Were not done, folks! In addition to getting some hands-on time with the BlackBerry Touch (Monaco / Monza) and the BlackBerry Bold Touch, were back at it again with an exclusive hands-on with the BlackBerry Torch 2. This is really what the original Torch should have been; instead of an underpowered, under-specd handset, the Torch 2 really offers a great experience from what we have seen so far. Physically, the unit is identical to the original Torch with the same physical dimensions, though the internal changes are pretty massive at least, relative to the original Torch. The 640 x 480-pixel display looks absolutely great on the BlackBerry Torch 2, and with a 1.2GHz CPU paired with OS 6.1, this thing could light a fire. We are told that the BlackBerry Torch 2 is tracking for a July release on AT&T, with an announcement at Blackberry World in May, of course. Check out the rest of our BlackBerry Torch 2 photos in our hands-on gallery!

Source: BGR
    Last edited by rroyy; 04-08-11 at 09:36 AM.
    04-08-11 09:32 AM
    Damn - was really hoping they'd improve the keyboard a little bit. Oh well - still can't wait to see this thing up close. Thanx for posting!
    04-08-11 11:09 AM
    Damn - was really hoping they'd improve the keyboard a little bit. Oh well - still can't wait to see this thing up close. Thanx for posting!
    why didn't you like it?
    04-08-11 11:56 AM
    Doesn't it have a landscape mode or are all those pics sideways?
    04-08-11 12:48 PM
    why didn't you like it?
    It's not so much that I don't like it -- I got spoiled by the Bold 9000 and the Torch's keyboard just isn't quite as good. The keys are a bit too flat - I wish they were slightly more rounded or something. But I'm getting by - not a deal-breaker by any stretch. Still very much torn between this and the Bold Touch. I think a lot will depend on how much truly mobile use I get out of the PlayBook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-11 02:02 PM
    It's not so much that I don't like it -- I got spoiled by the Bold 9000 and the Torch's keyboard just isn't quite as good. The keys are a bit too flat - I wish they were slightly more rounded or something. But I'm getting by - not a deal-breaker by any stretch. Still very much torn between this and the Bold Touch. I think a lot will depend on how much truly mobile use I get out of the PlayBook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I see you. I've been trying to look at pics to see what the keyboard looks like. Specs wise, the T2 is on point, but the Torch 1 seemed speedy to me. Though I am coming from an env3 and I now have a 9650. But my 9650 isn't that slow in my opinion.

I haven't had the pleasure of the 9000 keyboard, but that's all everyone talks about around here. What are the differences between all the keyboards?? Is it size?
    04-08-11 02:30 PM
    I see you. I've been trying to look at pics to see what the keyboard looks like. Specs wise, the T2 is on point, but the Torch 1 seemed speedy to me. Though I am coming from an env3 and I now have a 9650. But my 9650 isn't that slow in my opinion.

I haven't had the pleasure of the 9000 keyboard, but that's all everyone talks about around here. What are the differences between all the keyboards?? Is it size?
    If I had a decent camera (that wasn't in one of the phones I want to snap), I'd snap a pickie to show you. So you'll just have to wade through a narrative.

Holding them side by side --
    Torch's actual keyboard width is 2 1/8", Bold's is 2 3/8". Doesn't sound like much, but it's almost a 12% difference. Accordingly, the Torch's keys are all that much narrower.
    Torch's keyboard is recessed into the lower slider, while the Bold's sits above the rest of the phone's surface. Torch also has that lip around the outside of the keyboard slider which, even though you get used to, still kind of intrudes on typing.

That's about it, but the difference in feel is significant. While I continue to slowly improve my accuracy with the Torch, after six months I still find myself frequently mistyping and having to make a lot of corrections; I very, very seldom had that problem with the Bold.

It may sound like I'm nit-picking, but you have to remember that one of the biggest attractions to me about BB's is their keyboards. I still love this Torch; the benefits of the bigger display, touch screen, and OS6 still outweigh the better keyboard of the Bold. It's the best phone I've ever owned and I don't for a second regret getting it. But now holding both phones for the first time in a long time (Bold has been boxed up for most of the last 6 months), I realize (again) how $!@^& comfortable the Bold keyboard is.

Now that I've got them both out side by side, taking a look at the display size, the Bold isn't all that much smaller than the Torch. Holding the Torch horizontally, the difference in screen sizes is about 3/8" in height and only 1/4" in width. And the Bold Touch display is reportedly .2" bigger diagonally than the 9000, which narrows that difference even further. Holding the Torch vertically, as you would when typing on the physical keyboard, the Bold's display is actually over 1/4" wider (but a more noticeable 1" shorter).

I know this is the Torch 2 thread and I hope I'm not coming across like I'm pissing on it. Torch 2 is without a doubt going to be a great phone. But doing this little side-by-side comparo between two old devices that are very similar to the two new ones, I'm leaning just a little bit more now towards the Bold Touch. If the Bold Touch's keyboard is anything close to the 9000's, I think my choice is made.
    04-08-11 06:21 PM
    The difference in the keyboard was enough to cause me some hand pain, briefly. But I WILL be getting a T2.
    04-09-11 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD