptop for that matter. I'm conscious of the fact that this may come over a bit "64kb is more than anyone could ever need", but with a properly optimized OS there's simply no need for everything to be about massive numbers. Aside from anything else big numbers (generally) mean bigger physical size, before you know it you'll be strapping an laptop to your face so you might aswell just carry one anyway

There has to come a point where you take a step back and say "hold on, maybe if I need this much power I should be going to a pc/laptop/tablet". They call them mobile phones for a reason!
    09-14-12 02:43 AM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 or Lumia 9whatever already has most of that stuff, along with bigger screens, and it is outselling everything, if the new phone comes out in January with the same or lesser hardware as the S3, it will never get off the ground, it has to be better than everyone else at launch or Rim is in trouble.

Other than the huge Battery, nothing I have mentioned adds any weight, a 128 Gig SD Card is the size and weight of my thumbnail, and is the same size and weight as an 8 Gig card.

If your gonna run with the bulls.......
    Last edited by fabfreddie; 09-14-12 at 03:02 AM.
    09-14-12 02:58 AM
    you've gotta be kidding, the quadcore version of the S3 is 1.4 ghz not 2 and it does not have 2 GB RAM it has 1 GB. the dual core LTE S# is 1.5GHz 2GB RAM

those are crazy high demands and they are pretty stupid demads also
    09-14-12 03:39 AM
    you've gotta be kidding, the quadcore version of the S3 is 1.4 ghz not 2 and it does not have 2 GB RAM it has 1 GB. the dual core LTE S# is 1.5GHz 2GB RAM

those are crazy high demands and they are pretty stupid demads also
    So because I am hoping for a Rim phone that actually bests all the competitors for once since 2008, I am crazy and stupid?

I never said the S3 was 2 Ghz, you did, you're making sh*t up. I said the S3 has most of those things. The Canadian Model of the Galaxy S3 does have 2 Gig of Ram, so does the Optimus LTE2. Now, not 3 to 5 months from now, but now.

As for 2 Ghz, common folk are already overclocking their Nexus 7's at 2 Ghz and the HTC 1X is performing now with a 1.6 Ghz Quad core, this is now, not 3 to 5 months from now.

The TI Omap5 quadcore 2Ghz has already been benchmarked and will be ready to any time now, and seeing as this is the company that has provided the fantastic chipset in the Playbook, this is the exact processor I would like to see in the new phones 3 to 5 months from now.

If you look around, you will see that my wish list is either here already or about to be found in the competitors phones in the next few months. WTF do you have against Rim doing it first?

Guys like you aim low, wallow in the gutter then cry why, why are we not succeeding, I hope Rim does not take your perspective on things as has been done the last 4 years, instead I hope the smash every benchmark by all the competition combined, it will do the company and consumers like me will enjoy a better product because of it.

Crazy high stupid demands, pfft, making sh*t up so you look good on a message board is what is actually rather stupid. So other than the false nonsense about processor and Ram what else is crazy high stupid demand? Is it the latest Bluetooth, maybe the dock connector (already on Playbook), or perhaps you feel that the 2 convenience keys I enjoyed on my 8320 6 years ago is just too much beyond the pale?
    Last edited by fabfreddie; 09-14-12 at 04:45 AM.
    09-14-12 04:27 AM
    Well, the phones are probably finalized, but since Rim prolly reads this stuff I am going to make a final wishlist on what I hope will be included and if they are not, hopefully a sawzall is in the plant and they can work them in (some have been semi confirmed by Rim, but I'm not taking any chances. Please feel free to add your own.

