1XEV is kinda like 3G for cdma phones and 3G is usually shown on gsm phones. So which would be faster between 1xev and edge?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 10:48 AM
    1XEV is 3g.. Here in Canada bell runs on 3.5 g while Rogers has some phones on 3g like blackberries but most run on edge.. 1XEV is definitely faster imo

08-30-09 10:52 AM
    1X is closer to EDGE speeds. 1XEV is closer to 3G on GSM.
    08-30-09 11:10 AM
    Yep 1X and EDGE then theres 1XEV and 3G
    08-30-09 11:47 AM
    well actually the comparison is was not 1X but 1xev, let me clarify. I'll list the different cell phone technologies from slowest to fasters.

CDMA: 1X >>> 1xev >>> 1XEV
    GSM: edge >>> 3G

That being said is "1xev" faster than "edge"?
    08-30-09 09:35 PM
    well actually the comparison is was not 1X but 1xev, let me clarify. I'll list the different cell phone technologies from slowest to fasters.

Not sure you understand the way cdma works. When a phone says 1xev, it means that an EV data connections is available, but the phone is not connected to it. If it says 1XEV it means that you are connected to the EV network. They aren't different signals or speeds.
    08-30-09 09:49 PM
    Isn't 3G just 3rd generation and isn't 1xev/1XEV considered 3G? I always thought EDGE was the GSM version of 3G and 1XEV was the CDMA version of 3G. And where does EVDO fit into this is that the same as 1xev? I thought I understood this now I'm confused

08-30-09 09:58 PM
    EDGE Is 2G well 2.5G , 3G is 3G... on GSM

CDMA = 1X= like EDGE then 1XEV which is 3G, as he said the 1xev means you are not using it, but it is available.
    08-30-09 10:04 PM
    what he said.. ^^^
    08-30-09 10:06 PM
    Not sure you understand the way cdma works. When a phone says 1xev, it means that an EV data connections is available, but the phone is not connected to it. If it says 1XEV it means that you are connected to the EV network. They aren't different signals or speeds.
    Lowercase "ev" = EVDO Rev.0 and capital "EV" = EVDO Rev.A.
    This is correct. They are both different stages in the EVDO technology.

08-30-09 10:53 PM
    Anything lowercase means you are NOT connected to data.....1xev you have NOT connected.....

edge: not connected

1XEV connected at or near 3G speed
    EDGE connected at or near 2.5 2.75 G

I'm 100% sure of these facts

08-30-09 10:59 PM
    wow...
    Not sure I understand the way cdma works
    kinda confused now...
    someone explain those in detail ???
    08-30-09 11:32 PM
    CDMA:

D - Voice Only
    1x - Voice Only, no data
    1X - Voice, Data(up to 144kbps)
    1xev - Voice Only, no Data
    1XEV - Voice, Data(3G speeds up to 3.1Mbps with Rev.A)

GSM:

GSM - Voice Only
    gprs - Voice only, No data
    GPRS - Voice, Data up to ~60kbps
    edge - Voice Only, No data
    EDGE - Voice, Data up to 450kbps(depending on device model, network conditions, average speeds are ~130kbps)
    3G - Voice, Data(simultaneous) up to 7.2Mbps(theoretical)

You can receive 1XEV with both Rev.0 and Rev.A. Depends on the device and network equipment. Rev.A is much faster on upload then Rev.0.
    08-30-09 11:51 PM
    ^^^^^ Yes, correct, and this is why AT&T Claims they have the fastest 3G available because its within these facts that they can make it faster. I just wanted to let people know that too.
    08-31-09 12:17 AM
    To answer the OP's question:

EDGE is faster than 1xev... mostly because well, EDGE gets the data in, and 1xev is voice only. I know this because where I sit, I get this fairly often... and no, I don't get any data.
    08-31-09 12:29 AM
    Ahhh ok, so the end result is EDGE is faster than 1xev? Is there a difference between edge and EDGE?

08-31-09 08:44 AM
    EDGE is only faster the 1xev because 1xev means there is no data connection. 1xev is the same circumstance as edge (lower case).

Lower case = no data connection.

So saying EDGE is faster the 1xev is only true because the data connection is not active on the CDMA phone. edge is just as fast as 1xev since data is turned off on both. Using the same analogy, 1X and 1XEV are both faster than edge.

From a CDMAS to GSM standpoint. You have to look at upper-case lettering.

EDGE = 1X
    3G = 1XEV
    08-31-09 09:08 AM
    CDMA:

D - Voice Only
    1x - Voice Only, no data

GSM:

GSM - Voice Only
    EDGE - Voice, Data up to 450kbps(depending on device model, network conditions, average speeds are ~130kbps)

You can receive 1XEV with both Rev.0 and Rev.A. Depends on the device and network equipment. Rev.A is much faster on upload then Rev.0.
    My Curve 8330 says "3G CDMA" on the back, how does that fit in to this?
    08-31-09 10:33 AM
    EDGE is only faster the 1xev because 1xev means there is no data connection. 1xev is the same circumstance as edge (lower case).

Lower case = no data connection.

So saying EDGE is faster the 1xev is only true because the data connection is not active on the CDMA phone. edge is just as fast as 1xev since data is turned off on both. Using the same analogy, 1X and 1XEV are both faster than edge.

From a CDMAS to GSM standpoint. You have to look at upper-case lettering.

EDGE = 1X
    3G = 1XEV

Exactly.....why are people putting out bad info......1xev is NO CONNECTION!!!!!!
    08-31-09 11:03 AM
    Bottom line: If it's EDGE is faster than 1x, 1ex & d as all three all produce voice.
    08-31-09 11:13 AM
    1XEV is CDMA's version of 3G. 3G = 3rd generation. Most people associate 3G with GSM as att has pushed it very heavily. Your curve 8330 is evdo rev.0.

08-31-09 11:15 AM
    3G CDMA is 1XEV, meaning capable of 3G speeds on Verizon/Sprint (if lowercase, then no data).

No simultaneous voice and data on CDMA regardless.
    08-31-09 11:17 AM
    Because, it is a 3G connection and it is CDMA cell phone technology. 3G just means 3rd Generation.

Let me try to finish this thread after all.

Like other users have posted

CDMA:

D - Voice Only
    1x - Voice Only, no data

GSM:

GSM - Voice Only

^ the guy who posted that is RIGHT, now other questions have been asked...

1X is at EDGE SPEEDS.

1XEV is at 3G SPEEDS (GSM) (for now, the GSM 3G version can still beat it.)

so 1X is slower then 3G.

When you see 1x, 1xev, edge, that means Voice is Avalible, data is not being used. If you where to connect to the browser in any of those situations you would most likely see them change to 1X, or 1XEV, or EDGE.

Now the 3G part, usually on phones 3G always shows up as I just posted it because it supports simultaneous Voice/ and Data at the same time. So that means they can both can be used, you can use both of them at the same time. Now some people have seen 3g on there phone which either means, 1. You blocked DATA usage on that line in the account, 2. Data is not available in your area, or 3. sometimes you just lost service and it's being weird... (you usually see the call failed messages after this).

Hopefully I went through everything, I am pretty sure on this information. If I did make a mistake please correct me anyone.
    Last edited by Chaldo; 08-31-09 at 11:21 AM.
    08-31-09 11:17 AM
    1XEV hands down!
    08-31-09 11:20 AM
    1XEV is kinda like 3G for cdma phones and 3G is usually shown on gsm phones. So which would be faster between 1xev and edge?
    CDMA networks had 3G technology (EVDO) long before GSM networks did. EVDO IS 3G technology and is a lot faster than GSM 3G.

I think data speed is a 50/50 situation (50% network, 50% technology). For instance, Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA/EVDO networks, but Sprint's data speeds are way faster than Verizon's.

Here, read this article from BGR: Carrier Wars: Sprint speed test results : Boy Genius Report
    08-31-09 11:22 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD