Yesterday i started a thread in the 9900 forum:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...it-715885-new/

My theory started when I bought my PlayBook, at first I thought it was really fast, soon though, when you look past transitions you realize it's actually a lot slower then the 9900

Since then I put it against an iphone 3gs and a dual core Android and surprise surprise my 9900 is faster then both to open apps from completely closed.

And since then nobody actually came to disprove my theory so is the 9900 really the fastest smartphone to open apps?
    04-13-12 09:48 AM
    "shrugs" Evernote & score mobile loads slower when compared to my 4s.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 09:55 AM
    "shrugs" Evernote & score mobile loads slower when compared to my 4s.

What about native apps, faacebook, twitter, contacts, emails, calendar? Etc

PS, were the apps closed from the multitasking screen?
    04-13-12 09:58 AM
    What about native apps, faacebook, twitter, contacts, emails, calendar? Etc

PS, were the apps closed from the multitasking screen?
    The native apps load fast...Honestly I can't tell the difference between both platforms....when it come to 3rd party apps my iPhone usually smokes the bold. Which isn't a big deal...I hate using Evernote on the bold because it either freezes or takes forever to load/sync.

04-13-12 10:03 AM
    The native apps load fast...Honestly I can't tell the difference between both platforms....when it come to 3rd party apps my iPhone usually smokes the bold. Which isn't a big deal...I hate using Evernote on the bold because it either freezes or takes forever to load/sync.

Edit- the only third party app i had in common with the iphone3gs was Vopium and by the time the iphone finished loading it i had it loaded on my 9900 and checked the balance(it's a voip type of app)

If you have the time do a test and which one is faster, no matter how close. I would do it but I don't have any at hand. Point is though BB is the supposedly slow one when in fact it's very fast, it only looks slow due the lack of "fast" transition screens.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-13-12 at 10:10 AM.
    04-13-12 10:08 AM
    unless the difference is like 30 seconds, i don't think it really matters sorry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 10:50 AM
    unless the difference is like 30 seconds, i don't think it really matters sorry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    It matters to me, btw PlayBook opens Facebook at least 10 seconds slower vs 9900
    04-13-12 10:59 AM
    All my native apps open instantly on my Galaxy Nexus. The same goes for the majority of the third-party apps unless they need extra time to load due to size (like a game).
    04-13-12 11:08 AM
    All my native apps open instantly on my Galaxy Nexus. The same goes for the majority of the third-party apps unless they need extra time to load due to size (like a game).
    Lol, that's what my Android mate said yet when we tried oppening contacts it took his phone 3 seconds to fully load them. I told him looks like my phone is more "instant" then yours lol(mine takes not even a second)
    04-13-12 11:15 AM
    Lol, that's what my Android mate said yet when we tried oppening contacts it took his phone 3 seconds to fully load them. I told him looks like my phone is more "instant" then yours lol(mine takes not even a second)
    When I press the "people" icon (contacts), it is instantly open. What device does your friend have? Is he on ICS? If not, having dual core really doesn't mean that much since ICS is optimized for multicore devices and previous versions of Android are not (besides honeycomb which is for tablets only).
    04-13-12 11:21 AM
    When I press the "people" icon (contacts), it is instantly open. What device does your friend have? Is he on ICS? If not, having dual core really doesn't mean that much since ICS is optimized for multicore devices and previous versions of Android are not (besides honeycomb which is for tablets only).
    He has an LG Optimus dual core and I don't know what OS he's on but it's def not ICS.

Btw, did you close the apps from the backrgoud first? As far as I know they're left sleeping on both Android and IOS after you open them once, the test has to be with them closed, from background everything's instant.
    04-13-12 11:25 AM
    He has an LG Optimus dual core and I don't know what OS he's on but it's def not ICS.

Btw, did you close the apps from the backrgoud first? As far as I know they're left sleeping on both Android and IOS after you open them once, the test has to be with them closed, from background everything's instant.
    Yea, ICS makes a big difference.

I just restarted my phone because I did a backup, so no apps where open. I opened the "people" app when the device was loading all of the apps I have set to load on startup. It opened instantly while I had about 6 other apps opening as well, my weather widget updating, my sports widgets loading the scores and weatherbug opening in the background as well. This is also while the device grabs a data connection right when the device starts up.
    04-13-12 11:40 AM
    Yea, ICS makes a big difference.

I just restarted my phone because I did a backup, so no apps where open. I opened the "people" app when the device was loading all of the apps I have set to load on startup. It opened instantly while I had about 6 other apps opening as well, my weather widget updating, my sports widgets loading the scores and weatherbug opening in the background as well. This is also while the device grabs a data connection right when the device starts up.
    Ok, so that's the same, what other apps can you try that we have in common? Do you use Twitter/Facebook/Dropbox?
    04-13-12 11:49 AM
    Ok, so that's the same, what other apps can you try that we have in common? Do you use Twitter/Facebook/Dropbox?
    No I don't have twitter or facebook. I don't use dropbox but I do use Box.

