On a phone, which input method is the absolute fastest and most accurate way to type out an email?

physical keys
    swipe touch
    normal touch
    Swift touch
    voice to text
    03-19-14 08:17 AM
    Depends on the user. Some people swear by a physical keyboard while others (like myself) would never go back to one as I find a touchscreen phone to be much faster. As far as input method that would depend on the user and their preference.
    pantlesspenguin and 21stNow like this.
    03-19-14 08:30 AM
    Depends on the user. Some people swear by a physical keyboard while others (like myself) would never go back to one as I find a touchscreen phone to be much faster. As far as input method that would depend on the user and their preference.
    I completely agree. I know several that swear by swype, but I could never get the hang of it. For me, I learned to type by pressing keys (now tapping) and that's how I'm fastest. I don't really have the motivation to learn a different way since the way I'm used to works fine and I'm pretty fast and accurate with it.
    03-19-14 08:36 AM
    Either physical or the bb10 virtual keyboard. Both are pretty awesome.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 11:35 AM
    I agree that it depends on the user. Voice to text may be fast and accurate for some people but for others it can be very inaccurate, which then requires many corrections and slows the process down.

I prefer the Swype keyboard to any other virtual keyboards and couldn't use a physical keyboard on a phone for anything longer than a three-word response.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-19-14 11:42 AM
    I agree that it depends on the user. Voice to text may be fast and accurate for some people but for others it can be very inaccurate, which then requires many corrections and slows the process down.

I prefer the Swype keyboard to any other virtual keyboards and couldn't use a physical keyboard on a phone for anything longer than a three-word response.
    Agreed about voice to text. For me it's accurate, but I wouldn't want to use it for long periods of time, like dictating emails, longer texts, or forum posts. I use it for setting alarms/reminders and calendar events, but that's about it.
    03-19-14 12:34 PM
    SwiftKey. I rarely have to type more than 2 letters per word.
    03-19-14 12:42 PM
    Agreed depends on user - though im another one positing swiftkey.

Sent from Tapatalk
    03-19-14 01:11 PM
    Back in the day of BBOS, I was an auto-text power user, with a dictionary of abbreviations of about 500 of the most commonly used English words. It was a private shorthand, and using this I could really fly when entering text. Even a savings of a single keystroke on high-frequency words really adds up over the course of a lengthy email.

When I tried Swype on Android, at first I found it impossibly awkward. I soon learned that the "secret" to Swype is like the "secret" of the BB10 keyboard: You just have to trust it, don't try to be too accurate, and just keep going. Let it do it's thing. Now I'm just about as fast on Swype as I ever was on a BB keyboard, probably faster.

I think actual smartphone text entry speed records have all been set by people using Swype or one of its imitators.

This is why, incidentally, I think it's important for BB10 to have such an option.
    03-19-14 02:50 PM
    I think while physical keyboard are nice to use, the virtual keyboard combined with swiftkeys is much faster. As I am typing this out on my q10 the speed is there but from the videos I see, slinging the words out of the keyboard seems faster.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 05:07 PM
    Apparently smartphone with hardware keyboards are fastest.

Grace Pak (USA) typed a prescribed 264-character text on a QWERTY mobile phone in 56.57 sec at Abington Junior High School in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, USA, on 8 June 2011.

The text was: The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell (UK), who filed his patent for the telephone on 14 February 1876 at the New York Patent Office, USA. The first intelligible call occurred in March 1876 in Boston, Massachusetts, when Bell phoned his assistant in a nearby room and said 'Come here Watson, I want you.'
    03-19-14 07:03 PM
    Bluetooth/USB connected full-size external keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 07:07 PM
    Mind control is fastest.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-19-14 07:22 PM