Yeah yeah yeah then shut off your Blackberry. GPS has been around for years and because one study says it could lead to Alzheimers I don't buy it.
    "Use it or lose it!"

It is common knowledge that if you do not use your muscles they atrophy.
    Same goes for brain cells.
    You don't need a study to understand that. But there are a few.

The consequences (like the significant increase of cancer cases in young people compared to 30-40 years ago) will become apparent several decades later.
    But, if your brain cells are atrophied, you'll still be carefree and happy.

One can argue that you won't need a brain in the future.
    There are a few big thinkers out there who believe that in 50 years you will be able to describe you brain in software and just upload it on the Internet. No need for a physical brain to represent you.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-29-16 at 01:05 AM.
    05-29-16 12:45 AM
    Yeah yeah yeah then shut off your Blackberry. GPS has been around for years and because one study says it could lead to Alzheimers I don't buy it.
    Yes GPS has been around forever. But not until 15 years ago that it is leaned upon our heads constantly. Common sense tells me that there is a BIG difference in GPS radiation on your body when its a half a foot away from you and when it's leaned against your brain whenever you are taking the call.

As far as the studies it's been confirmed that cell phone is absolutely bad for your health when you are dialing and receiving the call, whenever connection is being established before the phone rings. That's why we are all advised to keep the phone away from our head whenever we are making the call and only put it against our ear when it starts ringing or recipients picks up. I'm aware of that since the professor, who is a good friend of mine, got lobbied by telecommunications company to prove the antennas are safe for the neighborhood. They did prove that (he has shown me the study) but one thing they couldn't prove and never even tried to prove wrong is the amount of radiation when your device emits when it's establishing the connection with the antenna.

Turn your GPS off if you don't need it folks.
    05-29-16 03:51 AM
    "Use it or lose it!"

It is common knowledge that if you do not use your muscles they atrophy.
    Same goes for brain cells.
    You don't need a study to understand that. But there are a few.

The consequences (like the significant increase of cancer cases in young people compared to 30-40 years ago) will become apparent several decades later.
    But, if your brain cells are atrophied, you'll still be carefree and happy.

One can argue that you won't need a brain in the future.
    There are a few big thinkers out there who believe that in 50 years you will be able to describe you brain in software and just upload it on the Internet. No need for a physical brain to represent you.
    Yeah I don't know how this is at all relevant to the article. Unless you are telling me that I'm not using my brain to figure out where I'm going by relying on GPS, which is nonsense. A map tells me the same thing. My father who is 83 years of age has Alzheimers, and has had it for 3 years. This was a man who never smoked, never had high blood pressure, ate a perfect diet his entire life, never drank, and exercised daily. He was the picture of health for a man his age. You know why he developed it? Neither does anyone else. Since the dawn of technology there has always been articles saying that if you do this then it will lead to that. Because one study says something it doesn't make it a fact and is only a guess. Telling me that if I shut off GPS in my phone and stay in excellent physical shape (which I am in) and eat a healthy diet (which I do) will possibly prevent me from developing Alzheimers is a joke. No one really knows what causes it, hence they don't know how to stop it or cure it.

You know what GPS does? It allows us to make sure our father is safe. When we first saw the warning signs of it we turned "find my friends on" on his iPhone to enable us to see where he was at all times of the day. He was still mostly cognitive, but would at times go blank and wander. He was not at the point where he needed total care like he does now and would get angry and combative if he wasn't allowed to go about his daily routine. We took my fathers car away 3 years ago. He would be perfectly stable in the mornings but around 5pm he would become extremely confused and would drive around aimlessly. One day my mother was worried that something was wrong and we were able to use the Find My Friends app to see that my dad had driven to his childhood home by mistake and was sitting in the driveway and had been for about an hour, confused on where he was supposed to go. To me, GPS is a good thing, and not only makes life better, but also safer.
    05-29-16 08:23 AM
    Yeah. If I god forbid got Alzheimers I'm sure I will be able to trace it back to GPS use. Give me a break.
    Plus you really wouldn't care anymore

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 09:46 AM
    Plus you really wouldn't care anymore

Posted via CB10
    So true.
    05-29-16 09:49 AM
    So true.
    What was the topic?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-29-16 09:53 AM
    Yeah I don't know how this is at all relevant to the article. Unless you are telling me that I'm not using my brain to figure out where I'm going by relying on GPS, which is nonsense. A map tells me the same thing. My father who is 83 years of age has Alzheimers, and has had it for 3 years. This was a man who never smoked, never had high blood pressure, ate a perfect diet his entire life, never drank, and exercised daily. He was the picture of health for a man his age. You know why he developed it? Neither does anyone else. Since the dawn of technology there has always been articles saying that if you do this then it will lead to that. Because one study says something it doesn't make it a fact and is only a guess. Telling me that if I shut off GPS in my phone and stay in excellent physical shape (which I am in) and eat a healthy diet (which I do) will possibly prevent me from developing Alzheimers is a joke. No one really knows what causes it, hence they don't know how to stop it or cure it.

You know what GPS does? It allows us to make sure our father is safe. When we first saw the warning signs of it we turned "find my friends on" on his iPhone to enable us to see where he was at all times of the day. He was still mostly cognitive, but would at times go blank and wander. He was not at the point where he needed total care like he does now and would get angry and combative if he wasn't allowed to go about his daily routine. We took my fathers car away 3 years ago. He would be perfectly stable in the mornings but around 5pm he would become extremely confused and would drive around aimlessly. One day my mother was worried that something was wrong and we were able to use the Find My Friends app to see that my dad had driven to his childhood home by mistake and was sitting in the driveway and had been for about an hour, confused on where he was supposed to go. To me, GPS is a good thing, and not only makes life better, but also safer.
    Most people don't walk anymore. They go to the gym instead to keep in shape, burning the energy of the gym.
    Not very efficient or environmentally friendly.

There are always ways to compensate for lack of exercise, even for lack of orientation practice.
    You overdramatize the situation. Nobody said that GPS wasn't useful.

I repeat, you do not need a study to draw the conclusion that not exercising your brain cells makes you dumb.
    05-29-16 10:08 PM
    Most people don't walk anymore. They go to the gym instead to keep in shape, burning the energy of the gym.
    Not very efficient or environmentally friendly.

There are always ways to compensate for lack of exercise, even for lack of orientation practice.
    You overdramatize the situation. Nobody said that GPS wasn't useful.

I repeat, you do not need a study to draw the conclusion that not exercising your brain cells makes you dumb.
    People don't use a horse and buggy anymore, they drive cars. While walking is fine for light exercise saying that it's inefficient only shows your lack of knowledge on exercise in general. While going to the gym isn't for everyone, it's a way to get more out of your workout than any walk could ever give you. People don't just go to the gym to burn calories, they go to build muscle in targeted areas and to push their bodies to be something more, something walking doesn't do especially in targeted areas of the upper body. Walking is fine, but it's hardly a replacement for going to the gym for a rigorous 60-90 minutes workout.

And yes you are correct that I don't need a study to draw the conclusion that not exercising your brain cells makes you dumb. This thread has already made me dumber.

You should probably lay off the GPS during all of your hiking as you've lauded the use of BB maps in the past as the best solution in your "repeated tests." I wouldn't want you to not be exercising those brain cells during your hikes.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-30-16 06:37 AM
    05-30-16 07:12 AM
    Shocking!!
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-30-16 08:08 AM
    Time to go off the grid

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 10:45 AM
    People don't use a horse and buggy anymore, they drive cars. While walking is fine for light exercise saying that it's inefficient only shows your lack of knowledge on exercise in general. While going to the gym isn't for everyone, it's a way to get more out of your workout than any walk could ever give you. People don't just go to the gym to burn calories, they go to build muscle in targeted areas and to push their bodies to be something more, something walking doesn't do especially in targeted areas of the upper body. Walking is fine, but it's hardly a replacement for going to the gym for a rigorous 60-90 minutes workout.

And yes you are correct that I don't need a study to draw the conclusion that not exercising your brain cells makes you dumb. This thread has already made me dumber.

You should probably lay off the GPS during all of your hiking as you've lauded the use of BB maps in the past as the best solution in your "repeated tests." I wouldn't want you to not be exercising those brain cells during your hikes.
    I jog outside, even in -15 C. Never go to the gym. That does not mean that others shouldn't go to the gym.
    I only use GPS when I don't know where I am. When driving or hiking in a foreign country, for the first time, and not always.
    It's useful.

What this study is about is that it proves scientifically that brain cells in the hippocampus are affected if people use GPS excessively and that this is the reason why they lose orientation. Otherwise it was common sense, but this is the scientific proof.
    As simple as that.

That does not mean that exercises could not be conceived to compensate for overuse of GPS to keep your hippocampus cells active, just like muscles are kept in shape by those who go to the gym.
    05-30-16 03:43 PM
    Tin foil hat is too late for many

Posted via CB10
    Even better http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html whole body farrady cage

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-30-16 03:54 PM
    I jog outside, even in -15 C. Never go to the gym. That does not mean that others shouldn't go to the gym.
    I only use GPS when I don't know where I am. When driving or hiking in a foreign country, for the first time, and not always.
    It's useful.

What this study is about is that it proves scientifically that brain cells in the hippocampus are affected if people use GPS excessively and that this is the reason why they lose orientation. Otherwise it was common sense, but this is the scientific proof.
    As simple as that.

That does not mean that exercises could not be conceived to compensate for overuse of GPS to keep your hippocampus cells active, just like muscles are kept in shape by those who go to the gym.
    Lol make up your mind. You just said people going to the gym is inefficient and bad for the environment.

And I would assume that most people use GPS when they don't know where they are going. If they know, I'm not sure why anyone would be using it.

Anyway, let's move on, this is mind numbing.
    DrBoomBotz and Ronindan like this.
    05-30-16 04:33 PM
    Even better http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html whole body farrady cage

Posted via CB10
    Have a read on the reality of the scientific evidence. One isn't promoting a cessation of the use of technology but rather a more responsible usage. Furthermore , yes everyone has to pass on, however this is the first generation living with these technologies all around ,come back and post 20 years from now and you possibly will see that the flippant comments are sad.

https://www.sott.net/article/296453-...agnetic-fields

Following is an excerpt from the link posted following.

"The nature of any environmental factors are uncertain but there have been major environmental changes; including increased population, economic activity, substantial rises in road and air travel; increased home technology involving background electromagnetic fields (mobile phones, microwave ovens, computers), which are unique to these later years and these possible environmental factors cannot be ignored, especially as they probably interact.[ 6 10 27 28 33 ] This list of possible features might be described as �modern living� and the USA is the epitome of �modern living.� - See more at: http://surgicalneurologyint.com/surg....m2f67oQB.dpuf
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 05-30-16 at 05:43 PM.
    05-30-16 05:32 PM
    It's useful.

As simple as that.

I don't mean to be argumentative because I find this interesting, but it does not prove what you say it does at all. It found that some male rats, when subject to similar radiation emitted by cell phones, developed two types of brain tumors. That does not prove a direct correlation but raises questions that need more study. We have found no such results in humans. Of course people should be smart and limit overexposure to all types of radiation (including diagnostic imaging) but it's not time to panic.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-30-16 05:52 PM
    This was discussed on The Current on CBC radio today.
    CBC Radio

Shrinks your hippocampus and increases risk of Alzheimers if you become dependent.

You can listen to it online from anywhere in the world.

By the way, the CBC radio app on BB10 stopped working last week.
    You can still listen to it in the browser.
    Turmeric. Use GPS, eat turmeric. Alzheimer's won't be an issue.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-30-16 07:31 PM
    The tip of the little dipper's handle is the North Star. The sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
    05-30-16 07:53 PM
    The tip of the little dipper's handle is the North Star. The sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
    Yeah, but can it tell me where the nearest Tim Hortons is?
    05-30-16 08:08 PM
    Yeah, but can it tell me where the nearest Tim Hortons is?
    I think you can keep making left or right turns on any Canadian city and you end up in front of a Tim Hortons ;-)
    TgeekB, DrBoomBotz and Uzi like this.
    05-30-16 08:21 PM
    I think you can keep making left or right turns on any Canadian city and you end up in front of a Tim Hortons ;-)
    Eh? Haha
    Ronindan likes this.
    05-30-16 08:44 PM
    I always knew Google Play Services* was bad for you, but now it gives you dementia?

*can we please stop using the sane acronym for multiple things?
    Asvertus likes this.
    05-31-16 12:46 AM
    I still dont understand how they got rats to test GPS! Perhaps autopilot in an electric vehicle? Nah, had to be gas powered long term testing!

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    05-31-16 01:59 AM
    I don't mean to be argumentative because I find this interesting, but it does not prove what you say it does at all. It found that some male rats, when subject to similar radiation emitted by cell phones, developed two types of brain tumors. That does not prove a direct correlation but raises questions that need more study. We have found no such results in humans. Of course people should be smart and limit overexposure to all types of radiation (including diagnostic imaging) but it's not time to panic.
    My original posting was not about the cellphone cancer study. It was about the GPS study which had nothing to do with cancer.
    So none of the criticism applies.

But since you bring that up, here's an article from IEEE Spectrum on the cancer study that I received today.
    It is obviously inconclusive. Nevertheless, proves high incidence of cancer in male rats at high radiation levels. No cancer was detected in the control group. The study is confounding because the control group died earlier, without cancers...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-o...ampaign=060116

I have my own random case study of two people (physicists) sitting sequentially at the same desk (over different periods of time) next to a continuous wave microwave signals source emitting several hundreds milliwats of power in the 2-6 GHZ range and both successively developing the same type of pancreatic cancer, a rare type of cancer.

The Microwaves professor I had in university in the 80's also used to warn us about the health effects of microwave radiation.

This has also been anectdotically known among the microwave engineering community for many decades.

But, certainly, collecting such evidence scientifically and irrefutable on humans is difficult and the industry's interest is low.

In my opinion, the wi-fi routers are more dangerous than the cellphones because they emit continuously for 24/7 at 300-500mW of power, similar to the source in the two pancreatic cancer cases I mentioned.

If you sit or sleep next to a wi-fi router at home or at work, you will accumulate much greater exposure to microwave radiation than from cellphones, unless you talk all day on your cellphone.

The situation is also worse with smartphones than with cellphones, because we now use or cellphones as webbrowsers and laptops as well.
    We use them for much greater periods of time per day than the original studies which determined the FCC standard exposure levels.

Those standards need to be revisited at least for that reason.

It's interesting that the allowed levels of Radiation in US and Canada are at least ten times higher than in Switzerland.
    06-01-16 12:40 PM
    My original posting was not about the cellphone cancer study. It was about the GPS study which had nothing to do with cancer.
    So none of the criticism applies.

But since you bring that up, here's an article from IEEE Spectrum on the cancer study that I received today.
    It is obviously inconclusive. Nevertheless, proves high incidence of cancer in male rats at high radiation levels. No cancer was detected in the control group. The study is confounding because the control group died earlier, without cancers...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-o...ampaign=060116

I have my own random case study of two people (physicists) sitting sequentially at the same desk (over different periods of time) next to a continuous wave microwave signals source emitting several hundreds milliwats of power in the 2-6 GHZ range and both successively developing the same type of pancreatic cancer, a rare type of cancer.

The Microwaves professor I had in university in the 80's also used to warn us about the health effects of microwave radiation.

This has also been anectdotically known among the microwave engineering community for many decades.

But, certainly, collecting such evidence scientifically and irrefutable on humans is difficult and the industry's interest is low.

In my opinion, the wi-fi routers are more dangerous than the cellphones because they emit continuously for 24/7 at 300-500mW of power, similar to the source in the two pancreatic cancer cases I mentioned.

If you sit or sleep next to a wi-fi router at home or at work, you will accumulate much greater exposure to microwave radiation than from cellphones, unless you talk all day on your cellphone.

The situation is also worse with smartphones than with cellphones, because we now use or cellphones as webbrowsers and laptops as well.
    We use them for much greater periods of time per day than the original studies which determined the FCC standard exposure levels.

Those standards need to be revisited at least for that reason.

It's interesting that the allowed levels of Radiation in US and Canada are at least ten times higher than in Switzerland.
    Really? I would never thought of wifi routers as being dangerous. If you think about it, you really can't get away with being around these signals/waves as they envelope us everywhere we go. Keeping a safe distance (not sleeping next to one) is the best we can do i guess. I don't worry about these things too much, just try to enjoy life one day at a time.
    06-01-16 01:19 PM
51 123