A few questions I have been thinking about, and wanted to see if someone have any thoughts around it.

- Will the android player be part og BB10? Will we as users be able to load bar files (or similar - if bar is not used for BB10) to our BB10 devices?

- With BB10 date announced, any idea when our playbooks will get BB10 OS? The data for BB10 release date has been confirmed, but what about out playbooks? It is safe to assume that OS for PlayBook will be released when the new phones come out? I understood from all the online discussions that BB10 will be one OS for all devices.

- Video format support - will be finally be able to play mkv files? A big missing item, and would greatly reduce the need for video conversion

- Network browsing / streaming. Love that I can access playbook over the network as a shared folder. Any idea if BB10 (on the Playbook / BB10 phones) would allow true samba, i.e. both the share folders on the BB10 device on the network, but also be able to browse network areas and be able to access files.
    11-26-12 09:18 AM
    - Will the android player be part og BB10? Will we as users be able to load bar files (or similar - if bar is not used for BB10) to our BB10 devices?
    Think about it this way, why would RIM have invested so much time into getting an Android Player over to the PlayBook if they were planning on getting rid of it once BB10 came out (as BB10 is coming as an OS update to the PlayBook). They made the Android Player in order to get more devs on board for the launch of BB10, to fill up the App world with more apps. They didn't create the Android Player just for the PlayBook to carry people over, they did it for a bigger reason.. Not one which they would have created to just hold people off until the BB10 update. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the Android Player was NOT a part of BB10, it makes absolutely no sense as to why they would get rid of it. I do hope they put a little aside in App World though, telling us if the app is an Android app or not.. I guess we'll see once BB10 comes out.

- With BB10 date announced, any idea when our playbooks will get BB10 OS? The data for BB10 release date has been confirmed, but what about out playbooks? It is safe to assume that OS for PlayBook will be released when the new phones come out? I understood from all the online discussions that BB10 will be one OS for all devices.
    They will not release it the day BB10 phones come out. Their #1 priority is getting the phones fine-tuned and to market.. That's including the N-Series (physical QWERTY), which is said to come out a bit after the L-Series. There have been some leaks in the past if I recall correctly that said midway through the year, maybe June-July(ish).. But of course, no one knows for sure until they tell us. It is safe to assume though that it will be (AT-LEAST) a few months after the release of BB10 phones.

- Video format support - will be finally be able to play mkv files? A big missing item, and would greatly reduce the need for video conversion
    I think there is a huge patent thing that causes all of the formatting issues between phones, devices, OS's and such. It's simply an extra cost that they would have to incur in order to license the use of mkv, which they probably aren't willing to do seeing as the PlayBook is running QNX and you cannot play mkv video files. (although I am not entirely sure about this one, I do remember reading something like this for the video and audio file formats and why certain operating systems support different formats than others, and why an OS normally does not support every format out there, especially the "only once and a while use" formats like mkv. Maybe someone else can correct this one, but I'm pretty sure this is the reasoning why if they don't end up supporting it. I wouldn't hold my breath, although I DO hope they support it :/

- Network browsing / streaming. Love that I can access playbook over the network as a shared folder. Any idea if BB10 (on the Playbook / BB10 phones) would allow true samba, i.e. both the share folders on the BB10 device on the network, but also be able to browse network areas and be able to access files.
    Absolutely no idea with this one, not much to speculate either, this isn't really a part that I have much expertise in, but with 4G LTE, it could be possible? (I do think I misunderstood what you were saying in this question, I read the last "browse network areas" as in over the network, like LTE network rather than home network. Either way, not sure about this question, hope the other few answers helped clear things up a bit.
    kbz1960 and peter9477 like this.
    11-26-12 09:39 AM
    11-29-12 02:53 PM