You have Pandora? Opens instantly for me...besides the fact that is has to load/sign in right when the app starts to load your stations, but the app itself opens instantly.

Is Pulse available for BB? Opens instantly as well but does the same thing as Pandora, signs in and loads my feeds.

Ookla speed test? Instant.
    04-13-12 12:45 PM
    No I don't have twitter or facebook. I don't use dropbox but I do use Box.

You have Pandora? Opens instantly for me...besides the fact that is has to load/sign in right when the app starts to load your stations, but the app itself opens instantly.

Is Pulse available for BB? Opens instantly as well but does the same thing as Pandora, signs in and loads my feeds.

Ookla speed test? Instant.
    None of those, Pandora is NA only as far as I know.
    I just tried Facebook app on my sisterinlaw's 4S and the 9900 was a lot faster, for a start the 9900 opens instantly to a cached app and then updates, the 4s shows you a spinning circle until it refreshes.

Calendar and contacts are all instant, can't tell the difference.
    04-13-12 12:53 PM
    It matters to me
    Why? What difference does it make whether a phone takes 1 second or 3 seconds to load an app?

"My phone opens apps 2.2 seconds faster then yours!"

I don't see the relevance here
    04-13-12 01:28 PM
    None of those, Pandora is NA only as far as I know.
    I just tried Facebook app on my sisterinlaw's 4S and the 9900 was a lot faster, for a start the 9900 opens instantly to a cached app and then updates, the 4s shows you a spinning circle until it refreshes.

Calendar and contacts are all instant, can't tell the difference.
    Yea I can't comment on facebook because I don't use it. I do however know that a lot of my friends don't even open the facebook app on their Android devices and just post through the widget.
    04-13-12 01:31 PM
    Why? What difference does it make whether a phone takes 1 second or 3 seconds to load an app?

I think his response is going to be something along the lines of "those seconds add up".

Bel and I use to have discussions about touchscreen animations and how they take longer to get things done over time. The transitions and whatnot. My point was it takes maybe an extra half second to switch screens which is not that big of a deal (and animations can be turned off), and his point was over time, those seconds add up to hours lost from watching transitions.
    04-13-12 01:35 PM
    I think his response is going to be something along the lines of "those seconds add up".

Bel and I use to have discussions about touchscreen animations and how they take longer to get things done over time. The transitions and whatnot. My point was it takes maybe an extra half second to switch screens which is not that big of a deal (and animations can be turned off), and his point was over time, those seconds add up to hours lost from watching transitions.
    Talk about nit picking
    04-13-12 01:37 PM
    Talk about nit picking
    That's what I said.

But for those who are really worried about lost time, he has a point (and extremely technical point). Those people can go ahead and turn those transitions off though so it's a non issue (if you are using an Android device, I don't believe the animations can be turned off on the iPhone, I don't have mine on me).
    04-13-12 01:41 PM

I think the point here is that BB's -- even the newest ones -- have been panned for being outdated with both OS and hardware, ergo slow and underperforming when compared to the competition, when in fact they are at least as fast opening apps and other activities as the supposedly superior competitors.
    04-13-12 01:57 PM

Yep... Belfast can do this ALL day. Trust me... LOL!

Waiting for the inevitable wisecrack about where the apps to be opened so quickly actually are...
    04-13-12 02:10 PM
    I think the point here is that BB's -- even the newest ones -- have been panned for being outdated with both OS and hardware, ergo slow and underperforming when compared to the competition, when in fact they are at least as fast opening apps and other activities as the supposedly superior competitors.
    This is exactly my point, the supposedly slow and outdated hardware is just as fast as the high end competition and in some cases even faster.

But the lack of fancy transitions make it look slower, even compared to the PlayBook. I did not expect the 9900 to be so much faster then it.
    04-13-12 02:41 PM

In response to that, what actually matters more than the time spent opening applications is the time spent using that application until closed. Application and ui efficiency is what really matters oppossed to the incremental & irrelevant microseconds of app animations. That, and data loading speeds. As long as you can get everything done in a timely matter, and go about your day constructively, these microseconds don't matter & adding them up to a conclusive time is pointless. Although I still do get the point of this thread.

Sent via tapatalk using the Samsung Galaxy Note
    04-13-12 02:54 PM
    Because apps UI on iOS/Android and BBOS are way difference.
    For example Facebook and Path apps on iOS has slide panel with completed animation, panel move with your finger and background panel rendered all the time, etc... Even the text field layout is more detail.

Apps on BBOS just dont have that level of UI/UX. It is like compared SNES games load time with Skyrim load times.
    04-13-12 03:56 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD