After reading Bla1ze' post re: Neato BotVac and QNX (It might not run BBM but the new Neato BotVac is powered by QNX | CrackBerry.com) I had a brain wave for the evolution of BBM.... and QNX.

Imagine if we could add QNX powered appliances and gadgets to our BBM contacts list or as to a separate category like channels.

The gadget or device, obviously connected to the interweb would then send updates/status info right into BBM.

Take it a step further [and I'm not sure how the UI would work but], one could then theoretically control these devices/gadgets/appliances.... using BBM as the 'hub' without having to download tens of gadget or brand specific apps.....

Thoughts anyone!?

(PS - someone may have thought of this before.... I haven't checked!)

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 11:48 AM
    The part where you can connect QNX powered appliances is an awesome idea! Just not from BBM... Maybe a new application built into the OS? An application titled "devices" maybe...? It just seems illogical to use a messaging app to time off your dryer..
    03-15-14 12:24 PM
    The part where you can connect QNX powered appliances is an awesome idea! Just not from BBM... Maybe a new application built into the OS? An application titled "devices" maybe...? It just seems illogical to use a messaging app to time off your dryer..
    Not sure about the control aspect of it, but as far as BBM connected goes... It could be done by way of a "My_Home" channel in which you can view periodic or triggered updates/alarms/notifications on different device/appliance status as part of your feed.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 12:31 PM
    one could then theoretically control these devices/gadgets/appliances.... using BBM as the 'hub' without having to download tens of gadget or brand specific apps.....
    You could do that with some standard features, but you would still need an app (or other kind of interface, like one through a web browser) for the specific set of features that each manufacturer will want to implement into its product in order to differentiate it from the competition (Unless BlackBerry would work with each and every one of those manufacturers in order to integrate all those specific features into BBM. Without giving it much thought, I find this solution to be too cumbersome and counter-productive).

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    03-15-14 12:39 PM
    You could do that with some standard features, but you would still need an app (or other kind of interface, like one through a web browser) for the specific set of features that each manufacturer will want to implement into its product in order to differentiate it from the competition (Unless BlackBerry would work with each and every one of those manufacturers in order to integrate all those specific features into BBM. Without giving it much thought, I find this solution to be too cumbersome and counter-productive).

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    It would be cool if each device had its own "pin" number and you could add these devices as a contact. Could bbm a device and say "power off" or "start vaccuming"
    03-15-14 12:51 PM