I just received an interesting job offer in my inbox from Facebook, this was the introduction...

Quality Assurance Lead

Facebook was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.
    Facebook is scaling out a free voice calling product that will revolutionize how people connect and use their smartphones. Our vision is to connect over a billion people by voice and we're growing incredibly fast.
    When I called to inform about it, they said it's already in the works and they'll basically release a VOIP client through the Facebook app and in a later stage roll it out as a web VOIP client through Facebook.com

Wonder how this will stack up against BBM. Enterprise would be hard to penetrate for Facebook as a lot of companies are blocking access to it but then again VOIP in enterprise isn't dominated by BlackBerry either.
    07-04-14 08:51 AM
    Lately, I've been wondering if the masses of FB users will _ever_ begin to question whether there's a better way to communicate than to sell one's soul to Zuckerberg's machine. >sigh<

But isn't also ridiculous that Facebook can, with a straight face, declare their VOIP client will "revolutionize" smartphone use..?

Facebook, Samsung, and Apple -- they all seem to be doing what people have been screaming for BlackBerry to do since BlackBerry 10 hit the streets: Marketing. The facts don't matter if no one knows the facts.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    07-04-14 11:48 AM
    My mom showed me this 2-3 weeks back, thought it was rolled out to everyone
    Think it was buried somewhere in the actual app or the Messenger app

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 12:01 PM
    I have yet to use any VOIP app on mobile devices that is reliable and have clear sound.
    The cable VOIP reliability is better but the sound quality is still subpar.
    The mobile VOIP technology is not ready for consumer use let alone enterprise.
    07-04-14 01:29 PM
    I have yet to use any VOIP app on mobile devices that is reliable and have clear sound.
    The cable VOIP reliability is better but the sound quality is still subpar.
    The mobile VOIP technology is not ready for consumer use let alone enterprise.
    Ever tried BBM Voice?
    07-04-14 02:11 PM
    Ever tried BBM Voice?
    Yes. It too suffer reliability issue caused by network performance. Plus you can't make calls to non BBM devices (ie land lines, cell phones etc).
    07-04-14 03:11 PM