$799 + tax. Yikes
    Sounds like a good plan, over price it like Apple, and people will think it is valuable? That plan has always worked for Apple.
    switcharoo likes this.
    01-12-13 07:05 PM
    Sounds like a good plan, over price it like Apple, and people will think it is valuable? That plan has always worked for Apple.
    More like a horrible plan. Rimm tried to do that with the PB, and we know how that turned out. 799 is pretty steep for a bb (I don't think RIMM is that crazy to price their device that high), especially a brand new unproven platform.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    THBW likes this.
    01-12-13 07:27 PM
    Even if this is true, what does this have to do with any other carrier?

Bell is ONE carrier...who says it won't be released by another carrier before Bell releases it...ie Rogers.
    01-12-13 07:47 PM
    No. I think most of us are assuming it's just the 16gb
    They might step it up to 32GB to follow suit with how they released the 32GB LTE Playbook. Though they might not since the 32GB LTE Playbook didn't have an expandable memory, while the BB10 will.

Personally, I think the sweet spot is 32GB. That way I don't have to even go and get an extra microSD card.
    01-12-13 08:00 PM
    you are right, RIM's cost per unit is not that much but i wish their expenses stopped there. How about the R&D? the advertising? rent for their realestate? their employees? their private jet? Yeah, their overall cost is high. if you are paying 699 outright for a bold, 100 more for the Z seems reasonable. We will find out on the 30th and it is what it is. wont put me in the poor house either way. i need it and i want it.

Agree...Thor already stated its not a race to the bottom price point for RIM, I think it will be up there on the scale, as it should be...I'll pay whatever as well.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 01-12-13 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Format
    01-12-13 08:11 PM
    If it said Jan 30 at $400 list price, would you be taking it as seriously?
    Probably not. Given that this is also above the estimated retail cost per the Bell promotion, I wouldn't sweat it.

I also doubt that Bell would bother taking preorders two months in advance.
    Correct....went to a Bell outlet today to see if they would take my money to reserve one....nope.
    01-12-13 08:24 PM
    Double Post...sorry.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 01-12-13 at 11:03 PM.
    01-12-13 08:25 PM
    Perfect gives me time if i want to switch over to bell eh. Btw should i stick with rogers or go with bell?? I work all over canada, but my home is vancouver, bc eh. I dont care about price because currently paying for 5 rogers plans $$$$. Either way i will buy it for rogers eh=p
    01-12-13 09:15 PM
    Let�s keep in mind that the Bold is sold in various countries. In Canada for example, you can buy the Bold outright for 630$ at telusmobility.com. Sorry for the exaggeration on the price. They must have dropped the price. I swore it was more. In the US, maybe the prices are cheaper. If this is the case, maybe the US will see the Z priced differently. Either way, I'm sure we will see all sorts of promotions.

799$ Maybe be too expensive for some people and RIM recognizes this. Isn't this why RIM stated publicly that they would be touching all price points?

If you dont mind me asking, what does your "shiny new Red SIII" go for off contract in the US?
    It's 549...
    Same as a 9900.
    I simply will not pay that kind of money in a phone. They've lost me at launch if that's the price.
    I will wait to summer to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-13-13 at 05:47 AM.
    01-12-13 10:08 PM
    I think I will just wait for RIM to release a date than to speculate
    RubberChicken76 and jakie55 like this.
    01-12-13 10:13 PM
    Even if this is true, what does this have to do with any other carrier?

Bell is ONE carrier...who says it won't be released by another carrier before Bell releases it...ie Rogers.
    I'm a happy Telus customer, but Rogers will be first.
    01-12-13 10:47 PM
    They might step it up to 32GB to follow suit with how they released the 32GB LTE Playbook. Though they might not since the 32GB LTE Playbook didn't have an expandable memory, while the BB10 will.
    Personally, I think the sweet spot is 32GB. That way I don't have to even go and get an extra microSD card.
    They will be 16 GB expandable to 128 GB.
    01-12-13 10:48 PM
    Some interesting negative "sentiment", YET there is no factual basis for same.

Looking forward to Jan 30 2013 and factual news.

Onward BB10 >>>> Jan 30 2013 and beyond
    Re-read everything I've written in this thread and see if you can comprehend what I've communicated.

I am also very curious as to why, out of all the posters in the thread who have expressed dismay at the price, you would single out my post in particular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-13-13 at 05:52 AM.
    01-13-13 03:42 AM
    First, as we speak today, RIM hasn't got the mindshare, marketshare, capital that Apple has.

Secondly, a product must be *made* to show it is valuable, instead of attempting to make people think anything.

Third, the iPhone has a proven history with consumers, with one of the highest satisfaction ratings in the industry. In all the iPhone's history, there have been three missteps (Antennagate, Siri, and iOS6 Maps) which barely made a dent in overall customer satisfaction, much to the chagrin of Apple haters. Contrast with two dismal market failures on RIM's part, the Storm and the PB, which haunt RIM to this day.

Fourth, as a result of Apple's support of its products referencing regularly timed releases and generally responsive OS updates, it has gathered to itself a devoted following giving it a solid second place in the industry.

Lastly, and most important of all, given its high satisfaction rate, Apple customers return to the platform. Therefore they do in fact value what Apple sells, given the exceptional build quality of the devices, the excellent customer service, and the consistent support. The consumer determines what is overpriced, and companies follow suit. Think the dismal PB sales when it tried to go against Apple. The only way PB moved was on fire sales. My 4S and my iPad are both excellent devices. Given the troubles I've had with the 9900 nuking itself and the dismal camera, and comparing it to the seamless, smooth, excellent performance on my 4S, my iPhone was worth every penny, and my iPad was worth every penny.

Any company with the satisfaction rating that Apple has is listening to its customers, as much as Apple haters would like to think otherwise. Will the company lose ground? Of course it will. Will it rise again? It did it once. But the main point is that RIM's position in the market is nowhere near what it once was, nor is it what Apple holds today. I feel that its best strategy is to undercut Apple and Samsung pricing, and not try to match them. Today's RIM simply hasn't got the respect with the consumers that Apple has. RIM will need to earn the consumers' respect all over again.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-13-13 06:18 AM
    Just wanted to tell everyone that was complaining about the screenshot that had the Bestbuy street date as the end of February that the street date has changed in the system. It now shows street date at the end of the year.

As I mentioned prior that date was only a placeholder for the product SKU set in the RSS system.

Oh and PS they also now have in the system SKUS for cases and accessories.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-16-13 12:57 AM
90 ... 234