I don't see what the fuss is. The MSM is driving another issue, that it knowingly ignored for years except for praise, until forced to report it honestly, but never can help embellishing. That's the story you won't see in the NYT.
    john_v likes this.
    06-04-18 11:06 PM
    This sounds like a case where some carpetbagger journalist is stating the obvious regarding data collection that people accept simply because those people always seem to prefer “free” credit (literally or figuratively) over paying for things with actual cash.
    I am one of the few, I guess, who has refused to use Facebook and LinkedIn, and always would rather pay for a service if the option were offered. However, I fail to see how, even if one paid for Facebook, the users' ( even paying users') data would not be shared if it has to be displayed on a friend's phone or computer.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-18 11:54 PM
    And people use facebook...why?
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    if not personal life, professional life (bosses & boards) force you to. It's disgusting and battery draining, but there's no equally competent (feature wise) paid tool with a massive userbase like facebook.

In short, not even a lesser devil to choose from. Not just FB, any free service in fact doesn't have a paid and comparable equivalent.
    06-05-18 12:20 AM
    Let's not get into conspiracy theories, the article explained that BlackBerry was the only company that Facebook released as having access to their data.

And yet I recall the main contention on Crackberry as to why people should use a BlackBerry was because they didn't do anything with anyone's data, because it was safe. Because, BlackBerry. I would argue that their ToS says they can and will do with customer data what they choose, so perhaps their security and privacy credentials have been at risk all this time (playing devil's advocate).
    Privacy, data safety is marketing speak from a corporation when they had their own ecosystem of hardware and software. But in reality it was all a gimmick. No electronic device can be made to feel improved without user data harvesting. Like Apple has their setup and Android has theirs as on date. BlackBerry's legacy via TCL cannot compete on anything other than physical keys which is the real canadian blackberrys USP.

Their enterprise business (BES servers) and instant email (BIS) effectively died when free MDM and email services were introduced on cell phones. Had it not, the original BlackBerry may have still had a revenue model based on paid instant email services and MDM on up to date BES. All the secusmart and iOT stuff that we hear from them is part of a 2018 marketing speak, much like their earlier history which spoke of data privacy, no monetisation etc.
    Last edited by valer466; 06-05-18 at 12:34 AM.
    06-05-18 12:24 AM
    I must be on another planet. The pre-installed apps on my BlackBerry PRIV cannot be deleted. You are able to disable them, but certainly not delete?

All the same so much for "Privileged Privacy"

Who can one trust?

(Sounds like the former US President Clinton {"I never had sex with that woman [Miss Monica Lewinsky]})”
    06-05-18 01:44 AM
    I must be on another planet. The pre-installed apps on my BlackBerry PRIV cannot be deleted. You are able to disable them, but certainly not delete?

Who can one trust?

(Sounds like the former US President Clinton {"I never had sex with that woman [Miss Monica Lewinsky]})”
    So how would you write your Facebook app without access to Facebook data?
    Priv4U likes this.
    06-05-18 05:26 AM
    Never had the need for Facebook, Instagram, Imessage, LinkedIn or other social media apps.

The PRIV came pre-installed with BBM. Unfortunately, what became of BBM is beyond any words. I disabled it over 1 year ago, no longer meet my needs.

How sad.
    06-05-18 06:44 AM
    Never had the need for Facebook, Instagram, Imessage, LinkedIn or other social media apps.

The PRIV came pre-installed with BBM. Unfortunately, what became of BBM is beyond any words. I disabled it over 1 year ago, no longer meet my needs.

How sad.
    If you can use the quote button (“), than we know who you’re responding to.
    06-05-18 06:46 AM
    Again, rightly or wrongly, I think of lot of us expected more from BlackBerry and to not simply be aiding and abetting the irresponsible data mining practices of others. Was BlackBerry at one point not offering to write the app for Facebook for them after they decided to pull support for BB10? Lol.

I totally understand what you saying...but there is mud on everyone's hands here.
    I won't go into why here, but back in the days when there was a working BB10 FB app, and Facebook actually courted third party developers I started looking into building an application. The truth is any application had to deal with the entire user graph. It was difficult to get any reasonable sub-grouping of the data, even if you only wanted a small amount of that. You also had to sign up as a developer and agree to the terms before finding out all of that. In the end I decided it was too much trouble to sift through all the data I didn't want to find what I needed to support my app idea so I gave up. But somewhere in the depths of the Facebook legal department I am listed as having access to all Facebook user data for anyone who used my app. So I guess in your eyes there is mud on my hands too. It is this kind of uninformed and speculative defamatory statements by people who would be my customers which is why I no longer write mobile applications for the masses.
    john_v, BigBadWulf, conite and 1 others like this.
    06-05-18 09:08 AM
    As usual the real problems here is vocal minority looking to demonize society’s choices instead of accepting what the silent majority knowingly chooses. The silent majority is not as stupid as the vocal minority likes to believe.
    This.
    These two sentences should be permanently displayed on the front page of Crackberry forums.
    eshropshire likes this.
    06-05-18 10:34 AM

Who can one trust?
    The Priv came preloaded with an uninstallable Facebook app?
    06-05-18 10:45 AM

BlackBerry, like all the others, knew this was happening and facilitated it. If you are OK with it, good for you. Personally I find it disappointing that BlackBerry, that prides itself in privacy and security, would have turned a blind eye to what was clearly a questionable practice just to make a quick buck.

To add insult to injury, BB10 failed miserably...so in the end it didn't do them much good anyway!
    BlackBerry doesn't care about the privacy and security of their user's and they haven't for at least a decade now. If they did care, why have so many (at least 100) BlackBerry users ended up facing justice after BlackBerry turned their personal data over to authorities?

BlackBerry itself tells users that they collect, store and share their personal information - including contents of personal messages, browsing info, contacts, calendar and other stuff- in the BlackBerry terms of service agreements. BlackBerry shares your data with third parties, including advertisers and government officials. They are given permission to do so when you agree to their TSA.

The notion that BlackBerry cares about privacy is hilarious.
    06-05-18 12:51 PM
    Y'all have some very misguided expectations on privacy.
    06-05-18 01:01 PM
    I think that comment was about BB10.

BB10 came with Facebook, Foursquare, LinkedIn and Twitter that all automatically get installed with a new OS. All four can be totally deleted off the phone. I routinely deleted those apps until my work started actually using LinkedIn. Then I just kept it until the app stopped working.
    06-05-18 01:59 PM
    Privacy, data safety is marketing speak from a corporation when they had their own ecosystem of hardware and software. But in reality it was all a gimmick. No electronic device can be made to feel improved without user data harvesting. Like Apple has their setup and Android has theirs as on date. BlackBerry's legacy via TCL cannot compete on anything other than physical keys which is the real canadian blackberrys USP.

Their enterprise business (BES servers) and instant email (BIS) effectively died when free MDM and email services were introduced on cell phones. Had it not, the original BlackBerry may have still had a revenue model based on paid instant email services and MDM on up to date BES. All the secusmart and iOT stuff that we hear from them is part of a 2018 marketing speak, much like their earlier history which spoke of data privacy, no monetisation etc.
    Yes, that's what I said. BlackBerry has been and will continue to harvest consumer data. They're just less transparent about it compared to others.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-18 02:22 PM
    So much for the PRIVacy
    06-05-18 04:10 PM
    disappointed. I would hope that Blackberry addresses this point.
    06-05-18 06:50 PM
    Addresses what? They didn't do anything wrong. They required the data for their Facebook app.
    06-05-18 07:46 PM
    I disappoint that blackberry 10os stopped. I use Keyone for a year and am still unhappy. Sometimes app said like this "wait or close app?" often. It sucks. I love smooth, roll, motion with blackberry bold, Q10, and classic. I am thinking about to buy passport. Right now I have KeyOne and classic blackberry. Classic one has light broken and little heat from the battery. I will just keep it as collection. I will consider to buy passport or another classic blackberry. I hate andriod!!! It is so cheap!
    Uglyindian likes this.
    06-05-18 07:46 PM
    So what did they actually DO with it?

"Usher Lieberman, a BlackBerry spokesman, said in a statement that the company used Facebook data only to give its own customers access to their Facebook networks and messages. Mr. Lieberman said that the company “did not collect or mine the Facebook data of our customers,” adding that “BlackBerry has always been in the business of protecting, not monetizing, customer data.” "

Don't forget that BlackBerry had a custom Facebook implementation along with HUB integration. How was this app supposed to function if it didn't have full access to the user's Facebook account?
    Yep
    06-05-18 08:05 PM
    I'm so dang lost. BlackBerry can't protect your privacy if you won't. Which email providers, websites, social media, etc that you choose to accept the terms of.
    06-05-18 09:04 PM
    Privacy starts with your thumb.
    arif b santoso likes this.
    06-06-18 06:05 AM
    Yep
    Why did BlackBerry need to have Facebook on their phones in the first place?

BlackBerry has their own BBM app and should in my opinion be promoting "ONLY" their BBM app on the BlackBerry phones.
    06-06-18 07:21 AM
    I'm so dang lost. BlackBerry can't protect your privacy if you won't. Which email providers, websites, social media, etc that you choose to accept the terms of.
    Good luck with getting anything out of BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has yet to make any comments on their latest "mystery" AAW068 for the PRIV.
    06-06-18 07:24 AM
    Good luck with getting anything out of BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has yet to make any comments on their latest "mystery" AAW068 for the PRIV.
    Getting what out of BlackBerry?
    06-06-18 07:34 AM
98 1234