I just received my check from the IRS for $600. I really want a blackberry pearl. I have never owned a cell phone and this will be my first. I heard about this website through a friend, and he said it was the best. Any suggestions on which model to get for someone purchasing one for the first time. Also, which carrier should I go with?
    06-01-08 07:54 AM
    The Pearl is a great phone but if you are going to do a lot of texting, I would suggest the Curve. Right now a lot of places are having sales and you can get a Curve for $99.00.
    06-01-08 07:57 AM
    I have a Pearl and love it, so I would say absolutely do it, but that's just one opinion. I send emails and texts on a very frequent basis and have no trouble with the keyboard being too small, SureType, or other things Curve lovers will tell you are disadvantages.

As for the carrier, TMobile is hands down the cheapest and has best customer service (again, just one opinion, but I've been with them for 8 years) and they have nice Pearls available. Check the web site for coverage and rate plans where you are.

You should go into a TMobile store (or any carrier that has the BBs you want) and practice holding/dialing/texting etc on the models. Nobody but you knows what the perfect BB is for you. Have fun shopping!
    06-01-08 08:10 AM
    I just received my check from the IRS for $600. I really want a blackberry pearl. I have never owned a cell phone and this will be my first. I heard about this website through a friend, and he said it was the best. Any suggestions on which model to get for someone purchasing one for the first time. Also, which carrier should I go with?
    I would go with AT&T but wait for the bold. If you never had a cell phone before this would be a great experience for you.

Welcome to CB
    06-01-08 08:11 AM
    Me personally I love my Pearl and my T-Mobile service. They have the cheapest BB add on package at $20 and great low cost service. Your best bet though is to see who has the best coverage in your area. Cheap service is great only if it works. Enjoy whichever new BB you get and if you need help we here at CB are always here with answers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 08:44 AM
    For a first phone, a BB will blow your socks off---for real! I'm a geek and have been steeped in cell phones, iPods, and PDAs for more than a decade and I am still learning stuff about my Pearl after a few weeks of ownership. I have waffled about trading it in for a Curve because I can't totally cozy up to the keyboard, but I think I overall like the Pearl better because it's little. It is after all a phone, and I find it less comfortable to hold a more squared phone while I'm talking. I've gotten pretty fast at the keyboard too. One of my friends just got a curve and likes the WiFi since she doesn't have a data plan, so that's something else to consider. Most places have a 30-day period where you can exchange if you absolutely don't like it, so you can't go wrong, IMHO!
    06-01-08 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD