The truth is that every phone, especially a BlackBerry is vulnerable to what just happened to iPhone. Why do I say especially? Because Chen will go out of his way to help governments get what they want.
    Thats not the truth, thats your gut feeling, your sentiment and/or opinion. There hasnt been that case yet and until it happens you cant say is the truth.
    03-31-16 06:09 PM
    Everyone here so happy about what has happened to the iPhone, thats just sad. Keep cheering on big brother.

The truth is that every phone, especially a BlackBerry is vulnerable to what just happened to iPhone. Why do I say especially? Because Chen will go out of his way to help governments get what they want.

To Apples credit, they are now trying to obtain information as to how their security was breached. The FBI in hiring an Israeli comapny to break in the iPhone did at least accomplish one thing. They made it clear that even if you have a comapny with good intentions of keeping you safe, the government will win anyway.

Chen is evil. Yes. Tim Cook is more moral. But in the end it doesn't matter.

And the government has the majority of you approving of their actions against "evil apple" and "evil Google". At least those companies tried. Chen / BlackBerry / FBI = all the same.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    Whoa, you have some strong anti-Chen bias. Not healthy.
    raino, anon(9353145) and web99 like this.
    03-31-16 06:12 PM
    Whoa, you have some strong anti-Chen bias. Not healthy.
    speaks as if he knew the guy
    03-31-16 06:15 PM
    Its a good time for ser the security off a Blackberry

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 07:00 PM
    and a third party company did it in three weeks. What a shame eh? either they were lying or didnt wanted
    Are you claiming the third party wrote similar software to break in? If so, I would challenge your knowledge of any of this. That is the only option specifically addressed by Apple. If the third party was successful, it was by another route. Speculation is it was by NAND mirroring, which, by the way, is apparently a technique that can work on other phones as well.
    03-31-16 07:49 PM
    What's sad is that its ignored in here that Celebrite has already stated they can hack into any Blackberry.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-31-16 08:16 PM
    Never understood how anyone thought that Apple ever had a case. Years of legal precedent holds that a person must provide access to a locked area if presented with a court order. "Sorry, Feds, I will not open that storage unit for you because doing so would violate my tenant's privacy" is a good way to be jailed for obstruction or contempt.
    You should read up on the case because that's not what they wanted. They weren't asking for just access to one phone, they were asking for Apple to create a backdoor for them to unlock phones when they wanted to. And they did have a case which is why they never unlocked it and why the Feds dropped it when Celebrite said they could do it for them.
    03-31-16 08:19 PM
    Criminals aren't safe.... that's basically all I get from this. Chen went on the record back in December saying "However, our privacy commitment does not extend to criminals.�

There are levels of security that most of us are willing to "accept". Having an Apple devices might be like having a regular door lock and deadbolt on your front door. Maybe we'd like to have a 12" steel door... but then we'd have to do something about all those glass windows.
    +1 agree for this, so if you're not criminals I think not to worried about your phone data

Posted Via Q10 10.3.2.2836
    03-31-16 08:40 PM
    You should read up on the case because that's not what they wanted. They weren't asking for just access to one phone, they were asking for Apple to create a backdoor for them to unlock phones when they wanted to.
    Actually they were OK with getting access to just one phone--this one. FBI director James Comey:

The relief we seek is limited and its value increasingly obsolete because the technology continues to evolve. We simply want the chance, with a search warrant, to try to guess the terrorist's passcode without the phone essentially self-destructing and without it taking a decade to guess correctly. We don't want to break anyone's encryption or set a master key loose on the land.
    And Apple is absolutely OK with giving the government access into phones. Here is what Apple's General Counsel Bruce Sewell had to say:

Should the FBI have the right to compel a company to produce a product it doesn't already make, to the FBI's exact specifications and for the FBI's use? The decisions should be made by you and your colleagues as representatives of the people, rather than through a warrant request based on a 220-year-old statute."
    In other words: Congress, pass a law and we will comply.

Also, for the armchair hackers still holding onto the NAND mirroring theory, that has been negated by Comey. But when it comes to Apple, anything not put out by the mothership is all just "publicly lying."
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-31-16 09:10 PM
    Again not sure how people think this would push anyone to buy a Blackberry.
    Who said anything about this would push people to buy a Blackberry? Jeez
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-31-16 10:06 PM
    Nobody said that in this thread.
    Nobody except him LOL
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-31-16 10:08 PM
    When the original post says "at some point security should become relevant" I think it's pretty clear that it's meant that security should become relevant to people so they'll run out and buy a Blackberry.
    That's one heck of a leap in logic, lol.

Security (and privacy) should be relevant to everyone, regardless of what phone they use. I hope we can all agree on that!
    greenpoise likes this.
    03-31-16 10:30 PM
    What's sad is that its ignored in here that Celebrite has already stated they can hack into any Blackberry.
    Show me the link to that information. Hey listen,there is a reason why Obama and Clinton use Blackberry and you know its not because of their apps.
    03-31-16 10:53 PM
    Also, for the armchair hackers still holding onto the NAND mirroring theory, that has been negated by Comey. But when it comes to Apple, anything not put out by the mothership is all just "publicly lying."
    No, it's more all the commentary by security forensic experts I have been reading. I wouldn't believe Comey if he opens his mouth to speak.
    04-01-16 12:39 AM

Only if they have the BlackBerry ID from BlackBerry...
    04-01-16 12:58 AM
    apparently now the FBI is not able to hack the iphone used in a murder investigation in Arkansas. I would not trust everything the FBI says at first.

http://www.cnet.com/news/fbi-unsure-...s-murder-case/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-01-16 02:51 AM
    Actually they were OK with getting access to just one phone--this one. FBI director James Comey:

And Apple is absolutely OK with giving the government access into phones. Here is what Apple's General Counsel Bruce Sewell had to say:

In other words: Congress, pass a law and we will comply.

I understand you hate Apple but come on.
    04-01-16 04:27 AM
    Show me the link to that information. Hey listen,there is a reason why Obama and Clinton use Blackberry and you know its not because of their apps.
    You're an adult, Google it. And please, the Obama line? Do you have any idea what his phone is? It's a Blackberry in name only. It doesn't run BBOS or BB10 and is massively modified.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-01-16 04:36 AM
    I would not trust everything the FBI says at first.
    This. So very much this.
    04-01-16 08:09 AM
    It is relevant in that most of us use a smartphone of some type. Before the San Bernadino incident, people had little worry of the FBI breaching the security of devices.

Most people have little reason to fear that the FBI is after their phone data, but yet they do not like knowing that the FBI can break in if they want to.
    In the US, we live in a country of laws. You are entitled to due process, but the government has the right to investigate you if it can show just cause. That includes your property and communications unless it is specifically "privileged" information, such as with your lawyer or spouse. Technology changes the mechanics a bit, but the issue is the same. You can't be compelled to speak or to provide "the contents of one's mind" such as a password, but law enforcement may legally obtain information relevant to a proper investigation.

Apple is taking a position that technology should make it easy for individuals to completely hide their communications from everyone else in a way that might be impossible to circumvent, even with a proper warrant in a case involving public safety or national security.

That has never happened before in human history, so it is very disruptive, possibly for both good and evil, depending on the circumstances.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 09:16 AM
    You're an adult, Google it. And please, the Obama line? Do you have any idea what his phone is? It's a Blackberry in name only. It doesn't run BBOS or BB10 and is massively modified.
    Why is it a BlackBerry? Why not android or IoS or Microsoft or whatever?
    04-01-16 09:23 AM
    The reason that I feel sad for the iPhone users is that they were so jubilant when Apple refused to help the FBI.

It must give them many sads that the FBI can open their phones regardless if Apple helps or not.
    Not just the FBI either.

Back to square one for apple.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    04-01-16 09:32 AM
    In the US, we live in a country of laws. You are entitled to due process, but the government has the right to investigate you if it can show just cause. That includes your property and communications unless it is specifically "privileged" information, such as with your lawyer or spouse. Technology changes the mechanics a bit, but the issue is the same. You can't be compelled to speak or to provide "the contents of one's mind" such as a password, but law enforcement may legally obtain information relevant to a proper investigation.

Apple is taking a position that technology should make it easy for individuals to completely hide their communications from everyone else in a way that might be impossible to circumvent, even with a proper warrant in a case involving public safety or national security.

That has never happened before in human history, so it is very disruptive, possibly for both good and evil, depending on the circumstances.

Posted via CB10
    What about the right to remain silent?
    Nobody's phone is a case of national security. Not even Obama 's.

Bombs and guns are. US doesn't ban those.

Better physical checks prevent weapons being used and bombs exploded.

A phone never threatened any government, nor the ideas in somebody's mind or in his/her phone.

Phones are becoming more and more parts of our mind and they will be even more so in the future. They contain our searches, our ideas, political opinions, health information (in some cases), banking information, and many other pieces of information that used to be only in people's mind.

Google and phone apps have helped most people remove that knowledge from their brains, taking advantage of our mental laziness.

Obviously there was no useful information on that phone. It was his business phone. He destroyed both his computer and his personal phone.

This is just political theater to push all out, pervasive surveillance of everyone on this planet.
    04-01-16 09:33 AM
    Apple is taking a position that technology should make it easy for individuals to
    No, Apple is taking the position that Apple should not be the gatekeeper of the personal property of individuals. They're trying to make it so they cannot be asked by anyone (be it a relative of a deceased person, or the U.S. Government, or a North Korean tyrant) to unlock a product that was purchased from them, because ideally it would be technically impossible for them to do so.
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-01-16 09:48 AM
    The reason that I feel sad for the iPhone users is that they were so jubilant when Apple refused to help the FBI.

It must give them many sads that the FBI can open their phones regardless if Apple helps or not.
    No, on the contrary. Cook had no control over what the FBI was ultimately going to do but he did stick to his own guns til the end. It is an eye opener that it can be done, tough, however nothing here is 100% secure. If there is a lock there has to be a key. If there's a key then the lock can be picked. We're talking about something man made here after all; not a mystery of the universe.

Now, Apple is going to beef up security even more.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-01-16 09:55 AM
100 1234