- Lots o Ram, at least 2 Gigs, more is better.
    I would like to see 2GB of RAM
    - Huge Memory, no 8 Gig, just 64 and 128
    No thank you, keep costs sensible and offer 16GB with expandable MicroSDXC
    - SD Card Slot
    SD Card's are too big, MicroSDXC please,
    - Removable Battery
    This was confirmed thankfully
    - 4.1 Bluetooth
    Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Ready is what I'd like, with Bluetooth 4.0 Smart components made
    - 2 Gig Quad Core Processing Power
    This is bloody ridiculous there are NO quadcore SoC's with onboard LTE/3G CDMA, 3G GSM, I am very happy RIM is rumored to be using the qualcomm MSM8960T it looks to be the best processor on the market in the short term
    - 12 Megapixel Camera Rear and 5 Front with Stabilization and AUTOFLASH!
    I'd like to see an 8.7MP Back, 3.2MP front, all the usual features associated including AutoFocus, ideally I'd like to see a higher quality CMOS than seen in previous BlackBerry's closer in line with the Nokia Lumia 920
    - Exact Same Magnetic Charging Connector as Playbook (on bottom of N and side of L)
    I too want this, but the reality is the small battery of the phones we'd over charge and cause issues
    - Micro HDMI Out
    Must have
    - DLNA Compliant
    Should be a given
    - Loud Stereo Speakers
    Agreed
    - 2 Convenience keys left side and right side
    Agreed, I like convenience keys very much though I'd like to see them tied into the camera, and volume buttons
    - The Brightest Possible LED Flash
    I'd like to see a 2 stage LED flash
    - LED Notifier
    I'd like to see a dual LED notifier with the native ability to change colours of both or each LED independently to give a wide array of notification options
    - A Better Compass Than My 9900, (one calibration only please).
    For sure, I'd like to calibrate only once per day, per 100m altitude
    - Non Slip Battery Covers (The Playbooks Backside is simply the best)
    The PlayBook backside would be an excellent battery cover, but it isn't shiny enough, my devAlpha was considered "dull looking" from the back to most who saw it
    - Loud Volumes, Both Earpiece and Speakers
    This is regulated I'm pretty sure when it comes to ear piece, I'd RIM to make sure they max out the safe volume limits.
    - Dual Band WIFI
    Yes Please 802.11 a/b/g/n please
    - Multitouch Screen
    a given
    - Headphone Jack Left Side or Right (Never Top or Bottom)
    Completely disagree, all connectors should be top or bottom, nothing should connect on the sides. single handed use is easier with connectors top and bottom
    - Stainless Steel Blackberry Logo On Back
    Metalic plastic would be fine with me, I don't need the weight, nor the signal blocking of Stainless steel
    - Minimum 2500 Ma Battery, larger is better.
    I just want 10+ hours of talk time, 10+ hours of browsing 250+ hours of standby, ideally I'd like that out of a 1800mAh Battery as charging time on bigger battery's is astronomical. better use of battery > bigger battery
    - Continuation of Blackberry's Durable and Rugged Build Quality
    I'd like the RETURN TO BlackBerry's historical durability the 9900, 9790, 9860 9360 are all lacking compared to their previous generations
    - A Rimpire T-Shirt In The Box providing the shipping protection.
    No thank you, Box would be too large. I'd rather have a $10 App world gift code in every box

RIM needs a realistic, well made, well priced, profitable BlacKBerry 10 device if they want to turn their fortunes around, it must appease consumers, Enterprise, and share holders, so wasting money on things to have "the best numbers" when it comes to specs is silly, they need to have the best options for performance and usability.
    fabfreddie and Cesare21 like this.
    09-14-12 05:18 AM
    It will be interesting to see what the difference in hardware is between the high level phones and the mid and entry level phones.
    What could make up that big of a difference in cost? Memory? CPU? Hopefully not the screen quality.
    09-14-12 06:28 AM
    microHDMI out and microSD card support are there.
    09-14-12 06:35 AM
    @deRusset

Bigger battery charge times are not "astronomical", and what you want out of an 1800mAh just isn't realistic. I've got a 2100mah extended battery and the charge time is really no different than my stock 1800. I'm not sure what the charging time is on the Maxx battery (3300mah), but i'd wager money that plugging it in overnight would have it charged for morning (which is what most people do).

I really would have liked to have seen a bigger battery. 1800mah is meh. It will get the job done i'm sure, but i'd wager that it will give no better battery time than current phones out there with larger screens. Seeing's how RIM is renowned for their battery life..they should have really stepped up the bar (instead of letting Moto do it).

EDIT: And yes, i'm aware that "software" matters. But tell that to the PlayBook.
    09-14-12 07:07 AM
    @deRusset

Bigger battery charge times are not "astronomical", and what you want out of an 1800mAh just isn't realistic. I've got a 2100mah extended battery and the charge time is really no different than my stock 1800. I'm not sure what the charging time is on the Maxx battery (3300mah), but i'd wager money that plugging it in overnight would have it charged for morning (which is what most people do).

I really would have liked to have seen a bigger battery. 1800mah is meh. It will get the job done i'm sure, but i'd wager that it will give no better battery time than current phones out there with larger screens. Seeing's how RIM is renowned for their battery life..they should have really stepped up the bar (instead of letting Moto do it).

EDIT: And yes, i'm aware that "software" matters. But tell that to the PlayBook.

your charging time on your 2100mAh would be 15% longer than the 1800mAh, the 3300mAh would be 46% longer, because the speed it charges is dictated by the charging source. You're smarter than that.

And Charging over night is only good if you get a full day, which no device (haven't used the Maxx yet) can accomplish, while the SG3 got similar battery life as the 9790, the fact that 20 min on the charger between meetings I got considerably longer life from the 9790 over the SG3 due to faster charging.

Why do you say it isn't realistic?
    RIM is moving to a smaller process, will have a smaller screen than the playbook and wont rely heavily on adobe Air which kills the playbook in terms of battery.
    Software controls can do a lot considering the battery life RIM gets out of a 1230mAh battery on the 9790 with it's aging OS,
    09-14-12 07:47 AM
    Battery dream time ...

I'd love it ships with a 2 slots charging/sync dock (phone + battery) and an extra battery thin enough to fit my wallet with no notable deformation.

Also I'd love the battery to be "hotplug" (can change it w/o shutting down the phone, like 1 minute of standby mode w/o battery).

This would be inovative. 2X time (provided you have no portable charger in car or office), leightweight and funny ... see the idea of a bottom unload/load ... ok it's a gun ... but you'll get the idea.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls4Uq1aCiTA[/YT]
    09-14-12 07:51 AM
    your charging time on your 2100mAh would be 15% longer than the 1800mAh, the 3300mAh would be 46% longer, because the speed it charges is dictated by the charging source. You're smarter than that.

And Charging over night is only good if you get a full day, which no device (haven't used the Maxx yet) can accomplish, while the SG3 got similar battery life as the 9790, the fact that 20 min on the charger between meetings I got considerably longer life from the 9790 over the SG3 due to faster charging.

Why do you say it isn't realistic?
    RIM is moving to a smaller process, will have a smaller screen than the playbook and wont rely heavily on adobe Air which kills the playbook in terms of battery.
    Software controls can do a lot considering the battery life RIM gets out of a 1230mAh battery on the 9790 with it's aging OS,
    15% is hardly anything. As for lasting a full day.. Maybe phones for you don't last a full day.. But I easily get full days (16hrs min) out of my Gnex. Not saying you would with your usage.. But yours isn't typical for the average user either.

You seem to forget that BB10 will be LTE with a 4.3" screen. If you think that won't matter then you're mistaken. I'm not saying it won't be as good as comparable devices out there. But if RIM really wanted to make a statement they should have gone with a bigger battery imo.
    09-14-12 08:17 AM
    Battery dream time ...

I'd love it ships with a 2 slots charging/sync dock (phone + battery) and an extra battery thin enough to fit my wallet with no notable deformation.

Also I'd love the battery to be "hotplug" (can change it w/o shutting down the phone, like 1 minute of standby mode w/o battery).

This would be inovative. 2X time (provided you have no portable charger in car or office), leightweight and funny ... see the idea of a bottom unload/load ... ok it's a gun ... but you'll get the idea.

I like the idea of the "hotplug"! But I'm guessing for that to work there would have to be some type of reserve cell built in. As long as BB10 doesn't have Playbook esque reboot times.. Then switching batteries won't be a big deal. My Gnex reboots in under 30sec so it's hardly noticeable.
    09-14-12 08:21 AM
    15% is hardly anything. As for lasting a full day.. Maybe phones for you don't last a full day.. But I easily get full days (16hrs min) out of my Gnex. Not saying you would with your usage.. But yours isn't typical for the average user either.

You seem to forget that BB10 will be LTE with a 4.3" screen. If you think that won't matter then you're mistaken. I'm not saying it won't be as good as comparable devices out there. But if RIM really wanted to make a statement they should have gone with a bigger battery imo.
    What devices on the market today have LTE on the same SoC as everything else?

I honestly don't know that answer which is why I bring that up, I was under the impression that the MSM8960T will be one of the first, so battery similar with LTE as 3G+ as no extra chips are added.

coupled with the smaller 28nm process which also should bring improved battery life over a 32nm process.

I do think it will matter having a bigger screen hence I'm willing to have the 1800mAh battery vs a 1500mAh battery which really is as big as I have liked in the past and even then I didn't appreciate. agreed my usage isn't average, on Monday I logged 7 hours of talk time on my primary phone, and more than 20 sent emails
    On wednesday I didn't have access to any charger from 6am till 11pm my poor iPhone didn't make it past 4pm, my 9790 was on the 3rd Battery when I got home.

I am not saying at all my usage is normal usage, but I am saying that even as a battery killer I'd rather the smaller battery over the larger battery especially with the ability to swap batteries.
    09-14-12 08:29 AM
    I like the idea of the "hotplug"! But I'm guessing for that to work there would have to be some type of reserve cell built in. As long as BB10 doesn't have Playbook esque reboot times.. Then switching batteries won't be a big deal. My Gnex reboots in under 30sec so it's hardly noticeable.
    "hotplug" or hotswappable would use a capacitor to store energy to keep it alive, that would be the most efficient, and cost effective way to accomplish it.

I too would love hotswappable I've been asking for it since 2010, but it is such a niche market.

I'd like to see BlackBerry Boot in less than a minute, that would mean more to me than hotswappable now, we'll never see sub 30s the security checks RIM does on each boot eat up time.
    09-14-12 08:32 AM
    A simple way to find, subscribe, and update Podcasts....just like it was in 7.0, before 7.1 broke it.

Another BASIC feature I can't get on my current Blackberry 9360.
    09-14-12 09:04 AM
    Regarding boot up time, they are going to reduce that.
    Some of you have already heard that they are not going to be loading every conceivable module upon startup, which is what is currently happening with the Playbook and takes so much time.
    Not sure how much faster it will be but I assume it is appreciable.
    09-14-12 12:03 PM
    So because I am hoping for a Rim phone that actually bests all the competitors for once since 2008, I am crazy and stupid?

I never said the S3 was 2 Ghz, you did, you're making sh*t up. I said the S3 has most of those things. The Canadian Model of the Galaxy S3 does have 2 Gig of Ram, so does the Optimus LTE2. Now, not 3 to 5 months from now, but now.

As for 2 Ghz, common folk are already overclocking their Nexus 7's at 2 Ghz and the HTC 1X is performing now with a 1.6 Ghz Quad core, this is now, not 3 to 5 months from now.

The TI Omap5 quadcore 2Ghz has already been benchmarked and will be ready to any time now, and seeing as this is the company that has provided the fantastic chipset in the Playbook, this is the exact processor I would like to see in the new phones 3 to 5 months from now.

If you look around, you will see that my wish list is either here already or about to be found in the competitors phones in the next few months. WTF do you have against Rim doing it first?

Guys like you aim low, wallow in the gutter then cry why, why are we not succeeding, I hope Rim does not take your perspective on things as has been done the last 4 years, instead I hope the smash every benchmark by all the competition combined, it will do the company and consumers like me will enjoy a better product because of it.

Crazy high stupid demands, pfft, making sh*t up so you look good on a message board is what is actually rather stupid. So other than the false nonsense about processor and Ram what else is crazy high stupid demand? Is it the latest Bluetooth, maybe the dock connector (already on Playbook), or perhaps you feel that the 2 convenience keys I enjoyed on my 8320 6 years ago is just too much beyond the pale?
    no with the chipset you'r claiming you'd need to carry around a car battery, either way 2.0 quadcore is out of the question this year and possibly next year also technology just isn't there as of yet to have a proper effect on battery life and the integration of modems.

this is what im refering to as crazy and stupid not the rest
    09-14-12 01:44 PM
    An update to let some know the wish list is not as fantastic or far fetched as one may assume.

LG has released it's latest and greatest, it includes a 1.5 Ghz QuadCore, a 13 MegaPixel Shooter, 2 Gig DDR Ram, 2100 mAh Battery.

Samsung starts producing faster 2GB LPDDR3 memory for mobile devices, 128GB flash storage too

Both Articles are featured here:Engadget

As you can see, even my list, which some may consider outlandish for a mobile phone, are beginning to appear now with Rim's competitors. If Rim does not predict and match what will be on the field 3 to 5 months from now and puts out a 2012 phone in 2013, they will be slaughtered by the press and phones will not sell.

For too long Rim has used just enough power and capability to let it's OS' run decently. For once, they need to go Thermonuclear and allow themselves the boasting rights of having the most powerful and most capable hardware of all the competition in every spec period. No bones about it. It's not just great for us as consumers and users, but it is an automatic press headline and free advertising.
    Last edited by fabfreddie; 09-18-12 at 09:53 AM.
    09-18-12 09:46 AM
    After experiencing the Razr Maxx and what its large capacity battery has to offer, I for one, would LOVE a larger battery.

The building I'm in gets the WORSE reception, and that's for all carriers (it also has to do with the fact that the building I'm in used to be an FBI branch, so I wouldn't doubt any signal baffles or whatnot that interfere with signal reception). And still, the Razr Maxx would do easily 12+ hours of talk (which includes a lot of "speakerphone minutes"), 20-30 emails, and about 150-200 sent/received text messages; and that's taking the phone off the charger at around 7-8am, and having about 30% at about midnight.

Granted, I never use the Maxx to watch videos or play games, and I do minimal web surfing (<30 mins if that). But if a BB10 can last as long as this Maxx, then kudos RIM. Now if RIM can make that happen without having to use a 3,300mah battery, then more kudos to them
    09-18-12 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD