Research in Motion is not having a good month. The company is battling overseas governments over its secure messaging and e-mail system on the BlackBerry (News - Alert) and now its shares are sitting at an 18-month low. A recent story captured in Marketwatch tells of the pressure the company is under to demonstrate the value of the BlackBerry is a market where popularity is soaring for the iPhone (News - Alert) and Droid.

Stakeholders are expecting a turnaround for RIM, but some investors are discouraged at a dismal outlook. While the company has averaged sales and earnings growth of more than 60 percent per year over the last five years, the stock lost nearly 25 percent of its value since its last earnings report. According to Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros., the biggest challenge for RIM is that it is competing with Apple and the iPhone.

The rapid adoption and success of the Google Android mobile platform is also helping to cut in on its share of the market. Data gathered by Gartner (News - Alert) shows RIM�s share at 18.2 percent in the second quarter, down from 19 percent in the same period last year. In the same period, Android jumped from 1.8 percent to 17.2 percent and Apple (News - Alert) from 13 percent to 14.2 percent. RIM�s numbers for August are expected to be healthy as the company launched the BlackBerry Torch. Introduced early in the month, this model is the first for RIM with a slide-out keypad and to feature the new BlackBerry OS 6 operating system. Analysts feel the sales of this product have been strong, even while competing against the iPhone 4.

The news out of Wall Street is good as it expects RIM to deliver strong double-digit earnings growth for the August quarter. Net income is expected to jump 28 percent to $750.5 million compared to the same period last year. Revenue is expected to grow 27 percent to $4.49 billion. Even as the Wall Street outlook is strong, some analysts believe RIM�s future is rocky. Fewer enterprises will be willing to enter exclusive deals as employees are demanding the capabilities of the iPhone and Droid. In fact, survey results from Bernstein Research reveal that 74 percent of companies in the U.S. and Britain that use mobile e-mail allow non-BlackBerry smartphones.

The value proposition for RIM and its BlackBerry � and the element that drove significant market penetration � was its secure messaging encryption technology. This same technology is the root cause of its problems overseas. The smartphone market is evolving and as more players enter this space, RIM may have to re-think its strategy to effectively compete and stop the shrink of its market share.

Susan J. Campbell is a contributing editor for TMCnet and has also written for eastbiz.com. To read more of Susan�s articles, please visit her columnist page.
    RIM: BlackBerry Still the Dominant Smartphone, For Now

Now i am not posting this as a Android v. Blackberry v. Apple post... but rather as a maybe things will start looking up for Blackberry.

If White Collar American employees are demanding greater CPU/GPU power, and hi-res screens and open source... and everything else the other suppliers are carrying/supplying or utilizing. then maybe the CEO and chair-holders will wake up and realize that RIM NEEDS MORE than it's currently offering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 02:51 PM
    So, where in this article does anything say RIM employees want more from their devices? #misleadingtitle
    09-10-10 03:07 PM
    Where does it mention RIM employees?
    09-10-10 03:08 PM
    I failed to find anything about RIM employees in your excerpt of the article.Did you leave that part out or is it just another bogus title.
    09-10-10 03:09 PM
    I think he might have read it wrong.

Fewer enterprises will be willing to enter exclusive deals as employees are demanding the capabilities of the iPhone and Droid
    To me that says enterprise users in general are demanding for what the Droid and iPhone have.
    09-10-10 03:12 PM

To me that says enterprise users in general are demanding for what the Droid and iPhone have.
    That's what I got out of it as well after reading the entire article.
    09-10-10 03:14 PM
    The "White collar" Americans should be the ones with the high powered devices. Especially if they are making the most money on average it would make since that they have things available to them that can do more. This is what these workers realize. Before blackberries were the high end devices on the market. So to have one you felt important or you've reached a certain status. Now, that same feeling isn't there and those people are seeing others walk around with high def cameras, sick high res screens and access to anything that want and it's brings about envy. There are plenty of people that would drop their blackberry instantly if their company allowed iPhone or Android and paid for it.
    09-10-10 03:15 PM
    That's what I got out of it as well after reading the entire article.
    Yea it was probably an honest mistake. I don't think he would purposely post that and then post the article showing otherwise lol.
    09-10-10 03:16 PM

Yea it was probably an honest mistake. I don't think he would purposely post that and then post the article showing otherwise lol.

Yea i was..... i was thinking about something else and it was to late to edit it.......i'm sure one of the mod-squad will be doing it shortly.

09-10-10 03:17 PM
    Yea i was..... i was thinking about something else and it was to late to edit it.......i'm sure one of the mod-squad will be doing it shortly.

And there we have it.

It's all good. Even though it's not RIM employees, it still gets the point across.
    09-10-10 03:20 PM
    who cares about this article these analyst have been talking crap for years and rim still has great earnings i honestly dont get it no more. every day theres an article talking how rim is doomed every fricken day for a couple years now they have only once come out with strong earnings i dont know why all these analyst have fallen in love with hating this company it is a great company and it makes alot of money period.
    09-10-10 03:34 PM
    who cares about this article these analyst have been talking crap for years and rim still has great earnings i honestly dont get it no more. every day theres an article talking how rim is doomed every fricken day for a couple years now they have only once come out with strong earnings i dont know why all these analyst have fallen in love with hating this company it is a great company and it makes alot of money period.
    The recent hate has started in the past 1-2 years tops. Within the past 6 months serious hate has been coming in as competition is uping the standards and providing feature RIM makes you pay for out of the box.

What is not to understand about why the analysts are hating? BBs have been around for years before the iPhone or Android even existed, yet they just hit 10k apps. Every new device coming out is just a "refresh". Some devices that are one year old will not be getting OS6. RIM new flagship device costs just as much as the competition, yet it using two year old hardware. Other manufactures are providing better hardware on their mid-ranged devices. The iPod Touch has better hardware than any RIM device.

I'm not bashing RIM (I still think they make great device and I absolutely love the Bold 9000), but it is pretty obvious why the analysts are. Please do not say that BB is a business tool and does not need all of this "flashy" and faster hardware. If RIM never entered the consumer market, you would be able to use that point, but they have and you can't. In the consumer market right now, the competition is providing you with better hardware for the same price. This is what is upsetting a lot of these people, and a lot of people in general.

It's 2010, get out of 2008 please.
    09-10-10 03:49 PM
    lol what do you want it called- The title.
    09-10-10 03:53 PM
    lol what do you want it called- The title.
    I'd say something along the lines of "Enterprise users demanding more".
    09-10-10 04:00 PM
    Yea that's a good title for it, and it's not very surprising enterprise users are wanting more. I mean with smartphones becoming a more and more popular asset. The people who were once the only ones with them are being exposed to much more advanced mobile systems in there everyday life, and are stuck looking down and feeling a bit let down by there companies chosen device that isn't doing all the cool stuff they have been seeing lately.
    09-11-10 06:51 AM
    The recent hate has started in the past 1-2 years tops. Within the past 6 months serious hate has been coming in as competition is uping the standards and providing feature RIM makes you pay for out of the box.

What is not to understand about why the analysts are hating? BBs have been around for years before the iPhone or Android even existed, yet they just hit 10k apps. Every new device coming out is just a "refresh". Some devices that are one year old will not be getting OS6. RIM new flagship device costs just as much as the competition, yet it using two year old hardware. Other manufactures are providing better hardware on their mid-ranged devices. The iPod Touch has better hardware than any RIM device.

I'm not bashing RIM (I still think they make great device and I absolutely love the Bold 9000), but it is pretty obvious why the analysts are. Please do not say that BB is a business tool and does not need all of this "flashy" and faster hardware. If RIM never entered the consumer market, you would be able to use that point, but they have and you can't. In the consumer market right now, the competition is providing you with better hardware for the same price. This is what is upsetting a lot of these people, and a lot of people in general.

It's 2010, get out of 2008 please.
    Why are you such a homer? You do nothing but say the same ole stuff, just rehashed and it is really old...I am all for each and everyone having an opinion, but you say it over and over and over....over and over again about how you don't like BB (Minus the 9000). Most of us get it...move on mang.

09-11-10 10:07 AM
    Why are you such a homer? You do nothing but say the same ole stuff, just rehashed and it is really old...I am all for each and everyone having an opinion, but you say it over and over and over....over and over again about how you don't like BB (Minus the 9000). Most of us get it...move on mang.

lol. It's a brain washing tachnique. Only the skilled can utilize it successfully.
    09-11-10 10:27 AM

Isn't that what most do on this site why have you singled out avt123.
    09-11-10 11:01 AM

Am I suppose to make up new opinions on the same subject when it keeps getting reposted? No. Do you have to read what I say? No. Maybe you should take your own advice and move on.

I'm posting the same old stuff because these threads are the same old stuff.
    09-11-10 12:56 PM
    When RIM stops making the same ol' stuff, we'll stop ******** the same ol' way.
    09-11-10 01:06 PM
    I think many BlackBerry users want to switch because they're using older devices and/or devices under very strict BES policies. I have colleagues using three or four year-old BlackBerries because that's what the company provides; they've been handed down from senior managers to managers to new employees over the years. Also, our company enforces strict policies. They cannot install applications, they have to enter a password if they leave the phone on their desk or in their holster for a minute, they cannot customize the device. When someone shows up with an iPhone 4 or a high-end Android, it's not surprising that they want something like that. If employees surveyed could have a top-of-the-line BlackBerry like the Torch with no restrictive policies, they'd be a lot happier.
    09-12-10 01:18 PM
    I really question how many Enterprise users will Still want iPhones/Androids once Strick company policies are applied.

NO App downloading unless App is pre approved:
    NO Web surfing unless Site is Pre Approved:
    NO SMS as that adds to the company plan.
    Only Company email connected to the device.

quite a lot of Fortune 500 companies have strict technology policies, I'm not even close to the only person I know who travels with 2 Notebooks and 2 cellphones because of company technology polices.

What made my 8330 Awesome was it did to everything that the company needed me to use it for very well, I purchased a personal BB because I wanted more. now I have a 9300 for the company, and we are getting given permission to use Doc2Go. it's a slow progression, many apps are available to make our lives easier, but you are requiring IT to test each on 1 at a time, between other tasks, take Apps away from Android/Apple and how much better are they than Blackberrys for the staff.

I think Staff of Fortune 500 company's wanting company iPhones are going to quickly realize it isn't any better than their blackberry's
    09-12-10 03:32 PM
    Am I suppose to make up new opinions on the same subject when it keeps getting reposted? No. Do you have to read what I say? No. Maybe you should take your own advice and move on.

I'm posting the same old stuff because these threads are the same old stuff.
    It does get old hearing over and over from android and iphone users say the same thing about how outdated BB is and we don't know what we are missing. When the truth is there are good things and bad from both. I guess if RIM would step up the consumer part of the phones some would stop. Even if RIM stepped up the hardware and software there would be haters. RIM still is a great phone imo. Next year or so will be interesting.
    09-12-10 08:43 PM
    1ghz Blackberry for all carriers something like the torch would be good. The torch was ok but it didn't sell because

1.) At&t sucks
    2.) Rim didn't match the competition! Idiots! Who are the directors @ rim so I can give out rear naked chokes and armbars!

The browser squares up a lot when u browse. New browser, new OS, same ghz! Wtf!

If the phone was released with all 4 carriers, we would have ate up the torch. Both rim and att are to blame for this.

Yes! The industry needs a powerhouse!
    Last edited by bloodlinebb; 09-12-10 at 11:59 PM.
    09-12-10 11:55 PM
    Yea that's a good title for it, and it's not very surprising enterprise users are wanting more. The people who were once the only ones with them are being exposed to much more advanced mobile systems in there everyday life, and are stuck looking down and feeling a bit let down by there companies chosen device that isn't doing all the cool stuff they have been seeing lately.
    The corporate users typically are provided with BlackBerry devices by their employer with the understanding the devices are intended primarily, if not exclusively, for business tasks. Email, calendar, and instant message applications comprise the bulk of activity in which these users are likely to engage. In these organizations standardized application profiles and an auditable security policy probably rank higher than whether an employee can watch a high-definition movie on their smartphone.
    09-13-10 12:11 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD