02-28-14 12:43 PM
34 12
tools
    Even $4 Billion is waaaaaaaay over price!
    For the most widely used instant messaging app in history? Not really.
    JeepBB and siddharth like this.
    02-20-14 09:54 AM
    Btw if you see these figures: just imagine where BBM and Blackberry would be right now, if it would have gone cross-platform as Jim Balsillie wanted it to in the old days...
    Whatsapp is one hell of a ****hole in terms of functions, security... but they were the first guys in the market and they huge user base is the only reason I'm using it!

I try to persuade everyone around me to switch to BBM (I even take their phones and install it), but the first thing they say is: "how can I add people?! No one is on BBM!"
    They just love the whatsapp system they don't give a **** about the security of their data...

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    02-20-14 10:02 AM
    It's all about subscriber numbers.

WhatsApp has half a billion users, is truly cross-platform, and is already monetized. $1 a year isn't it? I realise that its free for a year, but I'd pay a buck to continue using it. For that measly sum, who wouldn't? Hmmm... 450,000,000 users times $1... per year

BBM has 80M users (tops), isn't fully cross-platform (and xBBM has reported "issues"), and isn't monetized.

I doubt anyone will be paying billions, or even millions, for BBM.

Oh, and LOL at the previous crack at the Facebook shares comprising the bulk of this deal being worthless paper with "imaginary value"... 70 bucks a share is it? I should be lucky enough to own such worthless paper.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-20-14 01:58 PM
    Sure, but if they would all actually try to cash those shares I wonder what would happen to the price.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    02-20-14 02:17 PM
    Sure, but if they would all actually try to cash those shares I wonder what would happen to the price.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    There's usually a minimum holding period written into these sorts of deals IIRC... designed to prevent exactly that sort of mass-selling price crash.

It's true that the $15Bn worth of FB shares could be worth more or less tomorrow... but, the chances of it becoming worthless anytime soon are nil. I doubt the worry over a FB shareprice collapse keeps the WA founders up all night, especially with (only!) $4Bn in greenbacks to cushion the blow.
    MrGlenn likes this.
    02-20-14 02:27 PM
    FB also conveniently set their minimum value at $19 billion as well... After all, they own Whatsapp and that alone is worth $19 billion! It's like crazy money going after crazy money in a giant Ponzi scheme.
    02-21-14 03:40 PM
    FB also conveniently set their minimum value at $19 billion as well... After all, they own Whatsapp and that alone is worth $19 billion! It's like crazy money going after crazy money in a giant Ponzi scheme.
    I've read a few articles recently worrying that we might be heading for another tech bubble with hugely inflated valuations for companies.

I recall the last bubble. It was truly silly. Web sites that hadn't ever made a cent in profit being "valued" at millions or billions more than "old industry" stalwarts that employed thousands of people and made millions in profit.

Though, having said that, I think WhatsApp is a genuine success story with a profitable business model. Not sure it's worth $19Bn though.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-21-14 04:40 PM
    Like I said it will hurt whatsapp NOT facebook. Ultimately facebook will inherit a huge database of phones that will seamlessly integrate with Facebook accounts, we all know they didn't buy a new technology! They bought a database, a 450 million user database to integrate into their system, many of which are already facebook users, and the rest will probably have to have accounts soon.

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    02-28-14 12:42 PM
    Ps. I like what's app not a huge fan, as I hate strange numbers messaging me, but I haaaaattteee facebook I feel they represent the ultimate invasion of privacy and should be either regulated or shut down!

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    02-28-14 12:43 PM
34 12