Hi friends!

Bla1ze wrote about that a few days ago:
    The 'messenger' on BBOS would stop working.

But it's not the messenger app, it's for the official Facebook app itself.
    From now on you ain't able to receive messages anymore!
    The app itself somehow keeps working and you are able to see who is online - but that's it.

I don't know about a work-around, but now you have to check the Facebook page for new messages.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 04:38 PM
    As expected, since the app is no longer supported and hasn't been for months now.
    11-30-16 04:45 PM
    So as you're using the CB10 app I'm guessing you're actually the old unsupported native Facebook app on a BlackBerry 10 phone, not the Messenger app on an even older BlackBerry OS phone?

As Bla1ze alluded to in his article, only the Facebook website is supported now on BB10. The older native app carried on working for a while but sounds like the Messages side of it has just been killed off by Facebook along with their Messenger app on BBOS.

As BlackBerry had already told the world to stop using the native BB10 Facebook app and use the website instead months ago there was nothing new for them to announce as far as BB10 goes.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 04:45 PM
    As expected, since the app is no longer supported and hasn't been for months now.
    Nothing more to expect there?

Just read that you won't be able to re-install the .bar on 10.3.3.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 04:47 PM
    So as you're using the CB10 app I'm guessing you're actually the old unsupported native Facebook app on a BlackBerry 10 phone, not the Messenger app on an even older BlackBerry OS phone?

As Bla1ze alluded to in his article, only the Facebook website is supported now on BB10. The older native app carried on working for a while but sounds like the Messages side of it has just been killed off by Facebook along with their Messenger app on BBOS.

As BlackBerry had already told the world to stop using the native BB10 Facebook app and use the website instead months ago there was nothing new for them to announce as far as BB10 goes.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, it was the talk about the "messenger app".
    But what BlackBerry meant was the old Facebook app - lots of people (including myself) did a sideload.
    Now messaging is gone.
    For rest, it's just a matter of time.
    Sad.
    For every good thing (10.3.3) - there comes something bad.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 04:50 PM
    Nothing more to expect there?

Just read that you won't be able to re-install the .bar on 10.3.3.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. As I noted..

Again, given there was no official Facebook Messenger app for BlackBerry 10, there's nothing to discontinue here for BlackBerry 10 users, besides, the Facebook app itself on BlackBerry 10 has already been made a web based solution. Only those who refuse to update to that version and are running the old app would have anything here to discontinue and there should be no expectation that it would continue to work anyway.
    If you load the old BAR file then you're among those who refuse to update to the web based version and shouldn't expect the old BAR to continue working. You were told months ago to stop using it.
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-30-16 04:52 PM
    It's sad.

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-30-16 04:53 PM
    I just got a notification in hub from "messenger" about stopping the support. But everything still works.
    11-30-16 05:57 PM
    I just got a notification in hub from "messenger" about stopping the support. But everything still works.
    No it does not..
    Messages are not updated since today evening - I don't see new messages in old threads what I see on iPhone or on FB running on a PC.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 08:49 PM
    Hmm, so the hub does not update, I can send out messages, but once I close them (to look elsewhere in hub or so) they are not stored
    Trying messenger lite, but apparently, no hub notifications

This is sad, apparently, we�re forced to move to the duopoly world of droid and ios
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-30-16 08:58 PM
    So, is there going to be a workaround that comes up? For those of us who are forced to use FB for business contact - do we need a new phone now? I don't understand why they couldn't just leave it alone and let us use the ancient app...

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-30-16 11:39 PM
    Anyone tried to sideload the old Facebook app to 10.3.3?
    Is that still possible?

Some say it isn't others say it works.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 12:59 AM
    So, is there going to be a workaround that comes up? For those of us who are forced to use FB for business contact - do we need a new phone now? I don't understand why they couldn't just leave it alone and let us use the ancient app...
    Facebook is making changes on the server side, to support new features and security measures. They announced that those changes would be coming many months ago, and that people not using current first-party apps (which never existed for BBOS or BB10, as the apps were third-party apps written by BlackBerry using public APIs that Facebook has since shut down) would start losing features or access entirely. And while the app continued to work for a while after the official deadline, that's just because Facebook hadn't rolled out any changes on the server side that broke anything yet. Now they have, and it's likely that they'll continue to make changes that break other things.

The same thing has happened to other apps already, and will happen to more apps in the future. When you aren't on an actively developed OS, you get left behind, because the rest of the world doesn't stop moving forward. APIs change, minimum requirements change, targeted OS versions change, and technology in general changes. It happened to other OSs (Palm, Symbian, WebOS, Meego, and even older versions of Android and iOS) and it will keep happening.
    12-01-16 02:29 AM
    Facebook is making changes on the server side, to support new features and security measures. They announced that those changes would be coming many months ago, and that people not using current first-party apps (which never existed for BBOS or BB10, as the apps were third-party apps written by BlackBerry using public APIs that Facebook has since shut down) would start losing features or access entirely. And while the app continued to work for a while after the official deadline, that's just because Facebook hadn't rolled out any changes on the server side that broke anything yet. Now they have, and it's likely that they'll continue to make changes that break other things.

The same thing has happened to other apps already, and will happen to more apps in the future. When you aren't on an actively developed OS, you get left behind, because the rest of the world doesn't stop moving forward. APIs change, minimum requirements change, targeted OS versions change, and technology in general changes. It happened to other OSs (Palm, Symbian, WebOS, Meego, and even older versions of Android and iOS) and it will keep happening.
    Thanks for that reply!

But what's so hard about getting those APIs?
    Do they just refuse to give those out?
    Is it too 'much work' implementing others OS in that?
    Do they want money for those and BlackBerry isn't willing to pay for that?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 04:11 AM
    My old app was also wondering fine until last night. I have never updated to the Web app. Sad day. IOS here I come.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 05:00 AM
    My old app was also wondering fine until last night. I have never updated to the Web app. Sad day. IOS here I come.

Posted via CB10
    If that goes on and the old fb won't be working anymore and WhatsApp follows.
    I'm also 'forced' to go iOS - no Android for me.
    Pretty sad, after all that years.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 06:43 AM
    Do they want money for those and BlackBerry isn't willing to pay for that?

Posted via CB10
    I think it is as simple as FaceBook wanting to control the user experience, a euphemism for they want to send you advertising in the feed and don't want third party apps not showing the adds. There are probably other data mining things going on in the official FaceBook apps as well.
    12-01-16 07:40 AM
    Just download an older APK file for Messenger. At least with the official version you can send voice notes etc. The only drawback is that you can't send and receive Messages from within the hub.

You could use the android version of WhatsApp, also! In fact, they extended the support for their native BB10 version.

I do understand where OP is coming from. I also used to like the original native fb app. It lasted longer than it should've done, so we did get more out of it.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 08:44 AM
    Is it possible to install the Android "Facebook Messenger App" .apk?
    And will it work?

Just installed the Face10 messenger and it "kinda" works.
    You can only check the messages manually - but no notification for new mails.
    12-01-16 08:51 AM
    Is it possible to install the Android "Facebook Messenger App" .apk?
    And will it work?

Just installed the Face10 messenger and it "kinda" works.
    You can only check the messages manually - but no notification for new mails.
    Yes it's possible as I have been using it on my spare Q10. You do, however, have to load a previous version of Messenger that was released in April of 2015.

Here is the link for the working APK:
    http://www.androidapksfree.com/apk/m...-apk-download/

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-01-16 08:59 AM
    Thanks to Troy for that info. I suppose I just really liked my BlackBerry and to be honest, I don't care about FB at all but I have clients that message me with it so I unfortunately need to stay in the loop. Looks like bye bye to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 02:16 PM
    Yes it's possible as I have been using it on my spare Q10. You do, however, have to load a previous version of Messenger that was released in April of 2015.

Here is the link for the working APK:
    http://www.androidapksfree.com/apk/m...-apk-download/

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Thanks buddy!
    I will give that a try!

Posted via CB10
    ZeBB45 likes this.
    12-01-16 02:56 PM
    It's unfortunate about the native app, as it worked really nice from the Hub and although it lacked newer features, had an overall nice interaction with BB10. Since it's time to move on, instead of lamenting, here are some alternatives:

Android:

Messenger Lite - Runs very smoothly on BB10, but doesn't have all the features of the "full" app: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1087796

Facebook Lite - Has messaging feature integrated: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lite&hl=es_419

FaceSlim - Best Web wrapper, IMHO, available from BlackBerry World. It has messaging feature integrated and the only downside I've found is that it doesn't save images, even though it has the option: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59993997

Disa - Haven't tried it myself, but some forum users are reporting that it's a good alternative and can also integrate WhatsApp: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...disa&hl=es_419)

Old Facebook and Messenger apks - I'm not a fan of the official apps (I generally detest them even on my PRIV), but some may like them: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...rsion-1044391/

Native:

Face10 and Messenger for Facebook - Nemory's native apps, although certain features are just Web wrapped, such as the chats in both Messenger apps. Experience varies among users. PRO versions have Hub integration, but notifications seem to be inconsistent at times. It has also been reported that the apps don't work well with 10.3.3.

Face10: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59986239 (PRO version available as in-app purchase)

Messenger Lite: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/58299022

Messenger PRO: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/52509887

Rather than recommending a specific alternative, I'd suggest you give them a try and see which one suits your needs and uses better. Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-01-16 02:59 PM
    And I think if just found "some kind" of work-around!

It seems that message feature within to old app is not that dead as it might look like - I noticed some things (did some testing):

1.) You are still able to see who is online;
    2.) It seems that you still can send messages (but will after that you will find in your inbox that error message of "no support anymore".

and here the "kind of work-around".

3.) I just noticed, when some one sent you a message - the top icon will still light up as in the picture (also with that error message):

Facebook app messages stopped working-img_20161201_215120_edit.png

So I installed Nemory Studios "Facebook Messenger LITE" from the AppWorld (with the app alone you don't get any notifications when a mail comes in, you have to check manually).
    But that combination of the old Facebook app + Messenger LITEkinda works without having to check manually.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 03:04 PM
    Ok im sure there is something already on this just haven't found so it ask me to log out and log in after 10.3.3 so is there going to be any type of hub notifications or should I just delete the fb app and use Internet? I noticed nothing in hub for fb which that's fine if that's the case but it's saying something about loggin back in to sync or something?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 03:17 PM
38 12