I am currently on holiday in Malaysia and I have an existing (and ongoing) blackberry subscription with vodafone back in UK. As vodafone charges an absurd data roaming charges, my blackberry has been switched off and useless on holidays.

Recently, I have discovered that in Malaysia, they have a prepaid blackberry service. I would love to have BIS on holiday here in Malaysia.

The problem is: my blackberry pin is already subscribed to vodafone uk. Will it affect the existing subscription (uk) if I subscribe to the prepaid blackberry service (for only about a week) in Malaysia? I am planning to stay with vodafone when I return to England.
    07-26-10 04:01 PM
    In order to do this you'd need to have your phone unlocked for service on the Malaysian network and you'd also need Vodafone UK to release the PIN which you could then sign up for the Malaysian BIS and again you'd need to have the PIN released again so you could put it back onto Vodafone.
    07-27-10 09:41 AM
    I have already unlocked the phone as I am able to use (non-BIS) sim cards. To release my BB Pin from the Vodafone UK network, does that involve calling them up? Or am I able to just do that on my phone? (Likewise with the Malaysian BIS network, when I return to UK?)
    07-27-10 07:49 PM
    I have already unlocked the phone as I am able to use (non-BIS) sim cards. To release my BB Pin from the Vodafone UK network, does that involve calling them up? Or am I able to just do that on my phone? (Likewise with the Malaysian BIS network, when I return to UK?)
    All you have to do is put in the Malaysian prepaid BIS SIM in your phone, activate it, and voila! Instant BIS service (Internet browsing and BBM + other RIM BIS apps are guaranteed to work).

I did this myself when I went to central america last month and used my Sprint Tour (subscribed to Sprint) with a prepaid BIS carrier there. I activated it without any problems whatsoever (Internet, BBM, RIM apps like MSN, AIM, app world etc all worked perfectly), except....e-mail..you will have to re-register your e-mail accounts with the prepaid BIS carrier.

I actually had an issue with e-mail apparently, my BIS e-mail account got all screwed up when I came back to using Sprint service after having registered my e-mail accounts with the prepaid BIS carrier (I deleted them before coming here though, and called the prepaid carrier to have the service cancelled), but it still wouldn't let me access e-mail settings via Sprint's BIS (everything else worked fine)

I ended up having to talk to RIM tech support agents to have my BIS account completely deleted on their end and reinstated, which ultimately fixed it. They told me to first delete e-mail accounts with my existing carrier before registering them on the new carrier so as to not screw things up in the system. it was one **** of an ordeal lol.
    07-27-10 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD