This was discussed on The Current on CBC radio today.
    CBC Radio

Shrinks your hippocampus and increases risk of Alzheimers if you become dependent.

You can listen to it online from anywhere in the world.

By the way, the CBC radio app on BB10 stopped working last week.
    You can still listen to it in the browser.
    05-17-16 08:29 AM
    This is known for years.

I saw a documentation in TV where they said, especially people in the north (eskimos) have problems with that. They go out in the snow and navigate with GPS and then the accu is exhausted. Since some years scientists detect a rising mortality especially among younger men, older people find home (without GPS) and survive.
    05-17-16 08:38 AM
    CBC Radio

Shrinks your hippocampus and increases risk of Alzheimers if you become dependent.

Key word extensive. Did they explain what they meant by that? (I guess I could follow the link).
    05-17-16 03:53 PM
    The word Eskimo' s has been replaced by inuit, since late 90's. We have to be political correct these days,

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 05:31 PM
    The word Eskimo' s has been replaced by inuit, since late 90's. We have to be political correct these days,

Posted via CB10
    Be that as it may, I shall continue to cheer for the Edmonton Eskimos anyway.

And extensive underuse of GPS is very bad for my fuel economy as I drive badly around city streets, completely lost.

Posted via CB10
    anon(1852343) and neoberry99 like this.
    05-17-16 06:18 PM
    This is interesting but not surprising. I've damn near forgotten how to write with a pen because everything I do is digital. I still don't understand why people send attachments with text in e-mails instead of just including the text in the e-mail body.
    05-26-16 10:19 PM
    You are wasting your time posting this here! This has been previously discussed here and no one cares. That is till something happens to them. Just read the ignorant comments already posted.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 07:31 AM
    You are wasting your time posting this here! This has been previously discussed here and no one cares. That is till something happens to them. Just read the ignorant comments already posted.

Posted via CB10
    I just read yours.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    05-27-16 08:06 AM
    I just read yours.
    laugh out loud! Yeah, nobody but an "ignorant" 507 viewers & six other posters care.
    05-27-16 06:04 PM
    I just read yours.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    Ditto!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 06:49 PM
    laugh out loud! Yeah, nobody but an "ignorant" 507 viewers & six other posters care.
    Just the attitude I was referring to ignorance isn't bliss FYI. Congrats BTW

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 06:49 PM
    In the end, we're all going to die.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-27-16 07:23 PM
    In the end, we're all going to die.
    I'll drink to that.
    05-27-16 08:10 PM
    Sadly I'm GPS stupid now.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-27-16 10:12 PM
    Odd, I got no issues whatsoever with orientation
    05-28-16 06:15 AM
    Let's not overreact to one study done on rats. Every other study done has shown no correlation.
    05-28-16 06:28 AM
    I would like to know why people have GPS enabled in their phones all the time even when they don't need it? From what I have seen more people have GPS turned on than people who turn it on only when they use it. GPS abuses your battery life if it's on all the time.
    05-28-16 06:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. If I god forbid got Alzheimers I'm sure I will be able to trace it back to GPS use. Give me a break.
    05-28-16 09:25 AM
    Yeah. If I god forbid got Alzheimers I'm sure I will be able to trace it back to GPS use. Give me a break.
    Years ago cigarette smoking was Good for you no? Remember all the Cool ads? Marlboro man etc etc. What has now been confirmed as the lead I causes of not only lung cancer?

Marlboro man, FTW BTW ,kicked the bucket from Cancer!

Big Tobacco railed against the Medical Findings for Decades. Why? They Commissioned their own to disprove the truth.

No difference here ,Mobility and Tech Giants will produce studies to the contrary .

If you truly believe that the long term use of these devices will not affect you, congrats. Simply genius.

This is the first generation who would be using this technology long term. I expect more finding as time goes on.

"The findings shocked some scientists who had been closely tracking the study. �I was surprised because I had thought it was a waste of money to continue to do animal research in this area. There had been so many studies before that had pretty consistently not shown elevations in cancer. In retrospect the reason for that is that nobody maintained a sufficient number of animals for a sufficient period of time to get results like this,� Carpenter says.
    Exposing rodents to radiation for this type of experiment is a tricky business. First, scientists need to be able to calculate exactly how much the rats should be exposed to relative to humans. Too much exposure would not be a good proxy for human use. And with finely calculated low-level exposure rates, scientists still need to be sure they are not going to heat the animals enough to kill them or to cause other health problems. (Subsequent work will be published on the animals� temperatures." Scientific AMERICA. Source.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 09:44 AM
    Years ago cigarette smoking was Good for you no? Remember all the Cool ads? Marlboro man etc etc. What has now been confirmed as the lead I causes of not only lung cancer?

Marlboro man FTW BTW kicked the bucket from Cancer!

Big Tobacco railed against the Medical Findings for Decades. Why? They Commissioned their own to disprove the truth.

No difference here ,Mobility and Tech Giants will produce studies to the contrary .

If you truly believe that the long term use of these devices will not accept you congrats.

The findings shocked some scientists who had been closely tracking the study. �I was surprised because I had thought it was a waste of money to continue to do animal research in this area. There had been so many studies before that had pretty consistently not shown elevations in cancer. In retrospect the reason for that is that nobody maintained a sufficient number of animals for a sufficient period of time to get results like this,� Carpenter says.
    Exposing rodents to radiation for this type of experiment is a tricky business. First, scientists need to be able to calculate exactly how much the rats should be exposed to relative to humans. Too much exposure would not be a good proxy for human use. And with finely calculated low-level exposure rates, scientists still need to be sure they are not going to heat the animals enough to kill them or to cause other health problems. (Subsequent work will be published on the animals� temperatures.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah yeah yeah then shut off your Blackberry. GPS has been around for years and because one study says it could lead to Alzheimers I don't buy it.
    05-28-16 09:50 AM
    CBC Radio

What does taking public transport do to the brain then?
    05-28-16 01:14 PM
    CrackBerry is more toxic to the brain than GPS.
    aha, donnation and TgeekB like this.
    05-28-16 01:20 PM

Marlboro man, FTW BTW ,kicked the bucket from Cancer!

If you truly believe that the long term use of these devices will not affect you, congrats. Simply genius.

This is the first generation who would be using this technology long term. I expect more finding as time goes on.

"The findings shocked some scientists who had been closely tracking the study. “I was surprised because I had thought it was a waste of money to continue to do animal research in this area. There had been so many studies before that had pretty consistently not shown elevations in cancer. In retrospect the reason for that is that nobody maintained a sufficient number of animals for a sufficient period of time to get results like this,” Carpenter says.
    Exposing rodents to radiation for this type of experiment is a tricky business. First, scientists need to be able to calculate exactly how much the rats should be exposed to relative to humans. Too much exposure would not be a good proxy for human use. And with finely calculated low-level exposure rates, scientists still need to be sure they are not going to heat the animals enough to kill them or to cause other health problems. (Subsequent work will be published on the animals’ temperatures." Scientific AMERICA. Source.

Posted via CB10
    The link doesn't take me anywhere useful so I can't verify the source but the OP is talking about the hippocampus shrinking and alzheimer's.
    You are talking about cancer.
    Just get a tinfoil hat, problem solved.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 05-28-16 at 02:26 PM.
    05-28-16 02:11 PM
    The link doesn't take me anywhere useful so I can't verify the source but the OP is talking about the hippocampus shrinking and alzheimer's.
    You are talking about cancer.
    Just get a tinfoil hat, problem solved.
    Tin foil hat is too late for many

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 02:40 PM
    Tin foil hat is too late for many

Posted via CB10
    True.
    Once the bad thoughts get in, its hard to get them out.
    05-28-16 02:54 PM
51 123