Ok I have a Curve 8330m/4.5.0.175 on the Sprint network. How much Free File mem should I have or run at?

I'm at 29,117,297 or so

I real don't have much installed
    I did the mem free tips and got up to like 42,000,000

But then it just drops... Why is that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 10:01 AM
    Your file free is fine!
    10-23-09 10:05 AM
    Ok thank you but I do get an hour glass here and there

10-23-09 10:15 AM
    What 3rd party apps are you running on your phone?
    10-23-09 10:18 AM
    What has happened is what is called a memory leak.
    One or more apps is failing to clean up afer itself. You have three choices:
    • Live with it
    • Do a battery pull about once a week or more if ths becomes a problem
    • Remove each of your 3rd party apps. one at a time until it stops

Do not allow your File Free to from below 12Mb or strange things may begin to happen such as email deltion and vanishing c
    ontact lists.
    10-23-09 10:20 AM
    If you are seeing the hour glass, it is for something other then memory management.

42 Mb free out of 96 Mb is pretty good.

In round numbers, Sun Java VM takes 10 Mb, a optimized Device OS Software build takes 35 Mb. Third party software and your database occupy the remaining memory.

It is normal for Sun Java to use memory to store tempory information to improve performance, then to release the tempory memory back to the device.

As long as you are clear of the Reserved Memory Limit (5 Mb), let it do it's thing.
    10-23-09 10:22 AM
    Rule of thumb is to try to keep it above 12MB, somewhere under that your device will start to delete things like messages. Remember to close apps properly - menu key/close. Periodically clear your cache and do a battery pull while your device is on.
    To clear cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

10-23-09 10:22 AM
    Or what Reed said,

10-23-09 10:23 AM
    To see what apps are running in the background, check your application switcher - Alt>menu key. This will open a box that shows what apps are running, there will always be 5 on your device, homescreen, phone log, message folder, bbmessenger, and browser. Everything else can be closed. This is also a handy way to switch between apps you want open - ie, multitask.

10-23-09 10:27 AM
    I have quite a few 3rd party apps installed on my 8330, and I currently hover anywhere between 33-39 mb. Like stated above, different apps use memory in different ways for them to operate properly.
    10-23-09 10:30 AM
    Ok see but I don't have 42, alway it starts out like that after a battery pull but then gets down to like 28 ? This is why I aked.

Here is what I have installed

Yahoo
    MSN/Live
    AIM
    Gtalk

Facebook 1.7
    Myspace
    Twitterberry

WeatherBug Direct
    ScoreMobile
    Wattpad
    Docs 2 go upgrade
    Iheartradio
    Dicationary.com
    Beyond411

Crackberry
    ESPN
    CNN

10-23-09 11:22 AM
    That's a pretty solid amount of apps my friend... and alot of those are going to use some memory, especially FB, Myspace, and WeatherBug. Iheartradio will also probably use some substancial memory when running as well.

Are you closing out the apps properly when you're done using them? Also, what apps do you keep running at all times? for instance, I have BerryWeather running 24-7 with a 30 minute update interval... Also, how long does it take for the memory to drop down to 28 from 42, is it instantaneous, or is it over a couple days?

IMO with all those apps you have 28-29 mb isn't really bad at all!

I've got an 8330 as well with these apps loaded:

BerryBuzz
    Berryweather
    App World
    Dictionary.com
    Documents to go
    Gmail plugin
    Facebook 1.7
    Flashlight
    Google Maps
    LaterDude Pro
    LaterFlag
    QuickPull Pro
    Scoremobile
    BBM 5.0

I just downloaded the Gmail plugin again today, so I did a quickpull afterwards and I started off with 39,xxx,xxx file free, and currently running with 37,xxx,xxx, where it will jump around somewhere between 30-39mb over the course of a couple days.
    10-23-09 11:35 AM
    That's a pretty solid amount of apps my friend... and alot of those are going to use some memory, especially FB, Myspace, and WeatherBug. Iheartradio will also probably use some substancial memory when running as well.

Are you closing out the apps properly when you're done using them? Also, what apps do you keep running at all times? for instance, I have BerryWeather running 24-7 with a 30 minute update interval... Also, how long does it take for the memory to drop down to 28 from 42, is it instantaneous, or is it over a couple days?

IMO with all those apps you have 28-29 mb isn't really bad at all!

I've got an 8330 as well with these apps loaded:

BerryBuzz
    Berryweather
    App World
    Dictionary.com
    Documents to go
    Gmail plugin
    Facebook 1.7
    Flashlight
    Google Maps
    LaterDude Pro
    LaterFlag
    QuickPull Pro
    Scoremobile
    BBM 5.0

I just downloaded the Gmail plugin again today, so I did a quickpull afterwards and I started off with 39,xxx,xxx file free, and currently running with 37,xxx,xxx, where it will jump around somewhere between 30-39mb over the course of a couple days.

IM not using

app world
    gmaps
    later dude
    gmail plugins

Runining all the time

facebook, myspace, twitterberry
    yahoo,aim,msn,gtalk
    weatherbug direct
    10-23-09 01:18 PM
    115mb here.

Tour...
    10-23-09 01:24 PM
    Runining all the time

facebook, myspace, twitterberry
    yahoo,aim,msn,gtalk
    weatherbug direct
    And this is where your memory is going.
    1) Look at one of the all in one IM clients instead of running
    4 separate ones.
    2) Do you really need to run WeatherBug constantly? Seriously.
    3) Open the Social Networking apps as needed.

115mb here.

Tour...
    DM101, gotta love that 256mb of app memory huh?
    10-23-09 01:57 PM
    And this is where your memory is going.
    1) Look at one of the all in one IM clients instead of running
    4 separate ones.
    2) Do you really need to run WeatherBug constantly? Seriously.
    3) Open the Social Networking apps as needed.
    Yeah, that's the source of your memory leak right there...
    Your Facebook/MySpace notifications will arrive just the same regardless if you keep it open or close it out, all keeping it open will do is it will constantly update your news feed... and unless you're staring at them every 2 minutes, that's kinda overkill!

I have my weather app running in the background all the time... but I also don't have a bunch of other stuff running at the same time either... you really need to close all that other junk out when you aren't using it.
    10-23-09 02:00 PM
    So I am lost here? How do I know if they are running compared to in the background?

10-23-09 07:45 PM
    So I am lost here? How do I know if they are running compared to in the background?
    It's all the same. People use the terms interchangeably.

To tell what is running press and hold the ALT key and press the Back button
    (immediately right of trackball). Use the trackball to scroll through the apps
    that are running. (You have to continue pressing the ALT key for this to work)

There are 5 apps that will always run and cannot be closed. They are BBM,
    Browser, Call Log, Messages and Home.
    10-23-09 07:54 PM
    Ok now we are getting somewhere I have yahoo running wich I want, but how do I not have facebook allways running do I sign out of it.

10-23-09 08:04 PM
    Ok now we are getting somewhere I have yahoo running wich I want, but how do I not have facebook allways running do I sign out of it.
    Exactly. Same for Facebook
    10-23-09 08:07 PM
    The new facebook 1.7 sucked my memory dry. I'm gonna find a way to downgrade. I had no issues with the previous release.

10-23-09 08:09 PM
    Cliff, check the Native Apps section. There are a couple of
    threads that have the link to the old (1.6) version.
    10-23-09 08:11 PM
    Ok I'm sorry I'm realy not that bright like the other poster said I will get my notications I guess but everytime I want to check my FB or MS app I have to sign in?

10-23-09 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD