RIM's BlackBerry 7 Models Could Prove Good Enough to Win Back Buyers

By: Wayne Rash
    2011-08-07

News Analysis: New BlackBerry 7 devices will be released by three carriers within a few weeks. The new devices, with touch-screens paired with QWERTY keyboards and a new all-touch model, deliver fresh approaches that might enable Research In Motion to stem its market-share loses.

Research in Motion�s rather low-key announcement of its OS7 devices belied the importance of the new BlackBerry devices to RIM�s recovery. The new devices include an all-touch-screen version of the Torch, a touch-screen version of the Torch with a slide-out keyboard and a new, super-thin version of the Bold. At least three major carriers in the United States will sell these new devices in the coming weeks.

The question that most people will have is whether these BlackBerry devices are good enough to knock the iPhone and the Android universe out of their respective leadership positions. The answer is, probably not.

But they may be good enough to stem the current slide in BlackBerry sales, and perhaps gain back some market share. The secret to their potential success is that these devices offer something for everyone who wants a better BlackBerry experience, but who doesn�t want an Android or iOS device.

Despite the rabid fans of Android and iOS-based devices, there are a number of reasons BlackBerry devices still hold a solid percentage of the market share. Perhaps most important, a BlackBerry is inherently more secure than either an iOS or Android device. This is why you�ve seen governments, ranging from those of India to Indonesia, trying to keep BlackBerry devices out of their countries with little success. Their intelligence agencies can�t crack the military-grade encryption that RIM uses for BlackBerry Messenger. You don�t see efforts to ban iPhones or Android devices.

The second is that BlackBerry devices, along with BlackBerry Enterprise Services integrates more seamlessly into the enterprise-computing environment than do other devices. This explains why you see federal employees carrying BlackBerry devices here in Washington, but you rarely, if ever, see them use anything else for official business. While Apple especially has made significant inroads into the enterprise, there are still some tasks it�s not up to.

But in reality, the biggest hurdle for RIM isn�t in the enterprise. RIM needs to be accepted by consumers as well as by business and government users. Can it accomplish that task? The answer is, maybe. A great deal will depend on how good the user experience is when the first BlackBerry 7 devices hit the street. If they work well, they�ll likely find consumer acceptance, if they�re clunky or slow, then they won�t.

RIM is betting that new devices will be enough of a leap ahead of the BlackBerry 5 and 6 models that they will turn users� heads.

The company is hoping that the new faster browser, the new faster hardware platform and the new capacitive touch-screen, along with new applications, will get attention from people who aren�t iPhone advocates. RIM is also likely hoping that the ability to get a real keyboard that�s easy to type on will also make a difference to people who just don�t like touch-screens.

Another new capability that will make the new BlackBerry devices an alternative to the iPhone is the ability to use 4G from AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T will be offering 4G-capable versions of the Torch 9810, the Bold 9900 and the Torch 9860, which is the all-touch version of the Torch. T-Mobile will start with the Bold 9900, which has both a touch-screen and a keyboard in the standard BlackBerry layout. A company spokesperson told eWEEK that RIM will make announcements later about other new BlackBerry devices.

Sprint isn�t getting 4G, but it is getting the Bold 9930 and Torch 9850 all-touch devices. Sprint�s BlackBerry phones are global phones that support both CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and GSM and will work nearly anywhere in the world, as will the AT&T and T-Mobile devices. Right now, there�s no word from Verizon Wireless regarding the new BlackBerry devices, but close examination of the specs shows that the CDMA versions of the Bold and Torch will work with Verizon�s network and its 3G data services. There is currently no support for Verizon�s LTE (Long-Term Evolution) service on the new devices.

On paper, the new BlackBerry lineup looks pretty good. The question of whether they�ll stem RIM�s decline depends on how good they actually are. In the past, RIM has made very solid hardware that worked as well or better than most of its competitors. Email and enterprise support has always been the BlackBerry sweet spot. But as well as these devices work, they�ve never been accused of being cool. In fact, the word utilitarian comes to mind. For example, while a BlackBerry will let you watch a video if you so desire, I don�t think I�d want to watch a movie on one of the current models. I might consider watching a movie on an iPhone or Android device.

So it really boils down to how well BlackBerry hardware works in comparison to the competition and how well supplied the BlackBerry AppWorld is. These days, the applications are a lot of what sells a smart phone, and there needs to be a lot of applications that work with BB OS7 if this phone is going to sell.

RIM's BlackBerry 7 Models Could Prove Good Enough to Win Back Buyers - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
    08-07-11 06:03 PM
    yep, thats were it stands. I for one believe they'll do fine..
    08-07-11 08:49 PM
    I thought apps were not going to gain much head way till QNX
    08-07-11 11:43 PM
    I think it will win back the bb faithful who test drove other platforms. But don't see people who are on Android and ios for the browser/apps coming back anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 12:47 AM
    I think it will win back the bb faithful who test drove other platforms. But don't see people who are on Android and ios for the browser/apps coming back anytime soon.

Looks like the browser in OS7 is as good as, or maybe better than the competition from the demos shown in videos and scores we've seen posted. I can't wait to see if this is indeed the case. Apps there is definitely still a huge differential compared to the competition and I don't see that changing until the QNX phones are out and that ecosystem matures significantly, and even then they will never catch up in the number of apps.
    08-08-11 07:35 AM
    I'm actually bummed that I cannot help the cause since I have no upgrade eligibility until April 2012. Seeing the walkthrough videos really encouraged me...particuarly the one for the all-touch Torch, though I find the Bold Touch most droolworthy. Hopefully these OS7 devices will prop RIM up long enough to get some LTE QNX devices going around the time I'm ready to upgrade this time next year.
    08-08-11 08:45 AM
    I'm in. Screw upgrade eligibility. I'm grabbing two on release. One for me and one for my wife. Ok, maybe one for me and she can wait a few months for upgrade.
    08-08-11 08:57 AM
    I think it is slightly amusing to see the launch labelled as low-key when it would only seem that way to a american-based writer as it was more of an event than previous ones.

Personally, I think these devices won't convert people who moved because they disliked blackberry, but it will win back some who left due to bb specs falling behind, will stop people leaving and will have new people considering them again, so while the bb-haters in the blogging world will continue to hate them they will reflect reality even less than they do now.
    08-08-11 01:00 PM
    its not even so much that rim is behind, because they are performance wise big time. You can deal with it, the problem relies on the APPS that many people rely on for business as well as pleasure. Simple thing as mobile banking is not offered for all banks for blackberry only specific ones. Theres just to many to list. I wish they would start getting apps although i dont think they have any interest in that. I'm dieing to go back to a blackberry, although have no choice but to stick with the iphone for work purposes =/
    08-09-11 02:54 PM
    3G/3G+/3.5G HSPA/HSPA+, not 4G. But regardless, the new devices will and should make headway.

08-10-11 12:38 AM
    Maybe it's because RIM hasn't released anything in quite some time but with the upcoming release of the 9900, this is the first time in a long time where I hear/see people being excited for a BlackBerry again. I hope sales reflect the level excitement I'm seeing.
    08-10-11 09:40 AM

After going through 3 Droid X's, I'm coming back. Every time my DRoid X broke/locked up/key pad quit working, I went back to my Storm 2. On my Android I still miss some of my emails (other than gmail) and that is frustrating. I have iMac and iPad and iTouch am very happy with them. I'm one of those people that just want a phone to work while I text and email. I can't explain it but I'm sorta had my fill with how Apple is trying to make social decisions for me by not allowing apps that they deem not PC in their app store. You pay attention, I bet there are a whole lot more of us that love Apple products but feel they are getting a little too big for their britches.
    drjay868 likes this.
    08-12-11 10:14 AM
    I can't explain it but I'm sorta had my fill with how Apple is trying to make social decisions for me by not allowing apps that they deem not PC in their app store. You pay attention, I bet there are a whole lot more of us that love Apple products but feel they are getting a little too big for their britches.
    "apps that they deem not PC"? To what exactly are you referring?

As for your bet, I'll take it. I don't think most people care.
    08-12-11 10:22 AM

I apologize. Been watching a lot of FOX. "PC" is short for "politically correct."

As far as the "bet", I could have made a better choice of words. I'm basing that statement on the people I work with and go to Church with as we discuss cell phones (pretty deep stuff, huh?). You are probably right...most people don't (won't) care...
    08-12-11 10:34 AM

If you are talking about the specific "apps", you can PM me.
    mmcpher likes this.
    08-12-11 10:36 AM
    If you are talking about the specific "apps", you can PM me.
    If you aren't willing to post them here in an open forum, then that's all I needed to know.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-12-11 10:40 AM
    If you aren't willing to PM me, then that's all I needed to know.
    08-12-11 10:56 AM
    Heh... I was able to get a 9810 and 9900 today. I played with an evo 3d and i really liked it while they sorted out how to get me the phone in the rogers store even though they couldn't really help me in the store because of our corporate account...

The evo 3d is a really cool phone.. Fast,beautiful screen and i like the case etc.. I wasn't as excited about my new phones when i left because of it.

But now.. Wow.. the 9900 is pretty awesome.. Camera takes nice pictures (for me anyhow) and i was going to wait for the 9860 to land on rogers but now i'm second guessing it and thinking of staying with the bold.. The browser is on par with my iphone 4 i was using.. The screen is super clear and web pages etc look bright with alot of contrast and the keyboard is sooooo much better then the 9700 i was rocking this past month since i said **** with the iphone (huge reception issues all over (after warranty))

I showed a few people that were waiting for the new iphone, and now they are thinking they might just jump on this.. LOL.
    08-12-11 02:33 PM
    I decided to wait things out til next year. I'm able to do so much more with my inspire. OS7 looks like an improvement but its still lacking in the apps department. Mainly apps that I use to keep track of stocks etc,,,etc,,

08-12-11 04:18 PM
    I think the first thing that the QNX BB's need to have is the best browser on the market. No doubts. It absolutely has to be better than anything else. As the lack of apps can be counteracted by the best browser, well for the launch anyway.

I still think the apps will go more and more online...

Either way, I think QNX will be the game changer. I doubt that RIM will pull off a Windows style market dominance, but I can see it overtaking the iPhone and without doubt, WP7.

Just my 2 pence!
    08-12-11 04:42 PM
    There's a lot of people who went from BB to Android because a) their BB was too slow and/or b) they wanted an iPhone but hate ATT. So they picked up an Android phone. Of those, some went high-end Android and some went bargain basement. People running out their 2-year commitment on Samsung Intercepts or similarly underpowered Android devices will either go iPhone or BB. If they're on Verizon, they'll wait for the iPhone 5. If they're on Sprint, they will a) wait to see if the iPhone is really coming to Sprint, b) check out the new Evo 3D or Photon, or c) come back to BB.

Disgruntled Verizon Android userd will probably think twice before committing to another device. Same with Sprint users. I don't think RIM is going to get many iPhone converts. Their opportunity, as I see it, is keeping existing BB users and wooing back people who jumped to Android and weren't enamored by the experience. Given that spec-wise the new BBs are up to the task, I think it will come down to battery life and not apps. I think the average person would rather have a BB with 50% battery at 10:00PM than an Android phone with Angry Birds and a dead battery.

There' a lot of people who switched from BB who are just OK with their new phone, but admit they miss the BB experience. If the new crop of phones have any wow factor, then some will come back. If some of these people are teenagers and considered 'cool', then the cool wannabees will follow (just like they did when they switched to iPhone). If the right group of kids get back on BBM, their followers will follow. Add to this the word-of-mouth publicity based on India and UAE hating not being able to decrypt BB data and the 'cool' factor of BB being the 'weapon of choice' during the recent riots can't hurt.

It's been a long time since RIM has introduced a new ground breaking phone (let alone 3 at once with a 4th soon to follow). The waters will be tested by the Bold and the Torch Twins. If priced correctly, however, I think the new Curve will be the phone to watch.
    08-12-11 04:56 PM
    I think the first thing that the QNX BB's need to have is the best browser on the market. No doubts. It absolutely has to be better than anything else. As the lack of apps can be counteracted by the best browser, well for the launch anyway.

I still think the apps will go more and more online...

Either way, I think QNX will be the game changer. I doubt that RIM will pull off a Windows style market dominance, but I can see it overtaking the iPhone and without doubt, WP7.

Just my 2 pence!
    I strongly disagree, R.I.M needs 3rd party support more than anything else right now. The playbook is said to have the best browser, yet it's having a hard time catching on with the general public.
    08-12-11 05:09 PM
    Tablets are different from the phones in my opinion. The Playbook needs to get apps but as I say, for launch - the leading browser off sets this. But you are right, they need the support to come.

The QNX phones I think should try to win over the more price sensitive consumers, and those who weren't impressed with the Android handsets. The loyal BB users will go for it, and probably most BB users who are satisfied will go for it too.

I came from the iPhone and it was the email and keyboard that made me switch. I don't care about the lack of apps. At least I can make better calls, better emails, and BBM.
    08-12-11 05:18 PM
    I thought apps were not going to gain much head way till QNX
    No one knows for sure. You can bet if the OS7 phones sell lot hotcakes you'll see an uptick in the new apps.

08-12-11 05:32 PM
    I came from the iPhone and it was the email and keyboard that made me switch. I don't care about the lack of apps. At least I can make better calls, better emails, and BBM.
    That's fine for you, but many people are switching from BB to iPhone/Android despite them not having a keyboard or the better e-mail setup. So for them to switch back to a BB, they have to blow everyone out of the water with something the competition doesn't have, QNX has to be amazing, there has to be a ton of apps and all this has to happen VERY soon. Do you honestly see that happening?
    08-12-11 05:36 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD