12-18-09 12:32 AM
30 12
tools
    Has anyone heard of what will eventually happen to the Nextel Direct Connect system?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 10:30 PM
    What's Nextel?

12-02-09 08:19 AM
    Does anybody know if Blackberry will come out with a newer version of the curve phone for Nextel Direct Connect subscribers?? They came out with a bunch of new phones for all the carriers, except for Nextel
    12-02-09 10:46 AM
    Nextel is here to stay for now since Sprint is starting to invest more into the IDEN technology. At worse case, the Nextel name will drop off the map and all users will fo to Sprint, but IDEN will still be around.
    12-02-09 01:37 PM
    Nextel needs to die already.

It's like hearing a dying animal in the weirds that can't be found.

I'm so glad no one uses them anymore.

That chirp was effing ridiculous.
    12-02-09 03:36 PM
    die IDEN! DIE!
    12-02-09 04:36 PM
    I used to have nextel for like 6-years loved it until sprint took over. Started getting messages a day later and sprint cs sucked as they didn't know muck about the nextel phones at the time (2003)but then I switched to big red and left the nextel phone in da hood.

12-06-09 10:35 PM
    I never used nextel so dont know whats new with them i thought they were done. I might be wrong to
    12-07-09 08:46 AM
    I loved Nextel until SMS started to become a main feature. The SMS, or lack
    thereof on IDEN sucks badly. The direct connect system still works good for what
    it was intended for. Companies that really need it.
    12-07-09 02:04 PM
    Nextel needs to go up in smoke already!
    12-07-09 02:04 PM
    They stole all of my high school money in my younger years... I was dumb and young, lol..... Damn Direct Connect!
    12-07-09 02:06 PM
    I can't STAND that annoying beep before the person's voice comes thru!
    12-07-09 02:55 PM
    nextel is still around, check the 8350i forums

also boost is coming in strong, and is one of the fastes growing cellular carrier. Since it offers $50 unlimited text,talk, web service. And with the introduction of the boostberry more people are flocking to the service..

which in turn makes tons more money for sprint

which in turn makes sprint invest more money into iden

which in turn expands nextel and boost...

I see only up from here!!!
    12-07-09 04:22 PM
    We finally moved our business off of iDen and onto Sprints network. It had finally gotten to the point where service was decreasing or stagnant. No additions were ever made and I had a lot of message and data issues with mine. They got rid of the powersource phones and I am not sure where they are going next. We got rid of our last Nextel about 2 weeks ago actually. I was the first to switch and everyone else followed suit in time.

12-08-09 12:32 AM
    wow... all the IDEN haters.... its funnie when i read post like this. ok so you dont like nextel IDEN... then why is at&t and verizon mocking the feature direct connect, they call it ptt, (puch to talk). sprint even brought out a ptt phone and call it the hibird, and now the renegade v950. the kicker here, not one of them can get there ptt to do what nextel IDEN did.

i have the 8350i and i dont have any problems with my phone because i always search for new software and down load my updates . with adobe now working with rim . i think this phone has come a long way . the only thing that sucks about this phone is, in my house i dont get bars, at times i do. other then that , my direct connect, mms, emails all go and come threw pretty fast.

I have to add something , and this goes for any phone or any network you are on,

your phone is only as good as you are. so if you now how to change your settings and what software you need , your phone will work wonders for you . I have the bolt browser on my phone, so i can watch you tube on my phone . i saw peple saying the 8350i cant do streaming video on this phone. then why can i.
    Last edited by babydoll123196; 12-09-09 at 10:14 PM. Reason: i didnt fi
    12-09-09 10:07 PM
    I can't STAND that annoying beep before the person's voice comes thru!
    Totally agree its veryannoying and i like your hat there Pkcable
    12-09-09 10:14 PM
    Nextel is too important to many companies. I had Nextel for about 7 years and then Sprint took over and it went down hill from there. I will say that my Nextel was working when the WTC went down. Nextel reall needs to get on the bandwagon with updated phones. The cellular/data side needs to go through Sprint and direct connect through iden this could possibly expand the direct connect which is really quite good.
    12-10-09 03:02 PM
    Nicely put Babydoll123196. All networks have bar/service problems some where at one point or another.
    12-10-09 04:37 PM
    Was a Nextel subscriber from 98-2004. Direct Connect is a phenominal feature, but the voice quality was terrible and they lack smart phones which are the future.
    12-10-09 04:50 PM
    I switched away from Nextel simply becase of hardware. I really miss the direct connect, that churp my be anoying but it is so nice to have when I am out on a site. I do not have to dial a number to find someone with a quick question or if someone need to ask me a queston. whatever happened to the plan of sprint and nextel becomeing one, with the sprint phones having the direct connect? if nextel came out with a phone like the tour and fast internet speeds I would switch back in a hart beat.
    Last edited by jskerutis; 12-10-09 at 04:59 PM.
    12-10-09 04:56 PM
    I have had nextel since 1995 or so and have loved the convenience of it. But the phones dont seem to get any better. I want one with some fun and useful features. I am very seriously considering getting an HTC Hero on sprint and keeping the 2 way feature only on the nextel. I tried a Droid on VZW for a few days and LOVED that phone. But i recieved too many complaints about not having two way, so i had to switch back.
    12-10-09 06:07 PM
    "Please hold while the Nextel subscriber you are calling is being located."

12-10-09 09:00 PM
    "Please hold while the Nextel subscriber you are calling is being located."

Now THAT made me laugh out loud. I use nextel at work every day. Sprint needs to come out with more hybrid devices using the Sprint network for phone and data, with direct connect using the IDEN network. The best of both worlds. We tried other PTT phones and they just dont come close to working as well as a nextel direct connect.
    12-11-09 12:07 AM
    Now THAT made me laugh out loud. I use nextel at work every day. Sprint needs to come out with more hybrid devices using the Sprint network for phone and data, with direct connect using the IDEN network. The best of both worlds. We tried other PTT phones and they just dont come close to working as well as a nextel direct connect.
    X2 on that!
    12-11-09 11:29 AM
    I was told that Nextel PTT system is getting worse because the Gov. Keeps taking over more bandwidth and squeezing them out.

12-11-09 03:15 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD