Giving up my BB was a sad day not only because I love my keyboard, but because I've always been genuinely excited about my BB phones - there's always been a feature or function of the devices that has made using them a real joy. With the lack of updates to the K2, I tried a couple of slabs and landed on the LG V60, which wound up being a terrible choice. Software and hardware issues galore. A couple of weeks ago, I called in to see if I could upgrade and long story short, I got a moto razr 5g. I absolutely love this thing! It's as close to a BB experience as I've ever had...

The foldable design is what interested me in the first place, but it's the outer screen that has me hooked. With the phone closed, I can quickly see, read, dismiss and even respond to notifications. It's very reminiscent of the BB10 peak feature. I'm using the BB Inbox app and it works flawlessly to display new messages on the outer screen. You can tell that moto put in a ton of work making sure this feature was rich in functionality. Most apps can actually fully run on the outer screen also. So if I need to do a simple task like disarm my alarm, no need to open the phone.

There definitely are a few things I would change hardware wise, but so far, I'm super happy with this phone and if OM winds up actually releasing anything, I'll have to put some serious thought into whether I'll get it and give up my razr.
    03-02-21 11:37 AM
    Thanks. Good to know. I wonder how they coaxed the smallish "outer screen" to play nice with Android? Space for a 9900 sized "outer kb"?? Lol.
    03-02-21 09:10 PM
    lol glad you found a device to tie you over for the time being. I was also checking it out but seen too many things for me to break . I'm really hard on phones and don't know how it'll hold up. looks awesome tho!! and reminds me of my first cell phone the original moto RAZR. just before my first blackberry
    03-02-21 09:20 PM
    WouId be interesting to use the BB keyboard on that Razr 5G
    03-02-21 10:21 PM
    isn't there a place for this thread.....
    Oh yeah here it is.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...l#post13540748

I've moved on to the Note 10 when it came out and now using the S21+. Thanks... I feel so much better.
    03-03-21 10:31 PM
    what's the battery life like on the new razr?
    03-04-21 04:48 PM
    WouId be interesting to use the BB keyboard on that Razr 5G
    Still some nos 9900 kb's around... lol.
    03-06-21 04:10 AM
    Giving up my BB was a sad day not only because I love my keyboard, but because I've always been genuinely excited about my BB phones - there's always been a feature or function of the devices that has made using them a real joy. With the lack of updates to the K2, I tried a couple of slabs and landed on the LG V60, which wound up being a terrible choice. Software and hardware issues galore. A couple of weeks ago, I called in to see if I could upgrade and long story short, I got a moto razr 5g. I absolutely love this thing! It's as close to a BB experience as I've ever had...

The foldable design is what interested me in the first place, but it's the outer screen that has me hooked. With the phone closed, I can quickly see, read, dismiss and even respond to notifications. It's very reminiscent of the BB10 peak feature. I'm using the BB Inbox app and it works flawlessly to display new messages on the outer screen. You can tell that moto put in a ton of work making sure this feature was rich in functionality. Most apps can actually fully run on the outer screen also. So if I need to do a simple task like disarm my alarm, no need to open the phone.

There definitely are a few things I would change hardware wise, but so far, I'm super happy with this phone and if OM winds up actually releasing anything, I'll have to put some serious thought into whether I'll get it and give up my razr.
    That is pretty awesome. Foldables have some way to go but one can certainly see their potential, I had the Huawei Mate XS for a little while last year and really enjoyed it, but there was still some work to be done in terms of refinement.

I believe Mr.Mobile (Michael Fisher) really enjoyed the Razr 5G to, up until he broke it and even then it was not the foldable display he broke, if I remember correctly it was the outside of the phone that he messed up.
    03-06-21 02:51 PM
    what's the battery life like on the new razr?
    Terrible haha. Luckily, I don't do a lot of social media or games, so I get through an entire day, but if I make some video calls, I definitely notice the battery drain.
    03-06-21 05:18 PM
    That is pretty awesome. Foldables have some way to go but one can certainly see their potential, I had the Huawei Mate XS for a little while last year and really enjoyed it, but there was still some work to be done in terms of refinement.

I believe Mr.Mobile (Michael Fisher) really enjoyed the Razr 5G to, up until he broke it and even then it was not the foldable display he broke, if I remember correctly it was the outside of the phone that he messed up.
    Yeah, I watched that review while I was waiting for mine to arrive. I'm not using a case, so I'm being as careful as possible. I've never been one for insurance on phones, but I opted for it with the razr.

I'm really hoping that this form factor picks up more steam. Devices are getting much too big IMO. I agree that there's definitely lots of room for improvement, but I think the concept has been proven, so now it can only get better.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-06-21 05:25 PM
    Interestingly, the external display seems to be 4:3, 800x600, 2.7". That screen's mighty reminiscent of Bold 9900's 4:3, 2.8"... Motorola seems to have accommodated some android functionality with it... Android "rules" seem happy enough with it?

Wondering if the external display might accommodate landscape/portrait transition?

Wandering minds wonder...
    03-07-21 05:30 AM
    Interestingly, the external display seems to be 4:3, 800x600, 2.7". That screen's mighty reminiscent of Bold 9900's 4:3, 2.8"... Motorola seems to have accommodated some android functionality with it... Android "rules" seem happy enough with it?

Wondering if the external display might accommodate landscape/portrait transition?

Wandering minds wonder...
    Yeah, it's super impressive how they've gotten these apps to all run in a tiny landscape. Only a few apps want to remain portrait.
    03-08-21 02:50 PM
    Yeah, it's super impressive how they've gotten these apps to all run in a tiny landscape. Only a few apps want to remain portrait.
    Hmm... What's the big button on the lower front do? Is it a physical latch? Or does it do anything with the UX? Like "home" button? Oreven trackpad? Lol.

Also, does pinch zoom work on the front screen? "Normal" scroll & pan touch UX?

What about typing on the small screen?

How often do you open to view full size?
    03-08-21 10:12 PM
    Hmm... What's the big button on the lower front do? Is it a physical latch? Or does it do anything with the UX? Like "home" button? Oreven trackpad? Lol.

Also, does pinch zoom work on the front screen? "Normal" scroll & pan touch UX?

What about typing on the small screen?

How often do you open to view full size?
    On the front is the camera. I'ts nice because for video calls with the phone closed, I'm using the "good" camera.

Regular scrolling, yeah. Pinch to zoom seems to work. The photos app doesn't run on the outer screen, but I can zoom on my connected baby monitor.

Typing on the outer screen is actually pretty nice. I find I use the swipe typing more on the outer, which is oddly really fun and satisfying haha.

Hard to quantify, but I would say I open the phone about half the time. For the texts and stuff I get during the day that just require a few back and forths, I keep the phone closed. When I have a few minutes to sit down ans catch up on some news or something, I open it up.
    03-08-21 10:32 PM
    On the front is the camera. I'ts nice because for video calls with the phone closed, I'm using the "good" camera.

Regular scrolling, yeah. Pinch to zoom seems to work. The photos app doesn't run on the outer screen, but I can zoom on my connected baby monitor.

Typing on the outer screen is actually pretty nice. I find I use the swipe typing more on the outer, which is oddly really fun and satisfying haha.

Hard to quantify, but I would say I open the phone about half the time. For the texts and stuff I get during the day that just require a few back and forths, I keep the phone closed. When I have a few minutes to sit down ans catch up on some news or something, I open it up.
    Great info. Thanks. How much of the screen remains visible while vkb is displayed? Half? Or?

Also, have you tried pairing a BT keyboard and/or mouse?
    03-09-21 12:45 AM
    Great info. Thanks. How much of the screen remains visible while vkb is displayed? Half? Or?

Also, have you tried pairing a BT keyboard and/or mouse?
    The keyboard takes up the entire outer screen.

Haven't tried pairing a BT anything.
    03-09-21 03:07 PM
    The keyboard takes up the entire outer screen.
    Hmm. Just to clarify, you're saying there's no "text box" displaying your typed input?
    03-09-21 04:08 PM
    Hmm. Just to clarify, you're saying there's no "text box" displaying your typed input?
    Sorry. I realize that was confusing. Here's a picture. As you continue typing, it scrolls across instead of going to a new line.
    Attached Thumbnails Excited about my smartphone again!-img_20210309_145421.jpg  
    idssteve likes this.
    03-09-21 05:00 PM
    Sorry. I realize that was confusing. Here's a picture. As you continue typing, it scrolls across instead of going to a new line.
    That is slick
    idssteve likes this.
    03-09-21 09:12 PM