This was posted in another thread:

Facebook is about to make everyone use the standalone Messenger app

I realize this has been coming for a while, but it's about to be a reality. At this time, there's no BB10 FB Messenger app; there's only the service within the FB app. It may be that that service will stop working within a few days. The Android app works, I believe, but without Hub integration or notifications, unless left open.

This won't affect me very much, but I wonder how much it will affect the BB10 user base in general.

Possibly BlackBerry, having seen this coming, has a native Messenger app waiting for the moment.

Or not.
    07-29-14 12:28 PM
    Interesting. Personally have removed such app off my Android, now I have to put it back!

Sent from my Asus ZenFone 5 via Tapatalk Pro
    07-29-14 12:32 PM
    who cares?! it doesn't affect me either. BBM all the way.
    acovey likes this.
    07-29-14 12:38 PM

I realize this has been coming for a while, but it's about to be a reality. At this time, there's no BB10 FB Messenger app; there's only the service within the FB app. It may be that that service will stop working within a few days. The Android app works, I believe, but without Hub integration or notifications, unless left open.

This won't affect me very much, but I wonder how much it will affect the BB10 user base in general.

Possibly BlackBerry, having seen this coming, has a native Messenger app waiting for the moment.

Or not.
    Just dont update your current fb app. Haha. Or use nemory's messenger app. Has lot of positive reviews.

Posted via My Awesome Passport | @angelesrobby
    07-29-14 12:41 PM
    Am I missing something here?

Facebook Messenger to be standalone only. Effect on BlackBerry?-img_20140729_193845.png

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:41 PM
    The current Facebook messenger app is junk anyway as far as messaging goes. Nemory's app is ok but missing lots of things and especially missing headless integration using push messages
    07-29-14 12:45 PM
    Would people seriously pay for a FB messenger app??? And then from a 3rd party company?

Posted via CB10
    Rafael Angeles likes this.
    07-29-14 12:45 PM
    We'll have to wait and see what BlackBerry decides to do about this since they are the ones that make the Facebook app for BB10
    07-29-14 12:53 PM
    I don't do Facebook or FB messenger so I don't know lol. There is a free version but I assume lesser functionality.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3253
    07-29-14 12:54 PM
    Would people seriously pay for a FB messenger app??? And then from a 3rd party company?

Posted via CB10
    There is a free version of Nemory's app Messenger for Facebook (Lite) as well a couple of other 3rd Party Facebook Messenger apps in BlackBerry World for free.
    07-29-14 12:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Make fb make a native messenger app then. That's what devs are for, to create apps, if you don't want it don't get it.

If your good at something, never do it for free. - Joker

07-29-14 12:56 PM
    There is another native FB messenger app in development by rickie8649 which will be completely free . The Dev is very promising and asking for features we want in app.Links below
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=943918?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:57 PM
    I don't do Facebook or FB messenger so I don't know lol. There is a free version but I assume lesser functionality.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3253
    It has ads.

07-29-14 12:57 PM
    Sorry, I missed Nemory's app. That will certainly help, but it isn't yet headless, which will be a problem for some.

Will people pay for a 3rd party FB Messenger app? Well, that's the question, isn't it? There are many people who use FBM as their message service of choice. It's not as though this is just a fringe thing, used only by a handful. I myself have a friend on iPhone who strongly prefers to use FBM. We tried BBM, but it's just not reliable on iOS, so it wasn't a contender.

I'm not thrilled by the FBM service in the BB10 native app, mainly because the font is so small, and can't be adjusted. But it works fine, with prompt notifications and Hub integration, and it shows whether a sent message has been sent or seen.

The Android app is free; I don't know how it compares to the Nemory app.
    07-29-14 12:59 PM

Or not.
    Would FB messenger service really stop working on BB10 Hub?
    07-29-14 01:03 PM
    Would FB messenger service really stop working on BB10 Hub?
    I don't know, but I'm imagining that all the mobile Facebook apps use a particular API for the messenger service, and Facebook will stop using that API. Maybe the 3rd party apps will have to be rewritten too; I just don't know. The BB10 Facebook app is written by BlackBerry, not Facebook. Possibly Facebook won't care about apps they didn't write, and things will just continue as usual for them.
    07-29-14 01:23 PM
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...messenger-app/

"However, according to TechCrunch, users on mobile web, iPad, feature phones, Windows Phone, and desktop can continue to send messages from within the main Facebook app until further notice."

Based from above, I would assume that all non iOS and non Android can still use the in-app messenger.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-29-14 01:46 PM
    So anyone else's Facebook messages no longer coming through the official app?
    08-18-14 05:47 PM
    Apparently it didn't effect BlackBerry users

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 10:50 PM
    Maybe because the facebook is built by blackberry it won't need the messenger app? I don't know just an idea

Posted via CB10
    darkehawke likes this.
    08-18-14 10:56 PM
    Yup, it's only affecting iOS and Android, at least for now.
    08-19-14 12:17 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 app is working. The facebook app on my android phone stopped working and is asking me download FB Messenger. I won't get it because my BlackBerry 10 app can still send and receive messages

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 12:22 PM
    Facebook messenger doesn't appear to be working on my blackberry Q10 anymore. It will no longer update

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 05:34 PM
    The messages on my Facebook app and hub no longer can send or receive messages, a network error appears but feed and everything else works

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:13 PM
    Don't seem to have issues here. Messages send fine.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:15 PM
30 12