Since the probability of a new licencee to produce BlackBerry-branded phones for the global market is practically zero (let's be realistic), I would think that the only way to make money of any BlackBerry phone patents would be to license out the BlackBerry keyboard. And if they go down that route, then I would like to dream that Samsung is the party willing to grab that BlackBerry patent so that they can create a line of their highly successful Galaxy phones with the addition of a BlackBerry keyboard!

Samsung has the production scale, the money, the PR, the brand name, the everything to take a serious shot at another era of mobile phones with a physical keyboard.

Who is dreaming with me!?
    herbersh, antonrr, sgtpepr and 1 others like this.
    03-01-20 05:28 AM
    I would like nothing more.

The day something like that were to happen, is the day my LE would start collecting dust in a closet as a backup device.
    MB64 likes this.
    03-01-20 07:59 AM
    Would be magic but sadly never gonna happen.
    03-01-20 05:02 PM
    I agree that would be the best option for PKB fans, even better than an TCL KEY3....

But if Samsung taught there was a PKB market...
    03-02-20 03:10 PM
    Samsung has in the past made plenty of PKB phones. They don't make them today because there's no market (meaning: 100k or less per year, which for Samsung is the same as zero). Even if that wasn't the case, and there was data to suggest that the PKB market was 1M devices per year, it's almost certain that the difference in sales between a generic Samsung PKB and a licensed BB-style PKB would be far smaller than the cost of the licensing would ever justify.

But dreams are cheap, so feel free to dream if you like.
    John Albert and Terry Zanger like this.
    03-02-20 04:39 PM
    Samsung has in the past made plenty of PKB phones. They don't make them today because there's no market (meaning: 100k or less per year, which for Samsung is the same as zero). Even if that wasn't the case, and there was data to suggest that the PKB market was 1M devices per year, it's almost certain that the difference in sales between a generic Samsung PKB and a licensed BB-style PKB would be far smaller than the cost of the licensing would ever justify.

No, a Samsung PKB device would sell far more than 100k a year, if it has the same carrier/retailer support as their S/Note lines of phone.

Enough with this blatant pessimism about the PKB.

Samsung has enormous marketing power and great relations with just about every carrier/retailer worldwide.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-02-20 06:12 PM
    Why would you imagine such a phone would enjoy the same level of support as an S/Note, which are flagships that sell in excess of 20M each, annually? If such a phone was made, it would get support commensurate with the level of sales it was likely to generate.

The S and Note are not only the most profitable devices that Samsung makes, but they also enjoy the majority of Samsung's smartphone marketing budget. You don't see tons of ads about Samsung's A-series, much less the J-series, even though those still sell in good volume, because they generate relatively far less in profit.

You also wouldn't get an S-class (i.e., flagship) PKB from Samsung - you'd get a mid-grade phone like the A-series - just like TCL made with the Key series. That's because flagship buyers' priorities are very well known by manufacturers - it's their most important market segment and where the majority of their profits come from, so it's incredibly important that they understand the people in this market, lest they lose them to a competitor - and flagship buyers are not clamoring for PKB phones.

This is all academic anyway - Samsung is very unlikely to make a PKB phone at all - but if they did, they'd just use their own tech and not license the PKB from BB or anyone else. Why pay royalties, and accept other restrictions and limitations, if you don't have to? Samsung is big enough that they don't have to.
    John Albert likes this.
    03-02-20 09:41 PM
    Ah the Troy honours this fantasy thread with his unrivaled wisdom!

Of course, I am happily dreaming away, because I am currently left without a proper alternative to my current KEY1.

Having said that, I think it is good to be honest in dreams as well. So yes, Samsung has made PKB phones in the past, but let's face it: they sucked! These PKB never even came close to the BlackBerry PKB. Even their current, relatively recent PKB cover wasn't great. Choosing to use a BlackBerry PKB would definitely add a quality improvement - so there is a reason to look beyond their own products.

In addition, BlackBerry would have to be an enthusiastic and supporting partner where they realise that they are playing the long-term game (unused patent vs trying to rejuvinate the PKB market), so perhaps they can be modest with regard to the royalties for an initial term - especially since it doesn't carry any risk for BlackBerry.

Another thing to consider is that Samsung is searching for a new gimmick, why else create foldable phones? I am sure the costs associated with creating the Samsung folds haven't been insignificant either. Perhaps another way would be to go retro - and create the modern day PKB killer phone. Especially since there is no real and practical alternative. The F(x)tec Pro1 has several concerns regarding PKB quality, the KEY2 is unlikely to receive both OS upgrades as security updates and the Cosmo Communicator is even more niche than the competition!

I realise that this will not come to pass, but indulge me - for I am lost and the future looks bleak.
    03-03-20 02:20 AM
    https://www.thinkgsm.com/samsung-galaxy-o-oxygen/
    https://thetechreviewer.com/tech-new...galaxy-oxygen/
    Let's have a look about this fake prototype floating around since some months
    03-03-20 08:59 AM
    https://www.thinkgsm.com/samsung-galaxy-o-oxygen/
    https://thetechreviewer.com/tech-new...galaxy-oxygen/
    Let's have a look about this fake prototype floating around since some months
    I know few here would want to see another horizontal slider... but I suspect there are more consumers that once used a Samsung dumb phone with a horizontal slider than ever touched a vertical PKB.

If Samsung were in the mind to go retro, that might be the one with the higher appeal.

But still in dreamland.
    03-03-20 10:13 AM
    I had both the Blackjack and Blackjack II on AT&T eons ago. I’m pretty certain sales data from back then gives them strong predictors for and PKB future demand. I suspect there’s just no reason to cannibalize what they feel are VKB sales in the bag and no reason to risk damage to strong positive image brand wise. The devices were succeeded by the Jack and the Epix but VKB running Windows Phone OS quickly displaced the PKB candybar form. I don’t see enough retro nostalgia to bring it back.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 03-03-20 at 11:09 AM.
    03-03-20 10:57 AM
    I know few here would want to see another horizontal slider... but I suspect there are more consumers that once used a Samsung dumb phone with a horizontal slider than ever touched a vertical PKB.

If Samsung were in the mind to go retro, that might be the one with the higher appeal.

But still in dreamland.
    I remember the slider of yesteryear - just don't see how it transports to a 6' screen device. How can typing on such a keyboard layout be practical?

Posted from my P'9983
    03-03-20 01:18 PM

I believe that the reason Samsung isn't making a Galaxy with a PKB isn't because there's no market for it, the reason is because BlackBerry has a Patent for it, to prove my point you can check out the Galaxy Folder, it's a Galaxy device that's a flip phone with a numeric keyboard and Samsung even released 2 models of it, so I believe that a Galaxy with a PKB will sell far more more then a Galaxy flip phone, and if that was worth it 2 models then the reason that we don't have yet a Galaxy with a PKB isn't because there's no demand for it.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 09:34 AM
    Apple is giving a portion of its base and the world nostalgia in a '14 form factor with all the latest SOC and internals. It has bezels, a fingerprint reader, smaller form factor and less than '5 in screen. I predict it will be close too if not the number one selling device of '20. Now since we are dreaming let's suppose BlackBerry (not TCL) took all it has learned and released a BlackBerry Classic '2020. Same form factor of the '14 BlackBerry Classic with a 865 chip, camera sensor from KeyOne/Pixel (with ability to use the Google camera API) Android 10 and guarantee of four years OS and security patches for 399. Would that sell?
    04-21-20 10:21 AM
    Apple is giving a portion of its base and the world nostalgia in a '14 form factor with all the latest SOC and internals. It has bezels, a fingerprint reader, smaller form factor and less than '5 in screen. I predict it will be close too if not the number one selling device of '20. Now since we are dreaming let's suppose BlackBerry (not TCL) took all it has learned and released a BlackBerry Classic '2020. Same form factor of the '14 BlackBerry Classic with a 865 chip, camera sensor from KeyOne/Pixel (with ability to use the Google camera API) Android 10 and guarantee of four years OS and security patches for 399. Would that sell?
    Not anywhere close to numbers it would cost to build and hope for any profit. It would sell worse than KEYone for a multitude of 2020 reasons. I wish that wasn't the case but it's just how things have evolved.

Posted via CB10
    John Albert likes this.
    04-21-20 10:52 AM
    Not anywhere close to numbers it would cost to build and hope for any profit. It would sell worse than KEYone for a multitude of 2020 reasons. I wish that wasn't the case but it's just how things have evolved.

Posted via CB10
    This sounds like some pundits that say a '14 designed iPhone with a 4.8 in screen won't sell either.

There is a HUGE base of people that cut their teeth on a PKB and BlackBerry and loved them (except for the lack of apps when that trend took off)

Much like the base of people that really DON'T prefer a larger mobile device.
    04-21-20 10:59 AM
    This sounds like some pundits that say a '14 designed iPhone with a 4.8 in screen won't sell either.

There is a HUGE base of people that cut their teeth on a PKB and BlackBerry and loved them (except for the lack of apps when that trend took off)

Much like the base of people that really DON'T prefer a larger mobile device.
    The difference is the starting point of prospective customers. Start by eliminating people that only really own a single active device and making payments on that phone. All of us here are phone fans (if that's a term) so we'd not be the best perspective to evaluate demographics. Think of all our sons and daughters in teens and twenties. Would it be a primary choice? I'll bet even the SE2 will sell more as starter phone over nostalgia or use case.

Side note.....

This lack of club season is killing me.....

All good on the left coast?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 11:09 AM
    The difference is the starting point of prospective customers. Start by eliminating people that only really own a single active device and making payments on that phone. All of us here are phone fans (if that's a term) so we'd not be the best perspective to evaluate demographics. Think of all our sons and daughters in teens and twenties. Would it be a primary choice? I'll bet even the SE2 will sell more as starter phone over nostalgia or use case.

Side note.....

This lack of club season is killing me.....

All good on the left coast?

Posted via CB10
    Man I am at my wits end!!! I miss my girls and U14 team SO BADLY!! The Zoom sessions I set up just reaffirm it. All of them and us want to practice and play. All spring tournaments have been cancelled and spring league is in jeapordy of being cancelled in entirety. My club American River Futbol Club or ARFC has a meeting with NorCal this Thursday (which will be based on info from US Soccer). My fingers are crossed this all ends soon. Our 30 year business (Auto Appraisal) has also been greatly affected. As has our kids competitive swim season. I/we, like many are very active outgoing family. We are anxiously awaiting normalcy.

Oh and they cancelled the school year here prematurely so that blows. Our daughter is in a IB program and many kids are going in various directions for HS so she is REALLY, REALLY missing her classmates. Like all I am certain.

Hope all is well with you and yours!!
    04-21-20 11:47 AM
    I believe that the reason Samsung isn't making a Galaxy with a PKB isn't because there's no market for it, the reason is because BlackBerry has a Patent for it, to prove my point you can check out the Galaxy Folder, it's a Galaxy device that's a flip phone with a numeric keyboard and Samsung even released 2 models of it, so I believe that a Galaxy with a PKB will sell far more more then a Galaxy flip phone, and if that was worth it 2 models then the reason that we don't have yet a Galaxy with a PKB isn't because there's no demand for it.
    BB does NOT own patents that prohibit anyone else from making a PKB phone - they merely own patents on a few specific features, such as sculpted keys. Samsung has produced PKB smartphones in the past, just like everyone else that's been around since before the iPhone.

And when we talk about having "a market", that doesn't mean 10,000 people, it means 2+M people, all of whom will buy a new phone every 2 years, or 1M buyers per year. Also, these would need to be people who aren't already Samsung buyers, because it makes no sense to spend extra money to poach your own users. Finally, these people would need to be willing to pay a premium price for the PKB, because PKBs are more expensive to make and much more expensive to service, because there's a lot more that can go wrong - and that money needs to come from someplace.

Clearly, Samsung doesn't see THAT market as existing, and so they won't be making any PKB phones. They'll leave that "market" to the Kickstarter projects.
    04-21-20 02:52 PM
    While looking for something else I found this little Samsung that my wife used to use. They can make em, they just don't see a reason to.
    Attached Thumbnails Fantasy: the Samsung Galaxy Black!-img_20200420_1532125.jpg  
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-21-20 10:39 PM